• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Daystate Wolverine B Hi-lite .25 review ***EDIT*** new photo with accuracy clue

Hi Zebra,

I think we solved the issue. If you refer to the pics higher up in the thread you can see where there are lead shavings on the pellet probe from where something is off and it is chewing up pellets that are being pushed into the barrel. I suspect this is the source of the inaccuracy. I've already spoken to AOA and they have seen this issue before and are familiar with how to fix it. I'm sure it's rare but yes, I'm one of the few unlucky ones that received a defective one out of the box. However, as a whole I'm sure Daystate makes a great gun and has fine quality control. AOA were great as always and I'm completely satisfied with the way they're handling it.

The only reason I thought the Wolverine is geared more toward hunting and not competition is the lack of a regulator. I didn't mean to offend anyone, I'm sure it could be used as a fine competition gun.

Regards,
Cliff

"Cliff_Allen"Hi Zebra,

I think we solved the issue. If you refer to the pics higher up in the thread you can see where there are lead shavings on the pellet probe from where something is off and it is chewing up pellets that are being pushed into the barrel. I suspect this is the source of the inaccuracy. I've already spoken to AOA and they have seen this issue before and are familiar with how to fix it. I'm sure it's rare but yes, I'm one of the few unlucky ones that received a defective one out of the box. However, as a whole I'm sure Daystate makes a great gun and has fine quality control. AOA were great as always and I'm completely satisfied with the way they're handling it.

The only reason I thought the Wolverine is geared more toward hunting and not competition is the lack of a regulator. I didn't mean to offend anyone, I'm sure it could be used as a fine competition gun.

Regards,
Cliff
I can't imagine anyone being offended by anything you said. You were very diplomatic. Much more than I would have been. I would have been ranting and raving about how dare they charge me that much and send a broken one blah blah blah. I have a short fuse for that kind of thing lately... It's great that they are prepared to put in some effort now but imo, it would have been better to put it in before that box left their warehouse. 

BTW, I believe that every type of user would benefit from a regulator. A hunter could manage without one by only ever using the first the ten shots but that is annoying. I like to be able to pick up my half full regulated guns and blow a few squirrels heads off without having to fill up all the time. Plus, even hunters like me like to practice at the range. Why else would you pay a premium for an air gun if not for precision?

You hit the nail on the head in your review. Daystate needs to stop being stubborn and add a reg already. It has become a minimum standard for an accurate PCP rifle in the mid to high price range. For what they charge, they should have two (at least). Perhaps they think that their guns are so well made that a reg is unnecessary but that clearly isn't the case. 

Great thread. I learn so much from a thread like this. Until I own three or four airguns I have confidence in I think I'll hold off buying ANY new gun. I'd much rather buy a tried and true and even tuned last year's model from one of the great folks on this site. As I have done in obtaining my Wildcat. Feel guilty about it actually. Pretty much begged a member here to sell me his Wildcat and he took pity on a raw noob dying to join the dark side. %^)

I have been having more fun than I've had in years curing a bad squirrel problem spread over 4 houses and about 10 acres. Every day the dog and I sneak around corners and hide in corners ready to deal out instant death to these flower bed destroying, attic invading bastages.

"zebra"
"Cliff_Allen"Hi Zebra,

Regards,
Cliff
I can't imagine anyone being offended by anything you said. You were very diplomatic. Much more than I would have been. I would have been ranting and raving about how dare they charge me that much and send a broken one blah blah blah. I have a short fuse for that kind of thing lately... It's great that they are prepared to put in some effort now but imo, it would have been better to put it in before that box left their warehouse. 

BTW, I believe that every type of user would benefit from a regulator. A hunter could manage without one by only ever using the first the ten shots but that is annoying. I like to be able to pick up my half full regulated guns and blow a few squirrels heads off without having to fill up all the time. Plus, even hunters like me like to practice at the range. Why else would you pay a premium for an air gun if not for precision?

You hit the nail on the head in your review. Daystate needs to stop being stubborn and add a reg already. It has become a minimum standard for an accurate PCP rifle in the mid to high price range. For what they charge, they should have two (at least). Perhaps they think that their guns are so well made that a reg is unnecessary but that clearly isn't the case. 
I was told as much by AOA when enquiring concerning a Wolverine B.

"Simshaz"How did this thread turn out, did you resolve the accuracy issues.
i had a .22 Huntsman that threw fliers all the time, ended up back at Daystate for a new Barrel, it was under warranty and I am in the UK so easier for me ... Feel your pain I really do

Hey Sim, It all worked out in the end. I asked AOA for a store credit and they obliged no problem. (Haven't decided what I'm going to use it on ;-) ) Putting aside having two defective Wolverine's in a row out of the box, I honestly didn't feel like the value was there. I'm not sure how to put it but for the cost of the gun, the lack of features on the gun, no regulator, sling studs, adjustable butt pad, etc was a real turn off.

The thing is, I knew it didn't have those things going in, but I figured Daystate's reputation for making "heirloom" quality guns would justify the extra cost without having the features. In the end, I didn't see that level of quality in relation to the other high end PCP's I've owned for less money. That combined with what felt like a kind of stripped down gun hit me harder when I had it in my hands and got to experience it in person. I quite literally felt like the BSA R-10 that I paid half the money for, that includes all the features that I mentioned, was on par or at least very close with Daystate for overall quality. 

Then there's the things that I didn't know going into it that were a disappointment. The gun despite having the huggett system, was the loudest of any PCP I've owned which was a real surprise considering the reputation of Huggett. Granted, I had the .25, but it was still a fair amount louder than the .25 Royale I have. I shoot from inside so granted, the sound is amplified a bit, but it was still the only PCP I've had where I actually considered wearing hearing protection if I was going to continue to shoot inside. Outside I'm sure it would be fine and it wouldn't be an issue to the shooter, but I would be more concerned about the neighbors while shooting the Wolverine over the other guns I have.

