• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Daystate Tsar

Motorhead- Had the RAW. Great gun!! But would never own another. The current customer service leaves a lot to be desired. When Martin was around, second to none!!

Motorhead can take care of any issues you may have had with your RAW. He knows the rifles inside and out. I agree with him, a well tuned RAW can shoot with any FT rifle out there. Unfortunately most of us feared the current situation with the RAW's new owners, a sad state of affairs for what was a great air rifle.

Jim in Sacramento

Thanks for all the input!

Can anyone give me some pro's and con's on the Tsar? Thinking about purchasing one for FT since I can't wait for a Thomas. And very few come along for sale.
I'm late to this discussion but here is my input on the Daystate Tsar (aka Ataman M2S) for anyone researching.

Unfortunately, the Tsar wasn't the "out of the box" ultimate field target rifle Daystate intended it to be.......but it almost was.

Remove the barrel band, replace the hamster system, find some 75D Viton orings for the bolt probe and you're on your way. Install a Huma regulator, service the action, tune it in, and you're there!

You have a high quality, well built, ergonomically fully adjustable, mid-size field target rifle. The barrels are match grade and accurate, the trigger is highly adjustable, smooth and very precise. With some tuning, the power plant is capable of excellent consistency.

Is it the ultimate in field target equipment? Um, I dont know...probably not, but I'd say the Tsar is capable of being a championship gun in the right hands and an expert tune.

I'm not a field target champion but I like my Tsar a lot. Enough so, that I doubled down and picked up an Ataman M2S recently.

Lonnie

I'm late to this discussion but here is my input on the Daystate Tsar (aka Ataman M2S) for anyone researching.

Unfortunately, the Tsar wasn't the "out of the box" ultimate field target rifle Daystate intended it to be.......but it almost was.

Remove the barrel band, replace the hamster system, find some 75D Viton orings for the bolt probe and you're on your way. Install a Huma regulator, service the action, tune it in, and you're there!

You have a high quality, well built, ergonomically fully adjustable, mid-size field target rifle. The barrels are match grade and accurate, the trigger is highly adjustable, smooth and very precise. With some tuning, the power plant is capable of excellent consistency.

Is it the ultimate in field target equipment? Um, I dont know...probably not, but I'd say the Tsar is capable of being a championship gun in the right hands and an expert tune.

I'm not a field target champion but I like my Tsar a lot. Enough so, that I doubled down and picked up an Ataman M2S recently.

Lonnie
I’m looking forward to getting my Tsar “in the groove”.

I just got into this air gunning thing in 2021. I ended up buying a TSAR used on the classifieds here. Having no idea what I was really getting into.
It came with paperwork that it was tuned by Airguns of Arizona and had a target with 10 shot groups, distance and pellets used. I just picked one of those pellets and purchased a scope, zeroed it in at 30 yards and have been shooting it as is. I have had zero issues with the gun. It is capable of way more than I am. I actually feel like it is too heavy for me and thinking of ditching the hamster, as I shoot HFT anyways.
I am also looking around at some other options. You know, that rabbit hole thing!!!!!

I have a Tsar and loved it until I bought a used Thomas. Don't get me wrong the Tsar shot good, but it is a 12 FPE gun, I tuned it by changing the hammer spring and opened the front barrel band so that it didn't touch the barrel and installed a huma regulator. It is shooting at 900 FPS and likes the Hatsan 10.65 pellets or the FX 10.3. Don't let the nay sayers sway you. Find someone with one of those guns and see if he will let you shoot it. Then decide for yourself. The hamster it came with sucks, it won't stay where put. It would shift when I was about to shoot. I was able to tighten it, but I eventually changed it.
PS I still shoot the TSAR and it is my backup gun.

Last edited:
I have a Tsar and loved it until I bought a used Thomas. Don't get me wrong the Tsar shot good, but it is a 12 FPE gun, I tuned it by changing the hammer spring and opened the front barrel band so that it didn't touch the barrel and installed a huma regulator. It is shooting at 900 FPS and likes the Hatsan 10.65 pellets or the FX 10.3. Don't let the nay sayers sway you. Find someone with one of those guns and see if he will let you shoot it. Then decide for yourself. The hamster it came with sucks, it won't stay where put. It would shift when I was about to shoot. I was able to tighten it, but I eventually changed it.
PS I still shoot the TSAR and it is my backup gun.
I just got my Tsar back from AOA and they installed a huma reg and plenum and upgraded seals. It is now tuned for jsb’s 13.4 at 808 fps shooting straight and flat from 25 yard zero to 42 yards. Very happy so far but I also haven’t fully set it up or created a dope chart for it. It is a way better shooter now than compared to <12FPE platform

