Tuning daystate Redwolf magazine stuck !!

hi everybody

i just dusted off my .25 Redwolf and fired a full magazine and now the mag( new style) wont slide off the rifle, i have taken the barrel off thinking there might be a pellet stuck but there was nothing, also tried working the bolt back and forth whilst wiggling the magazine but that wont work.

from what i can see when i hold the rifle up to the light, i can see that the actuator pin has stayed up, short of me sending the Redwolf back to Daystate has anyone got any ideas on how to get the bastard thing off????

I suspect your index pin has broken. This has happen to me twice (.177 Normal Power Redwolf) and yes, when it happened, both times my magazine got stuck in the breech. What did I do to solve things? I cant give you an exact answer as I was in a panic and did many things and suddenly I could remove the magazine. Some of what I did was the following. Basically want to move the broken index pin under the magazine such that you can pull it out:

• Dry fired several times, hoping that the blast of air wiould move the index pin (or what is left of it) to a position where I could remove the magazine.
  • Moved the lever as much as I could
  • Turn the magazine wheel as much as I could
  • Vibrate the magazine as much as I could
  • Do some of the above while upside down (the Redwolf, not you!!!)
  • Repeat the above and do in various combinations and order

Eventually I guess I was lucky and she came out. If your successful and it is the index pin, then you will either need to replace it and/or move over to newer style magazines and plug the index pin. AOA or Daystate will have the parts. If you try to remove the plate that covers the index pin, DO NOT FORCE it. Mine was stuck in there and I stripped the bolt. THen it was a nightmare. If you get to the point and try to remove and the bolts that hold the plate down are jammed, PM me. Also, if your in a jam i have an extra index pin if you want to "borrow" one until you can get a replacement (assuming it is the same on a .25 as a .177).

Good luck!

JT

Reactions: Redwolfpaul25
Yes, with the new mags, you don't need that pin. Once removed, you can install the replacement cup that has no movement involved. Short of disassembling the action, just tap and shake it around, hopefully the broken piece will shift enough to allow removing the mag. If you have a feeler gauge that will slide under the mag, it might move the pin enough. I would hesitate to beat on it too vigorously, due to the electronics. 

thanks ,im gonna give it one more go and see if that pin can come loose, if not im gonna have to send it back to daystate, quite frustrating really because its not the first time this pin has broken but last time it didnt jam the magazine ! i spent a few quid getting a new actuator pin and fitted it even though i only use the new style mag...wish i didnt bother!!! 

It is not such a big deal. The index pin is made of metal and it pops up with the diversion of a blast of air to advance the magazine. This "older style magazine" needed this for the anti double load mechanism.

The index pin swap is about as easy as changing the breech o-ring. I have shot the hell out of my Redwolf. Well over 30,000 shots. My observation is the pin usually breaks between 10K and 20K shots.

Daystate has redesigned this the dealer will either provide a new pin, or a plug for the pin. Owner can do what they want but as mentioned, if your shooting the older style magazines, they may be obsolete.

New Redwolf now comes with new magazine and no index pin

Good though elh0102. I invested in several of the older style magazines and dont think one can simply abort the index pin for the plug and expect the old ones to work. I would do it in a heartbeat if I could swap out my several Redwolf magazines (yea, I hoarded them) for the new ones.

Correct, the old style needs the pin to advance it. That's why I now use only CARM and the new Daystate mags, and put the new plug in mine.

How do you like the CARM and the new magazines vs the old style? I know many users did not like the old style. BUt I think with the .177 work well (accuracy) and have a half baked theory as to why the old style larger calibers mags were not as accurate. 

On the flipside, I recently got an FX M3. It is a nice rifle. But if I could keep one, it would be the Redwolf. The only area where the M3 excels (for me, and my shooting conditions), is that the M3 has a much larger magazine capacity. You can shoot for quite awhile with those larger side shot magazines.

I have two of the CARM mags for my 22 Wolf. The daystate V1 mags will hold 10 rounds, where as the CARM mags only hold 9. Though I have had zero issues with them, and they are easier to get ahold of as well. That and you can actually get ahold of the designer of the CARM mags, good luck with daystate. They do make great rifles, but their customer service sucks.

IMO, both the CARM and new Daystate mags are an improvement. The old mags themselves were fine, but the operating system, with actuator pin, was a weak design. 

As for the M3 capacity, we'll yeah, guess it depends on priorities and personal preferences. Heck, my favorite of all is a single shot. Firepower vs simplicity and reliability. 

I have the CARM in .177 for my Renegade; as I recall they are the same magazines. The CARM is excellent quality and functions quite well, however, shorter skirted pellets such as CPH require seating with a push tool to seat the pellet properly in the magazine where the head is past the retention O-Ring. Failure to do so will result in the magazine jamming as a pellet will wiggle loose and prevent rotation.

Personally I prefer the old style magazines even if they wear the pellet probe from magazine strikes.

I have not tried the new Daystate magazines.