Daystate Wolverine .25

This may be too small for folks to read. I also have a new Daystate Wolverine B Hi-Lite in .25.

I filled it to about 225 Bar and with my ProChrony got the following 39 shots. 
#1. 848,856,853,850,851,844,852,846,843,840,836,840, 839,835,836,828,829,826,823,820,282,814, 813,806,809,805,802, #32. 800, 793,794,788, 783,778, 775, 772.
The pellet was Barracuda 31 grain. 
I don't know much about this stuff (1st PCP 3 years ago). 

Does this look ok? I don't suppose the Wolverine B Hi-Lite is regulated. I don't know if it can be. If so what would happen?

Thanks
Roy

Bowwild,
I'm curios too as what the max fill pressure is . If its capable of going to at least 250bar I'd go there. Filling to 225 looks to be somewhere in the middle of the sweet portion of the curve. You probably need to stay within 4% ES for most shooting situations. 1-2% for more consistent long range shooting. From your first shot at 848 to the 24th shot at 820 that is a 4% ES. I wouldn't shoot it any further than what ever pressure that was on your gun at that 24th shot. The next string you shoot document the best you can what the guns pressure is every five shots. The more data the better. Ok, so that's only 24 shots. If you fill to a higher pressure, hopefully your starting velocity (shot 1) might be closer to the 820 range due to the higher fill pressure and the hammer not being able to knock the valve open as far until some of that air pressure is depleted. What I would shoot for would be a string that goes from 820-850-820 with that particular pellet.
JK
Just after I posted I saw where the max fill is 230.

Roy mate, is the .25 Wolverine as US purchased rifle, eh? The reason I ask is because FAC guns sold here in Europe (some guns) shoot slower then the ones build for US market. I am basing my opinion here based on shot strings I've seen posted on EU forums on some unregulated guns.

Based on your shot string mate, you are getting about 50fpe. Which I think is what they rate these .25 FAC Wolverines at. But Nutckacker's velocity looks a bit better. So mate.... if you are up for it, there is a way to bump up the power on them slightly. All you have to do is take off the gun stock, underneath the mono-block receiver, in front of the trigger guard there is a cutout in the action, that gives you access to the hammer/striker. It's travel on Daystate guns can be adjusted. If you see the little pin screw that strikes the valve open sticking out from the hammer, it needs to be screwed in all the way, so it is flush with the hammer surface that will strike the valve open. That is how you increase hammer stoke travel. Greater hammer force = deeper valve opening = more air going into the transfer port = faster velocity. In order to adjust that pin, there is a little grub screw holding securely that pin in. That grub screw must be loosened gently, so you can screw in that hammer pin all the way in.

If that is hard for you to do inside the gun. You can loosen and take off the end cap on the back of the receiver, take the hammer spring out depress the trigger, and pull out the hammer, and do what I wrote above to adjust the hammer pin. Then reassemble all in reverse, press the trigger, put the hammer in, put the hammer spring back in, put the end cap back, cock the gun make sure it is working, and fire few rounds over the chronograph. If the velocity got better, give yourself an A+.

I think on the Wolverines sold now these adjustments can be made without partial disassembly of the receiver. I am not sure, but do ask on the daystate UK forum. In general speaking the Wolverine is an Air Ranger assembled on a one piece mono-block. Which makes it a better air rifle. And If you want to be fancy and like to tinker more mate, you can play around with different hammer springs wire thicknesses for example, local hardware stores should have these type of springs for cheap. The same thing you can do with the valve springs, if you want to go deep into it. If you are interested I can describe the process mate. On some guns valve springs are too weak and with heavy hammers like on the Gunpower Stealth and Air Ranger for that matter, it causes poor shot to shot consistency, guns waste air and have poor shot curves. In this department unregulated daystates could have been better tuned out from the factory. FX air rifles are better in this department. But build quality wise Daystates are the best. Wolverine for sure would benefit from the regulator, BUT if you know what you are doing, balancing out an unregulated air rifle hammer stroke length, hammer spring and valve spring can get you results very close to a regulated gun. And some regulated air rifles mate, a crappy out of the box also. So it is not that simple, then just heaving a regulator in the air rifle as some dealers will tell you.

p.s. Zx mate, I would rather take a great quality build like a tank air rifle like the Wolverine, and tune it up, rather then a cheap made gun that was well tuned.

Nutcracker, these are some good numbers you are posting mate, 883 891 885 893 894 897 901 903 904 911
907 907 908 908 909 907 903 905 903 900 905 899 896 896 892 893 887 889 885 880 883 Perhaps they did something new with the hammer design in their latest builds. I have not visited the Daystate forum in ages to see if they have done any upgrades, which they do all the time I am told. I know they have changed the hammer style on the Huntsman Regal to lighten it, perhaps these Wolverines have that new design. But your air rifle looks stunning mate! A real looker :)

"Ridgeline"Nutcracker, these are some good numbers you are posting mate, 883 891 885 893 894 897 901 903 904 911
907 907 908 908 909 907 903 905 903 900 905 899 896 896 892 893 887 889 885 880 883 Perhaps they did something new with the hammer design in their latest builds. I have not visited the Daystate forum in ages to see if they have done any upgrades, which they do all the time I am told. I know they have changed the hammer style on the Huntsman Regal to lighten it, perhaps these Wolverines have that new design. But your air rifle looks stunning mate! A real looker :)

Thanks. I hope to get to shoot it some over the weekend. I am hoping I can get nickel size groups @ 50 yards. So far I really like it, but need to spend some time with it.

When you was talking about adjusting power , was you describing the procedure in this video. Sometimes I don't fully comprehend what I read. I might like a lil more power myself, but will leave it alone for a few months to see how accurate it will be as is.

Bowwild, keep us posted on your rifle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u1cp8tTZPk

Yes, that is how it can be done on Daystates to adjust the hammer stroke. On the Wolverine there is a larger cutout in the action so the hammer is more visible and it is easier to operate that little grub screw. I prefer to take out the hammer mate, because I was never able to turn that screw in with allen key from the end cap side of the gun like they suggest and show in the videos.

Of course the best way to increase power is to widen the transfer port = the inner diameter of the barrel bore. But that does take skill and special tools to work on the Wolverine outside factory settings. If say one would make a 6.25mm in diameter transfer port in the receiver and the barrel, you can bump this air rifle to perhaps 100fpe easily in .25 cal. Which would make it a very interesting air rifle. That mono-block receiver can handle massive amount of energy. They could do it over at Daystate easy if they really wanted to. In some countries however that kind of power in .25 caliber can make this gun illegal, so I guess they just leave it at 50fpe to sell at broader markets. Your American market could request for such guns to be build for export. These Wolverines are capable of a lot more power than they put them out at currently (IMHO) If they want to run them at 50-60fpe then best to put regulators in these to get the best shot to shot consistency. If they want to build true powerhouse hunting rigs then transfer ports is the ticket, something what the Koreans do on their cheap made Sam Yang rifles.

Reactions: JMKuk
Thanks a lot for this information! The pressure gauge on the rifle doesn't have fine graduations - 200-250 is the "Green" area and I try to fill it to the mid point which I estimate is 225. It is a bit tricky because when the bleed valve is opened to take off the hose the gauge needle moves a bit lower. 

This is a new rifle I bought from Airguns of Arizona a couple of weeks ago. I haven't shot a 25 grain pellet string out of it yet. I'm going to do that as well. I might try that hammer spring tension idea after a while. I'm not much of a tinkerer and for my squirrel hunting purposes I'm ok with finding the 20-30 shot spot in the power curve.