The magazine seemed really robust and well made, but it seemed over engineered to me. Also, maybe it's because I'm 6' 4" and have fat fingers, it wasn't convenient having to push some of the pellets into their holes to get the magazine to rotate to the next available hole. The slot in the magazine where you load the pellets is kind of "sunk" into the top layer of the magazine. Someone with smaller fingers might have an easier time, but I'm still not a fan of the fact that some pellets need to be pushed in at all, fat fingers or not. 

Anyway, that's my experience and how it all ended up. I never did find out what the issue was that was causing the gun to produce lead shavings from the pellets being pushed into the barrel.

I really hope I didn't ruffle the feathers of other Daystate owners, that wasn't my intent. I'm just being honest with the experience I had. Thank you AOA for being awesome and going the extra mile!!! 

Imagine that Cliff you sent your Daystate Wolverine B Hi-lite back to AOA and all of a sudden there's a Like New condition Daystate Wolverine B Hi-Lite on their used gun section and I'm almost positive it's the one you sent back but I know one dam thing and that's I sincerely hope they fixed the issue it was having before trying to re-sell it as used listed in " Like New" condition. I would love to own that gun or a Daystate Air Ranger but I would certainly order an Altaros regulator to the bottle for absolute consistency. You can get the Altaros regulator for the Daystate bottle guns for $130.00.

Hey Simshaz, I think right now it's a toss up between the Vulcan Tactic or waiting for the FX Streamline. I'm sort of going back and forth between the two because I already have a FX Royale and the Vulcan might be something different to try, but I love the smooth twist barrels, etc. etc., I go back and forth quite a bit lol

I'm curious, what was your impression of the Wolverine in regards to other guns you've handled? I felt like it was nice and shouldered well and all, and was a well made piece, but after shooting and handling it I felt a bit underwhelmed. I think maybe I just had too high expectations from online reviews that were gushing about the next level craftsmanship. Maybe I was doomed from the beginning haha. Anyway, curious to hear your opinion after handling it in person.

TKA87Imagine that Cliff you sent your Daystate Wolverine B Hi-lite back to AOA and all of a sudden there's a Like New condition Daystate Wolverine B Hi-Lite on their used gun section and I'm almost positive it's the one you sent back but I know one dam thing and that's I sincerely hope they fixed the issue it was having before trying to re-sell it as used listed in " Like New" condition. I would love to own that gun or a Daystate Air Ranger but I would certainly order an Altaros regulator to the bottle for absolute consistency. You can get the Altaros regulator for the Daystate bottle guns for $130.00.

Haha yeah I saw that. I'm not one to jump to conclusions but it's a funny coincidence. I'm sure they fixed it no problem, I left a message in the box detailing exactly what was wrong with it even after describing the issue over the phone. I've seen AOA's repair work. They do a nice job.

I purchased my .22 Daystate AirWolf MCT about 4 years ago. Granted I went for this gun because it had all the bells and whistles. It has been flawless from day one. The only thing I added was a Neil Clague LCD which essentially makes it completely silent (thanks Neil). The electric trigger has about a one ounce pull (if that) which was the hardest thing to get used to. Accuracy is also 2nd to none and I own a .22 Cricket and Wildcat for comparison. The $ Price $ was scary, but has long since been paid off and I have no regrets what so ever.

Cliff_Allen, I'm sorry your experience wasn't similar to mine because I truly believe Daystate is a top level manufacturer. But your story speaks for itself in the fact that Daystate needs to possibly look at their QC and improve their consistency. As far as it being noisy with the Hugget that is disappointing too. I've read many posts where people say the .25 is louder than the .22 which makes sense and it the #1 reason why I stay with .22. I have about 1.5 acres of buffer zone but don't need concerned neighbors. Hope you find something that you really enjoy but I suspect you are done with Daystate and I don't blame you.

Hi Scott, thank you. Your sentiment is exactly what made me apprehensive to write the review. My experience is a small sample size compared to the many that have a good experience with Daystate. 

After everything I did some research and found out that Daystate was bought by another company a few years ago some suspect that their manufacturing processes have changed a bit. Clearly I have no way of knowing if that is for the better or worse and I don't know if it has anything to do with the QC issues I had but I found it interesting and noteworthy. Some speculate that it's the root of recent issues, but again, not anything that I'm knowledgeable enough to comment on. 

I wouldn't say I'm totally done with Daystate, I just need a cooling off period I think haha. I had a really bad experience with a cricket rifle in .25 once and some time later tried another one that I got a good deal on used in .22 and I love that gun. Maybe one day I'll try Daystate again but it will likely be on something that I can get a really good deal on. Thanks again for sharing your experience. I'd love to see some pics of groups you've shot with yours and see the performance you're getting out of it. 

Regards,
Cliff

Hey Kyler, I didn't fix it. After getting two in a row that were defective out of the box, and just being disenchanted by the Wolverine platform after handling it, I decided it wasn't for me and sent it back to AOA for a store credit. I read your thread you started and someone suggested trying a different scope. I never tried a different scope on mine but after finding the issue of pellets being "shaved" as they were being pushed into the barrel, I'm fairly certain it wasn't the scope. I know the proposition of needing to send a new toy back sucks, especially such an expensive one, but If it is a new gun, and you otherwise like what it has to offer I would send it back to the retailer. If it is AOA, they are great and will sort out whatever the issue is in no time. Good luck getting it sorted and please keep us updated so we can find out what the problem was. 

Regards,
Cliff