• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning Daystate Tsar .177- 12 ft/lb

Value is certainly in the eye of the beholder.

The Benjamin Marauder field and target is a pretty good starting point. They benefit quite a bit from tuning and aftermarket parts. I got my Gen 1 shooting quite well with a Tim Hill hammer, Staley bumper and a drop in regulator.

Cost wise,the Tsar is mid range for a high quality field target rifle. Their downside is the barrels are not ideal for high velocity accuracy. 

Which would you recommend?

I'm sure it can be done. But, it seems like an expensive way to get a 20 fpe rifle when there are many good ones available.
Hard to explain but for me it’s the way the Tsar balances at the shoulder, it just feels right! I’m sending my Tsar off to AOA for a few tweaks including huma parts, I’m hoping once it’s in their hands I can talk them into work on the transfer port and poppet. I just want to throw 10.43’s <20FPE or 13.4’s at a stable speed.

Sounds like you have been there and done that! What would you recommend for a barrel solution?
I would tune it for 19.5fpe, test the barrel on it first with those two pellets you mentioned. It's quite possible would be accurate. Sometimes they just need some lapping. If it just doesnt cut it, then I would consider a polygon or even another LW

Reactions: cavedweller
Hard to explain but for me it’s the way the Tsar balances at the shoulder, it just feels right! I’m sending my Tsar off to AOA for a few tweaks including huma parts, I’m hoping once it’s in their hands I can talk them into work on the transfer port and poppet. I just want to throw 10.43’s <20FPE or 13.4’s at a stable speed.
Yep, I love the ergonomic adjustability of the Tsar. Excellent trigger to.

Maybe @Motorhead has experience with Tsar, never seen a Tsar without a 12fpe tune but they are rare to begin with.
I don't .. only known 2 persons with Tsar's over these past 5 yrs or so. And come to think of it may have been the same rifle under 2 owners ?
John B & Lonnie S here in Nor Cal. 1st had AOA support as a sponsored shooter, 2nd does his own tinkering.

Requires an adjustable regulator (like the Huma) removing Tranfer port restrictor and/or a different poppet valve or modification of the existing poppet.
My guns back from AOA and I’m very pleased with my Tsar, shooting JSBs 13.4’s at 808 fps. Shooting flat and straight from 25 yard zero out to 42 yards approx…. Time to create a dope chart ! And begin the real tests to see how she groups. They installed my huma reg and huma plenum and apparently did some other magic.

I would tune it for 19.5fpe, test the barrel on it first with those two pellets you mentioned. It's quite possible would be accurate. Sometimes they just need some lapping. If it just doesnt cut it, then I would consider a polygon or even another LW
Do you happen to know the twist rate for the Tsar barrel?