dB volume suggestion

Thanks to the guy down the street letting his rabbits loose a few years ago, I've been getting a ton of them in my yard this year. They eat my garden then leave "treats" that my dog likes to snack on (SO gross).

My problem is that live in a very tight neighborhood and I see them out when I get home from work around 11pm, so it's very quiet out. I shot at one the other night with my FX Crown in .22, and it was far too loud, even with the DonnyFL attached. The sound echoed between the houses. Probably not as bad as I fear, but far more than I was comfortable with. I just don't want to alarm the neighbors at 11pm and have them look outside as a guy walks around with a rifle. Being considerate of them is far more important than the damn rabbits.

So could anyone suggest a break barrel that they know is quieter than my Crown? I'd like a .177. Keep it around $400 or so. Only looking at 20yds, tops, so iron sights are fine.

Thanks.

Not sure how far down you can turn the power down on your Crown. I have 3 settings on my Streamline. Low power is 11 fpe which is a 18 grain pellet traveling about 520 fps. All I hear is the hammer hitting the valve and the pellet hitting the target at that level. I have the SUMO mounted on mine. I'm guessing that if you could turn yours down that quiet that the pellet hitting the rabbit will be louder than the gun. 11 fpe at the muzzle and only 20 yards is plenty with a head shot. An illuminated reticle is a HUGE help hunting at night. I have taken a few rabbits here in my own yard and I would say the illumination is a must if in low light. Use a red light if you need to light up the rabbits. White lights seems to spook them. It's funny because I come home around midnight and I see them in my yard when I turn into the driveway and the headlights hit their eyes. They don't seem to be bothered by that light but when I tried lighting them up with a flashlight to shoot them they dash off. Ha ha! I think they know.

Yeah if you’re looking for an excuse to get a new toy, get another PCP and down tune it to something in the ballpark of 8fpe in .177 or 12fpe in .22. A lightweight hammer (MDS nylon or PEEK) is a nice addition to get valve dwell down to a minimum. With a decent pickle on the end, it will sound like dropping a pencil on the floor.

CO2 is very much an option as well. For example, I have a SPA CR600W (Diana Trailscout is very similar) that is running at 6fpe for 50 shots on a cartridge. I took one of the little garden raiders at 30 yards to the brain and it was instant lights out. Cottontails are very fragile creatures, which is unfortunate for them because they are so delicious.

The quietest full power rifle I have is a Taipan Veteran. It has an effective moderator, and I added Donny Sumo. Additionally, it is very adjustable for power with the spring adjuster. I've read of folks turning it down under 500 fps. I can't imagine anyone hearing anything, even on full power. Probably more than you want to spend for this purpose only, but maybe something to consider next time you are in the market for a general purpose rifle. Oh, and as for your dogs eating the rabbit poop, it won't hurt them, same with deer droppings, as both are vegetarians, strange but true.