Last edited:
I just got into this air gunning thing in 2021. I ended up buying a TSAR used on the classifieds here. Having no idea what I was really getting into.
It came with paperwork that it was tuned by Airguns of Arizona and had a target with 10 shot groups, distance and pellets used. I just picked one of those pellets and purchased a scope, zeroed it in at 30 yards and have been shooting it as is. I have had zero issues with the gun. It is capable of way more than I am. I actually feel like it is too heavy for me and thinking of ditching the hamster, as I shoot HFT anyways.
I am also looking around at some other options. You know, that rabbit hole thing!!!!!
Welcome to the world of Tsar 😆

I am also looking around at some other options. You know, that rabbit hole
The barrel band and the hamster set up on the Tsars
The barrel band on those Tsars can cause poi shifts and poor accuracy. Much better after I removed it. If you're shooting HFT, definitely don't need the hamster setup.

7385004D-7F91-43AD-846A-2A1FD945E428.jpeg

Today I removed the OEM air stripper - why it was threaded is beyond me - I added a Rowan 16 mm barrel adapter and a Weihrauch moderator which really made it backyard friendly - when I went from <12 fpe to <20 fpe it started barking.
Won’t know how it shoots until later on this week.
410796DA-5D99-4567-81C8-D34B7448DAC5.jpeg

Reactions: tnbndr
Today I removed the OEM air stripper - why it was threaded is beyond me - I added a Rowan 16 mm barrel adapter and a Weihrauch moderator which really made it backyard friendly - when I went from <12 fpe to <20 fpe it started barking.
Won’t know how it shoots until later on this week.
View attachment 335777
Mine is dead quiet as received. My pellets hitting down range are louder than the pellet leaving the barrel.

Update on the Tsar - it’s zeroed at 30 yards because the jsb 13.43 were rising out to 32 yards. Still getting lots of shots and I pulled 20 shots to create a 1” / quarter size group at 55 yards from bench to only variables were from left to right wind drift but fairly negligible effects on my group. I still need to remove or modify barrel band. But it looks like my Tsar will be a solid contender esp in windy conditions. Now I have to find the right scope!

Update on the Tsar - it’s zeroed at 30 yards because the jsb 13.43 were rising out to 32 yards. Still getting lots of shots and I pulled 20 shots to create a 1” / quarter size group at 55 yards from bench to only variables were from left to right wind drift but fairly negligible effects on my group. I still need to remove or modify barrel band. But it looks like my Tsar will be a solid contender esp in windy conditions. Now I have to find the right scope!
Cavedweller, I'm not saying that 1" group at 55 yards is not competitive, but the top shooters in WFTF (or Hunter) can do .25" or less at 55 yards from their seated position with no wind. Your window of error at 55 yards is 1 1/2" KZ - 1" group = 1/2". My window of error at 55 yards is 1 1/2" KZ - .25" group = 1 1/4" or 3/4" more allowed error than your current setup.

Reactions: Centercut
Cavedweller, I'm not saying that 1" group at 55 yards is not competitive, but the top shooters in WFTF (or Hunter) can do .25" or less at 55 yards from their seated position with no wind. Your window of error at 55 yards is 1 1/2" KZ - 1" group = 1/2". My window of error at 55 yards is 1 1/2" KZ - .25" group = 1 1/4" or 3/4" more allowed error than your current setup.
my horizontal line was spot on... only variation was from the left to right wind which i was NOT trying to adjust for. Pellets were not weighed or sorted either.. i don't have any world class WFTF ambitions, just a solid shoot with me being the primary variable. I think the Tsar put in a great show following AOA's bump to <20ftlbs using the 13.43's. It will be interesting to see how it settles in over the next few weeks esp when i put my sightron FT scope on it, instead of an Element Nexus. 3/14/23 update... had some time and slapped the SVIII SSED 5-40x56 FFP sightron on the Tsar... she zeroed quickly and pellets started flying flat from 22 yards out to 42 yards.... no real appreciable drop until the pellets hit 45 yards then they began their verticle drop 1.75 " to 2" total drop. Shooting the JSB 13.43 redesigned at 719 fps to 815 fps and the barrel is good... no unexpected corkscrewing or flyers, only wind drift which was minimal considering the day... trigger is a tad touchy for my fat finger. Very please with AOA's work on this gun. I enjoyed verifying my dope chart and scopes capability using Strelock Pro - spot on.

Last edited: