• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Daystate Redwolf .22 HP accuracy concerns : Please Help!

I was super excited to receive the Daystate Redwolf .22 HP last Friday from AoA. I cleaned the barrel and recharged the battery. I started to test the gun Saturday. My test target is indoor 14 yards. The following is the results using different pellets.

Target circle 63: JSB beast 34g, Hi power, avg 870 FPS, 5 shots

Target circle 67: JSB monster 25g, Mid power, avg 930 FPS, 5 shots

Target circle 25: JSB heavy 18g, Low power, avg 1030 FPS, 10 shots

1540745973_7679677905bd5eaf58a3a91.46027572_6D0C6DB2-FE1D-4BF1-B576-C5ECDBECA799.jpeg

The JSB 34g and 25g shot okay but not great. I’ve various air guns ( Daystate Airwolf .22, FX Impact.22 .25, Fx Crown.25, Thomas .177, RAW .25. RWS .22, Taipan Veteran.22). They all shot one hole group from this short 14 yards distance.

The JSB 18g really baffled me, over 1 inch group at 14 yards! I tried to shoot below 110 bar, 900 FPS the 18g just wouldn’t group. I checked the barrel and breech o-rings, they are intact.

I’m disappointed from the shooting results. Did I missed anything? How do I tighten my shooting groups especially with the JSB 18g. Fellow Redwolf owners, please comment on your experience and share your tips...

I asked a question about the HP barrel, and was told it uses a 16 twist polygon barrel, designed for heavy stuff. At over 1,000 fps with the 18 gr pellet, I'm not surprised at poor accuracy, that's too hot. I don't know the standard twist rate in .22 air rifle barrels, but if it's 16, then you will need to slow it down under 900. But if it is normally a slower twist, then you might have a dilemma for lighter pellets, in that higher velocity is needed for the best spin rate, but the velocity might be a bit over the optimum. So, what you saw in your 18 gr groups at 1,000 might be approaching the best you will be able to do. I view a 50 fpe rifle as a hunting tool, and your heavy pellet accuracy is plenty good for that. 

I own a Red Wolf HP but have not been shooting 18 grain except for a few test shots that grouped horribly because (I assume) excess FPS. 

My Air Wolf on the other hand did great with 18 gr pellets once I had it tuned down to 870 FPS by AoA way back when. True it was a different gun with a shorter non-polygon barrel, but I would try to slow them down if I owned a Daystate PowerSet Programmer, or look at different pellets. After all, not every pellet is right for every air rifle.

Also, you may want to run through page, after page, after page, after page (its up to 21 or 22 pages now) of the Daystate Report thread at https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/the-daystate-report/ to see if anyone else has useful information for you. 

Best wishes

The other Mark B

My RW .22HP launches JSB 18.13 gr, on LOW POWER, at average 853 fps with ES of 4. And very accurate at the 35 yards outdoor distance that I shoot daily.

On HIGH power, the 25.39 JSBs fly at 920 fps ES of 8.

Are you sure that your RW was set to LOW power when you were shooting the 18 grain? If so, you can tune or have it tuned to a lower velocity with the 18.13 on LOW.

I do most of my RW .22HP target shooting with the 18.13 on LOW power, for very high shot count (nearly 200 shots on a fill from 250 bar down to 138 bar), lower pellet cost, and great accuracy.

For pest control, I dial it up to HIGH power and launch 25.39 gr. - packs a punch!

The 25.39 pellets seem to be the most accurate at around 920-940 fps.

The 18.13 pellets seem to be most accurate at around 850 fps.

DHart: I read your post couple times already,

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/red-wolf-22hp-range-report/

I tried all 3 power settings using 18g which of course resulting 1000+ FPS, I shot the tank below 110bar which making the shots under 900 FPS. But the 18g still shoots like a shotgun. Interestingly, I tried JSB 15.89g, 14.3g ,13.43g, Crosman 14.3, And H&N 21.14 they all grouped well even over 1000+ FPS. I just don’t understand why the 18g wouldn’t group. All my other Airgun favorite the 18g. Yes I did try a different tin, the same thing.

Kaylaindy: The Redwolf is electronically regulated, I’m not sure it need settle in. 

Michael: I do all my initial testing indoor 14 yard. This eliminates all external variables. If the gun doesn’t shoots well in this distance any error will be magnified in longer distances.

Other Mark B: I did buy the programmer. I downloaded your programming instructions. Just want to know all the factory’s information before any adjustments.

jp... as you probably know, each gun can strongly favor (or dislike) any particular pellet. It may be that your just doesn't like the taste of the 18.13? But the best thing to do if you want the 18.13 JSB to be a regular pellet choice for you is program the LOW power setting to launch the 18.13 gr. at around 850 fps. If it's still a 'shotgun' blast at that velocity, you might want to skip using that pellet in that gun.

