Daystate Wolverine B - Solved

Mike,

There are 3 versions of the Wolverine B available:I owned a Wolverine B Hi-Lite and it was the most accurate .22 I have ever shot. It was also getting 34-35 ft/lbs and with JSB 18.1 gr pellet which is about as powerful as you want in a .22 PCP rifle. The Walnut stock on the Hi-Lite is much nicer than the stock on the standard Wolverine B. It's got stippling on the grip and fore-stock which makes it easier to grip and handle. It's also surprisingly light. I'm not sure if you were aware but there are currently 3 variations of Wolverine B available:
  • Wolverine B ($1995)
  • Wolverine B Hi-Lite ($2095)- carbon fiber 480cc bottle, Wolverine 303 stock
  • Wolverine B Super Grade SE ($2495*) - Same as Hi-Lite but has laminate stock, titanium finish breach block, leather sling, custom hard case
Had the Wolverine B Super Grade been available at the time, I would have gone with it since it has a gorgeous laminate stock, factory installed leather sling, and comes with a custom hard case for added protection and convenience. Lets see, what else.. All version come with a factory installed Huggett moderator. A single shot tray is not included with the Wolverines. The trigger is light and crisp. The Hi-Lite was deceptively light thanks to it's CF bottle it's a fairly long rifle at 50". Initially, I had to pay attention when walking with it to keep the barrel from getting bashed up but maybe that was just me. The profile of the rifle is narrower than the other DayStates I have owned which makes it a lot easier to pick up with one hand and maneuver it easily. Mind you, the stock on the Hi-Lite and Super Grade is much nicer than the standard Wolverine B stock as it has superb stippling which I found extremely functional and much prettier in comparison. Unfortunately, my particular Wolverine B Hi-Lite ended up getting returned due to cocking problems which made the rifle unusable. Mine was just a case of bad luck and I have never come across any other Wolverine B owners who had the cocking problems my rifle had.

That said, I think your father would be blown away by the Wolverine B Hi-Lite Super Grade SE. It's currently on Special at AOA for $2495 (normally $2599). I will also note that the Wolverine was the most solid DayState I have owned. Solid as in the fit and finish was the nicest I have seen on a DayState (I have owned three to date). Anyhow, let me know if you have any questions and I'll try to answer them.

Cheers,

Scott

Reactions: pheelgood
"pheelgood"My Dad's birthday is coming up and I'm looking at this gun as a gift(+Hugget). After all he got me my 1, 2nd and 3rd gun.
I've seen the AOA vid and a couple of others... Any personal feedback on this rifle?
Thanks,
Mike
Hi Mike.

I have been a proud owner of the Wolverine for a good few months now and have shot and hunted extensively with it. Great rifle, but I have had issues with o-rings blowing out and I do wish that the rifle could be de-cocked. 

Here are my initial thoughts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQDA4zUNuh0

PS I haven't owned an FX Royale, but I would definitely take it into consideration before making your final decision.

Matt

I own and shoot older versions of the FX 400 and the Daystate Airwolf (equipped with steel air bottles rather than the current fiber glass bottles).
In terms of accuracy both are superb. The major difference is the weight, The FX400 being more than a lb. lighter than the Airwolf. The other advantage of the FX400 is the very reproducible 3 stage power adjuster providing ca. 12, 20 & 32 fl lb of energy. I believe the Daystate Wolverine has only one power level.
You should also consider the FX. Bobcat Mk II which is a regulated semi bullpup version and will provide more shots with a uniform velocity. It also has the 3 stage power adjuster.

Based on the @Ted Post on the other Wolverine B thread I have some general apprehension around buying an unregulated gun. While not a huge concern there seems to be two different thoughts on this. Teds info was primarily on the FX 400. Matt's info is on the B. So this is my dilemma. Go with a hyper accurate daystate wolverine B or a similar FX rifle (500?).
Desisions decisions.

Other Criteria:
  • Wood Stock (Walnut or Laminate)
  • Must be attractive for an older shooter. (No bullpups.. he hate's 'em)
  • Light weight
  • Super accurate
  • Low maintenance
  • Complete out of the box (except glass and rings)
  • PCP

Purchase made (see vendor feedback for more info)
I went with the FX royale (regulated) for the following reasons:
  1. Regulated vs Un-regulated: There are differing thoughts on this, however I wanted my dad to have a very consistent shooting experience. He's getting older and I'm getting him his first PCP so he has greater range and doesn't have to chase down his quarry as much)
  2. Thanks to @Matt_Dubber for letting me know that you can de-cock the FX where the Daystate you can't. I don't like the thought of my 80 year old dad hiking around with a cocked rifle.
  3. Dependability - While they are both durable guns, I didn't want my dad to spend a lot of time maintaining the rifle. I leaned to FX for this, specifically how easy it is to tear down the rifle.
    [/LIST=1]
    While there were some other smaller issues that drove me to this decision I believe, with all of your feedback, that the correct decision was made.

Thank you for all your feedback, I really like this forum and how helpful everyone is.
    Happy Birthday Dad!!!

Mike

I think you made a good choice. Weight is a very important factor when carrying in the field. The Royale 400 was my first high end PCP, I sold it a few years back & always regretted it. So much so that I just bought a new/used one. It was dubbed the "wondergun" for a good reason. 

BTW - AoA now offers a 480cc carbon fiber bottle to replace the aluminum one. Increases shot count & decreases weight by almost a pound.

I had an FX T12 400 for about a week. I sent it back to AOA and got the FX Royale 500 .25 cal. No problems with the T12 I just liked the Royale 500 better.

Royale 500 .25 cal
1. Much quiter
2. Side power adjuster
3. Longer barrel
4. Different stock
5. Side cocking lever
6. Larger air supply
7. Side safety
8. Decock ability

Both rifle have a very good trigger. The list you see above are the things I really like on the Royale that the T12 does not have. I'm glad I got the Royale even though it was more money. The list is in no particular order just as I remembered what I liked about the Royale. I was very surprised how much quiter the Royale was over the T12, big difference. I have since added a Neil Clague LDC. Its so quite, it makes you think something is wrong with the rifle. It is the ultimate quite rifle. The side cocking lever is really smooth where the bolt action on the T12 is a hard pull back. The T12 does not have a safety as most rifles do. To place the T12 on safe, the bolt is pulled back and locked into position. To fire, raise the bolt and push forward. I didn't care for this at all. The stock on the Royale is larger and has more of a square bottom on it. Shooting it from my tripod or benchrest top is very easy and it rides the bags really good. I have the wood stock as well as the synthetic.