• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Daystate Redwolf HP .22

Hello guys,

I've just bought a Daystate Red Wolf HP in .22

My first test is just very disappointing. I'm seriously thinking of returning the gun!

I tried it at 60m, my usual range.

Different tests:

-18 gr jsb on low power (+/- 270m/s, which I found adequate for this pellet): pellets all over the place, totally inconsistent. Do you experience that kind of results with those JSB jumbo heavy?

-25gr JSB Monster high power (also tested mid power). These are not the redesigned (I'm still waiting for these): That's just a little better but nothing like I'm used to with all my other guns. Pellets going in all directions and giving 3-5cm groups!!!! I tested at 30m, pellets touching each other like I normally get at 60m but the group is way too large for 30m! I should get one small hole, almost the size of a pellet.

I should get the redesigned monsters and the beast on Tuesday for a last test. But in the meantime I was curious about your experience. Is this gun only good with the redesigned monsters. Or do I have a bad gun that should be returned.

Of course I first checked the consistency with a chrony: it's ok!

I also tested another scope (who knows, my wonderful scope might have had a problem) but it didn't make any difference.

The only remaininig factor I can think of is the pellets but I had never heard that the lothar walther barrel of the daystate was so pellet-fussy! That's why I'm asking about your experience and feedback.

Thanks for your help...

Thanks for the first reactions :)

@ Oregun: I checked the link and I'm by no means getting such results with the Red Wolf!

@Ackuric: I can hardly fine tune the speeds of the 3 settings: it requires a special "programmer" tool. I will check the crown tomorrow!!!

@Rbaz: I shot a few hundred pellets through it already but can hardly tighten the "groups". I can't even call them groups! Especially with the 18 gr!

@Tweeter: I'll check again but didn't notice anything on the shroud! It's an empty shroud by the way and there isn't much to touch. But I'll sure follow your advice and double check. I would be very sad to send it back.

@Coldair: I cleaned the barrel after the first few shots since it was shooting so badly. I hoped it would make a difference. I then certainly shot a few hundred pellets after that!

Thanks for your time and your help!

That's the first thing I eliminated, thought about the magazine and decided to make all the tests without it.

Didn't find any loose screws either. I'll review them again in order to make sure.

The shroud is hold in place with a couple of orings already, I'm not sure where I could add one to help...

Thanks a lot.

Nathaniel.

I'll keep you informed about what I can find...

Well,

Here am I, back from my tests. I finally received some JSB Monster redesigned. I shot the first pellet down range and it went directly to the aimpoint. The next four pellets just followed the same way. Five groups of five in an 1/2 inch at 60 meters (the small target is 1 inch). Just fine, exactly what you expect from that kind of gun.

1543362268_7883181175bfdd6dc4803e5.90059018_IMG_20181127_173906.jpg

I thought something might have changed (I disassembled, cleaned, checked, reassembled....). So I switched back to low power and took some JSB Jumbo Heavy (18gr). The first pellet hit the target below mine, the second went into a target in the above row. Just awful! Totally unusable. 5 shots - more than 4 inches at the same distance.

So here is my question: Are those poor results with the 18gr common to all those guns? Do I specially have a barrel that is extremely picky with pellets?

Although this gun is a pleasure to shoot and extremely accurate with the monster redesigned, I have the feeling that I lost the promised versatility: the idea of switching power and pellets according to the needs.

It still is a woonderful gun and almost a piece of art, however I'm still wondering whether I should keep it or send it back. I'm fully satisfied with the results with the redesigned monsters but at the same time, a little disappointed that I can't use anything else. When you watch AOA's review of the gun, they achieve good results with different kind of pellets.

It's totally understandable and normal that the barrel has its favourite pellet but it my case, the others are not just a little less accurate, they're just impossible to use properly.

Food for thought....

By the way, thanks a lot for the oring specifications... I'll sure buy some Viton if I keep the gun!

Speaking of that, I see that Richieg chose a 75 hardness. My local dealer has 60-70-75-80 and 90. Shall I go for 75? What are yours Hookster?

Do you guys have a list of all the o'rings from the Red Wolf? If I buy O'rings, I'd better take the whole set ;-)

I know, I know, I said I might send it back.... But honnestly, once you put your hands on one, it seems difficult to let it go... 

But I'll sleep on that and see what I'll do...

Based on previous posts here about the RW HP 22 cal, most can shoot the 18’s really well at the low power setting. For some reason yours happens to be really picky. 

Heck, you pretty much have a Wolverine R HP in 22 cal at this point. Personally I’d return it since you’re not 100% satisfied. Otherwise you might as well save some money and buy a Wolverine R HP and just shoot the redesigned pellets. 

I feel for you because I was somewhat disappointed with my Wolverine R HP in 22 cal since the only accurate pellet out of it is the redesigned pellet. Everything else that weighs less is too unstable to use past 30 yards due to shooting too hot. 

Thanks for your feedback. I'll call my dealer tomorrow and maybe Daystate directly to hear what they think about it.

As far as the 18 gr are concerned , they don't seem really easy to find in another head size here in Belgium... It seems I can only get them in 5.52 but I'll check that...

I found the diagram with all the parts in another thread about the RW, thanks.