DAYSTATE REPORT

Other_mark_b

Got home from FT match and ran a RW 22hp string with 25.39 RD, 68 shots from 250 fill to 178. Mv is average at 920fps. I may bump it up a little to get towards that 930-940 area...Thanks for the tutorial on the programmer. 

Dave

You are welcome. I just used the Appendix I cheat sheet of the latest draft to reduce velocity. I did that to prove to myself that I can now take the gun and programmer to the range and reprogram on the fly; rather then having to watch, pause, watch, pause, watch, pause etc. YouTube videos as I reprogrammed my rifle.

BTW: I'm now targeting 950 FPS (down from 970 FPS) as I only got about 45/50 shots today on a fill. Basically, the gun was averaging 2 BAR of air for every shot and that seems like maybe I'm wasting air.

Best wishes.

The other Mark B

I had mine set up to the 970's for a while and I think you are right. I bet it is wasting a ton of air. I also found that I had nothing like a regulated bell curve but rather a descending line. The first shots where hot and then slower and slower for 38 shots. Once I tuned it to where it is now, I have a very nice flat line.

If you are tuning and not shooting a string over the chrono, you can get this same descending line. And it was a not a good tune for my gun. It is far more accurate now that I have it tuned down just a bit. Mine shoots around 950 with a very small ES of like 12 or so. 

Crusher

I had mine set up to the 970's for a while and I think you are right. I bet it is wasting a ton of air. I also found that I had nothing like a regulated bell curve but rather a descending line. The first shots where hot and then slower and slower for 38 shots. Once I tuned it to where it is now, I have a very nice flat line.

If you are tuning and not shooting a string over the chrono, you can get this same descending line. And it was a not a good tune for my gun. It is far more accurate now that I have it tuned down just a bit. Mine shoots around 950 with a very small ES of like 12 or so.

Crusher

I reduced velocity today to 950 FPS from 970 FPS. I had it down to 940 FPS in fact before speeding things up just a bit. Interestingly enough, the RW is still using 2 BAR of air per shot regardless of velocity. 

I also noticed today that there is air blowing past the viton breech seal which - according to a really knowledgeable RW operator - is caused by the seal being "to hard". So I'm going to pull out the viton seal tomorrow, replace it with factory spec buna, and see if the new seal impacts air use per shot. 

Note I made a mistake entering data into my gun today which caused a change to the HS and LS spread. Specifically, I caused a big increase in the LS value. 

A change to HS and LS values is a really big no no according to the online videos. Fortunately, this was not a problem as I had recorded the original factory settings. I simply entered factory set High, Mid and Low pulse lengths and HS/LS settings returned to normal. 

Today's recovery from a mistake is the second time factory data that I had saved has fixed a problem.

Last, I released version 1.2 of the Red Wolf PowerSet Programming guide today after finding a major mistake within it while reprogramming my gun at the range.. The latest draft has its own post under the PCP heading.

Best wishes.

Mark B.

RE: RW HP .22 Air Use

My rifle is using about 2 BAR of air for every shot fired. Air use is unchanged for velocities from 940 through 970. Moreover, I'm getting the same issue whether using a buna or a viton breech seal.

Is 2 BAR normal?

Thanks.

The other Mark B.

Mark... this is how my RW .22HP is running:

25.39 gr Monster flies (on HIGH) at an average of 931 fps.

My rifle is using about 2 BAR of air for every shot fired. Air use is unchanged for velocities from 940 through 970. Moreover, I'm getting the same issue whether using a buna or a viton breech seal.

Is 2 BAR normal?

Thanks.

The other Mark B.

How did you measure air use to come up with 1.18, .81 and .59? I assume you did something like 250 Bar minus 180 Bar divided by number of shots, but assumptions always get me in trouble. 😉

Looks like I'll spend more time at the range tomorrow getting ready for Saturdays' silhouette match so I can try out whatever you suggest.

Thanks

The other Mark B.

Just as you suggested. I record BAR before I begin shooting, I count my shots, and I record BAR when I finish shooting. Then I determine BAR used and divide number of shots by amount of BAR used (for shots per bar) - or divide the BAR used by the number of shots (for bar per shot). I've been keeping a log every time I shoot my air rifles so I know all the stats from every session (# of pellets, # of BAR, what power levels, what pellets, what range, what scope settings, and environmental conditions).

Is 2 BAR normal?

Thanks.

The other Mark B.

How did you measure air use to come up with 1.18, .81 and .59? I assume you did something like 250 Bar minus 180 Bar divided by number of shots, but assumptions always get me in trouble.
1f609.svg

Looks like I'll spend more time at the range tomorrow getting ready for Saturdays' silhouette match so I can try out whatever you suggest.

Thanks

The other Mark B.

Spent all morning at the range testing "stuff" associated with my .22 RW HP.

High power is averaging 950 FPS with JSB Jumbo Monster 25.39 grain pellets .

Let loose 50 shots from a 246 BAR fill down to 179 BAR (67 BAR difference) which resulted in 1.34 BAR of air use per pellet.

Used a Buna breech seal after having removed the Viton seal last night..

I have not tested medium or low power settings as current use is strictly high power.

A large part of today's testing included a custom fabricated adjustable barrel tuner. Equivocal evidence so far as to any benefits. A change in methodology is now called for.

I'll increase velocity to 970 FPS plus for range work this upcoming Friday. I should be able to get at least 40 shots between 250 BAR and 180 BAR if past use holds true. I'll also shoot two 70 BAR shot strings, one with a Buna breech seal and one with Viton. I don't believe there will be any difference, but knowing is better than guessing.

Best wishes.

The other Mark B.

\

T.O.M.B, 

Question, are you adjusting any of your pressure points ? High, mid, low ? Or just pulse...

Thanks for all the info so far. Im looking to do more testing/adjusting tomorrow.

Dave

Dave,

I'm just doing pulse length. The primary reason is that I'm still trying to find the magic pellet velocity available with pulse length adjustments only right now. Of course the other reason is that I don't know what will happen if pressure points are adjusted. Basically, I don't want to guess what they mean in relation to gun performance and I have yet to develop the gonad fortitude needed to experiment.

I spoke with a guy at the range who has been programming his gun for a couple of months now and he says he has not adjusted anything but pulse length.

Please share your results if you experiment with pressure points so I can add something about it to the programming guide. Note I'm not recommending that you experiment but I'm willing to write something up if you do.

Best wishes

The other Mark B.

Haha, thanks Mark, Ill let you know how it goes. My thoughts are adusting pressure points will lower the ES and flatten any bell curve. I may be wrong, but I can always go back. 

Dave

Speaking of bell curve, I thought I saw a change in POI (groups got tighter) as air pressure diminished as I was shooting yesterday. I'm going to graph 250 BAR to 180 BAR so I know for sure.

I assumed a RW performance curve would be relatively flat until the GCU failed because of inadequate pressure. Time to test and confirm or refute for my own information.

BTW: I sort of lied to you earlier. Although I never personally adjusted pressure points, AoA did when I took the gun to them after my first programming disaster (er, ah ahem) I mean experience. It was done to get the rifle back to factory settings (that I had written down before doing any re-programming).

Best wishes

The other Mark B

RE: .22 RW HP Chronograph Results with JSB Monsters and a blown breech seal; all in a day

In brief, 50 shots between 49.92 ft/lbs and 50.74 ft/lbs. Also, the 50 shots in five 10 shot strings averaged 941 FPS, 949 FPS, 949 FPS, 947 FPS and 945 FPS respectively. Last, best FPS (average) and ft/lbs over 50 occurred between 242 BAR and 191 BAR.

Details shown below. Your mileage may vary.

1540626451_1520574845bd418131e5f76.01991397_otherMarkB20Oct81.jpg

FYI - Bbuna oring breech seal blew out shortly after recording above data. I changed out the oring with another buna. Pellets subsequently fed roughly with more than normal resistance into chamber, groups started looking like bird shot, and a five shot string averaged 931 FPS with over 220 BAR in the gun.

It couldn't be the breech seal, could it?

Yes it was. REplaced oring with another buna once I got home. Pellets started feeding smoothly again with less effort and velocity started averaging 950ish again.

Note I replaced the viton breech seal with buna a few days back because I was told that groups opened up with viton. I have not yet checked this out with my gun yet, but will.

Best wishes

The other Mark B.

Has anyone out there tuned their Pulsar HP .25 for optimum SD shooting the JSB 25.39s? If so, what is the optimum fps (and what is your SD)?

I must say, I'm a little disappointed in the SD I'm getting with my Pulsar HP .25 (6.16). I was getting a very low SD with my standard Pulsar .25 (2.12). I'm wondering if the fact that I ran the shot strings with different type pellets made a difference

download.png
View attachment 1540764104_8262225115bd631c8583943.39177082_Shot string_Pulsar HP .25_JSB 25.39 gr_ No Mod.xlsx

download.png
View attachment 1540763612_9303759805bd62fdc8a2731.22381284_Shot string_Pulsar .25.xlsx