• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning Daystate Red Wolf Programmer Error When Read/Save ing

I bought the Daystate Program to tweak the velocities in my Red Wolf. I plugged everything in, turned on, saw the "Welcome Super User" in the LCD, went to the MK 5 menu, and then MK 5 Read/Save Data and hit the return button but keep getting "Error!" upon doing so. I've made sure the LCD was cycled on, tried opening the bolt while reading, then closed bolt but no luck. At the suggestion of a knowledgeable member I tried unplugging the unit, turning the rifle on, and then plugging the unit in and saving but no dice. I also have the unit plugged into a USB on my laptop while trying to read/save just in case the internal unit battery is low but it still doesn't read/save. Does anyone have any ideas why I'm not able to read and save? 

Thanks, Gene

Thanks for the info. I watched the two videos several times. I figured it out late last night. My programmer came with a two piece CAT cable. The cable that attaches to the programmer consists of four exposed wires on the opposite end where it goes to an in-line connector for five wires. There's four wires visible that are black, green, red and yellow. The wiring harness that connects the CAT cable from the programmer to the Red Wolf's board has 5 exposed wires; one black and four red. When I first plugged the two parts of the cable together I used standard practice of matching the cable colors but the only matching color was the black wire so that's how I plugged the CAT cable and wiring harness together. I kept getting "Error!" every time I tried to Read/Save and then it dawned on me that I must have the connector reversed, so I turned the plug around on the wiring harness and was able to read and save the data. I really wished whoever fabricated the CAT cable made it so it was one piece or the wire colors (or at least one color) matched when you plug the two pieces together. Or, at the very least have something in the instructions or a note but there was no reference whatsoever. 

Yep, be glad to help. On the wiring harness (pigtail) mine has five wires connected to an inline plug (male). The wires are all red but one is wrapped in black heat shrink. The heat shrink wrapped wire (black) goes in the left most position and the remaining red wires follow. I'm not sure of the name of the connector on the opposite end that plugs into the RW board but I've attached pictures. It doesn't lock into the board but it can only be inserted one way so you won't be able to accidentally plug it in backwards (to the board). The black wire plugs into the left most position (toward the butt end of the rifle). On the CAT cable side female connector from left to right is a yellow wire, red, green, and black. The wires terminate into a female in-line connector (5 position). The first position is open and the wires begin at position #2 and go to #5 position. The CAT cable black wire goes into position #5 which is the opposite end of the pigtail black wire.

Sorry if my written description isn't up to snuff - I've only had one cup of coffee so far this morning so I'm still waking up. Hope the pictures help. I wish I knew the part number and source of the connector that plugs into the RW but unfortunately I don't. I'm sure Mouser or Digi Key carries it and if you send them the picture below they'll be able to help. Mouser has no minimum order so in theory you could order just one but you might want to get a couple....so you can send me one when I lose mine. Seriously though if you find out the part number and manufacturer of it I'd appreciate it if you could post it on this thread. I'll try to find out from my end as well. Oh yeah, forgot, but the wires look like they're maybe 18 or 20 gauge on both the CAT cable and pigtail. Anyway hope this helps. Let me know how you make out or if you need any other info.

Thanks, Gene

IMG_1039.1606316400.JPG
IMG_1040.1606316400.JPG

IMG_1035.1606316073.JPG