DHart: I read your post couple times already,

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/red-wolf-22hp-range-report/

I tried all 3 power settings using 18g which of course resulting 1000+ FPS, I shot the tank below 110bar which making the shots under 900 FPS. But the 18g still shoots like a shotgun. Interestingly, I tried JSB 15.89g, 14.3g ,13.43g, Crosman 14.3, And H&N 21.14 they all grouped well even over 1000+ FPS. I just don’t understand why the 18g wouldn’t group. All my other Airgun favorite the 18g. Yes I did try a different tin, the same thing.

Kaylaindy: The Redwolf is electronically regulated, I’m not sure it need settle in. 

Michael: I do all my initial testing indoor 14 yard. This eliminates all external variables. If the gun doesn’t shoots well in this distance any error will be magnified in longer distances.

Other Mark B: I did buy the programmer. I downloaded your programming instructions. Just want to know all the factory’s information before any adjustments.

This is what I dont understand, STD RW 30+FT gives 80 shots with the 18.13, 230 bar fill, yet the RW HP will give 200 shots with the 18.13, can all those extra shots just be down to a slightly higher fill pressure and a longer barrel?

I am tempted to order the HP just to get the higher shot count on 18.13's and tell them to tune it to shoot those.

jp... as you probably know, each gun can strongly favor (or dislike) any particular pellet. It may be that your just doesn't like the taste of the 18.13? But the best thing to do if you want the 18.13 JSB to be a regular pellet choice for you is program the LOW power setting to launch the 18.13 gr. at around 850 fps. If it's still a 'shotgun' blast at that velocity, you might want to skip using that pellet in that gun.

Agreed if you have a programmer, first notate ALL of your settings/values, then change your low power to shoot the 18g pellets slower.

Oddly enough I found a decrease in accuracy with the 25g pellets when I dropped below 920fps. Mine likes 935-950 fps.

Agreed if you have a programmer, first notate ALL of your settings/values, then change your low power to shoot the 18g pellets slower.

Oddly enough I found a decrease in accuracy with the 25g pellets when I dropped below 920fps. Mine likes 935-950 fps.

Same with my .22HP - it shoots the 25.39 Monsters best on HIGH power, at 920 fps. With MID power, it shoots the 25.39 at 829 fps, with a decrease in accuracy - not so good.

With the 18.13 JSBs, it shoots these best on LOW power setting, with the pellets flying around 853 fps and typically giving a shot count between 180-190 shots per fill.

Also, the high shot count that I get with mine is on the LOW power setting. Shooting from fill of 250 bar down to 138 bar I have had up to 200 shots. I can routinely get 180-190 shots on LOW. I think this is partially dependent on ambient temperature.

When on the LOW power setting, my gun doesn't display the "low pressure" warning until around 135 bar. On HIGH power, that warning comes on at around 150 bar. So, I think that on LOW setting, my gun stays in regulation down to around 135 bar.

RW .22HP on LOW power setting:

18.13 gr JSB @ average 853 fps = 29.3 fpe ES = 4 (best accuracy with the 18.13 gr JSB)

Average # of shots, per bar of air used: 1.65

Average bar of air used, per shot: .61

Average shot count from 250 bar down to 138 bar: 185.

RW .22HP on HIGH power setting:

25.39 RD @ average 920 fps = 47.73 fpe ES = 8 (best accuracy with the 25.39 JSB)

Average # of shots, per bar of air used: .89

Average bar of air used ,per shot: 1.13

Average shot count from 250 bar down to 150 bar: 89

It’s the lot# of jsb 18.1’ they are all over the place in head dia. Weight, skirt dia. Also look at outside edge of skirt if you see a fissure or looks like a crack or thin line going around circumference of skirt? Then that portion of skirt will tear off in choke causing unbelievably bad accuracy! Trust me I know! Mine absolutely loves 18.1’s at 890fps on low power, shoots 25.39’s at 930+ On hi power excellent accuracy! Not as fussy from lot to lot?, forget the 34’s on high, will destabilize after about 75yds! I love my Red Wolf you will to trust me... also give time to season the barrel? Mine shoots best after about 25 pellets down bore after cleaning! These are my observations for my gun! Also never changed any settings from factory specs.! One more thing that caught my eye in your graph of velocity’s is 18.1’s shouldn’t be @ 1030fps on low power? That’s what mine shoots on mid. Power not low?