• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Daystate Red Wolf or Wolverine (177 or 25)

I'm wanting a new airgun. I'm mainly a offhand shooter that practices for Sillhouette @45 yds. I'm wanting something with more power and range than my Styer hunting challenge.

I seen the new Daystate HP 177 and really like the idea. The Red Wolf is neat but does not seem to be easily adjusted by user beyond the 3 power settings. I'm really not a tinkerer any way.

The Daystate Wolverine seems more adjustable but missing the electronic trigger and valve control.

My back yard range us 45yds but I can stretch to 65 yds down the back fence. Most of my shooting would be at these ranges but I do take my airguns out for some longer distance shooting on occasion.

I'm torn between the 177 and the 25 cal. I'm not really interested in economy. Just want a gun to give me more power an distance. I'm not a hunter just a target shooter. I seem to have a attraction to 177

Any advice between the Wolverine and Red Wolf

I am also a BIG fan of .177 caliber; currently own both models in .177 and love them both. Incredibly accurate, but if you want the finest trigger in the Airgun market (in my opinion), then go with the Red Wolf and its e-trigger. If you want an excellent mechanical trigger go for the Wolverine. Can’t go wrong either way.

I have shot the .25 cal Red Wolf HP at EBR and it is much more of a long distance 60 yard and further type of gun. Supper accurate at close ranges, but a little over kill in the power department unless hunting. If you decide on .25 I would absolutely go with the HP versions to get the most out of the caliber. If you go with the Red Wolf in .25 cal you get power options to turn down the power at closer ranges, which you would not get in the Wolverine R HP.

Just my two cents....

Let is know what you decide.

I've owned both, as well as the Steyr Challenge Hunting. Not sure why you need more power, unless your Steyr is the 12 fpe model. Neither rifle has a trigger in the class of your Steyr. I found the Wolverine stock to be an awful fit for a good cheek weld with scope, but fit is an individual thing. The RW has an adjustable cheek piece, so an overall better stock for target shooting. The electronic trigger can be adjusted very light, but it doe not have the crisp feel of a good two-stage trigger, such as your Steyr. To have a power advantage, you would need the HP version, which is long and, for me, would not be very well suited to silhouette offhand shooting. Frankly, you have the very rifle I would recommend for your purpose.

I am completely happy with the Styer. It is the higher power version. Im not looking to replace the Styer. It is my silhouette rifle.

I was just giving some info on the style of shooting I like to do.

I'm really just wanting a new airgun. I want something to shoot longer ranges. I would like to be able to ring steel plates @ 100 yds. My Styer will do it but is really wind sensitive.

I know the 25 is better for distance but the idea of a 16gr 177 seems like it would really do well at long distances.

The real point is that I'm not looking for a hunting gun or a bench gun.

I'm pretty hooked on the Daystate electronic triggers. I feel there no match to their feel like clicking a mouse and this particular addiction started with my first Airwolf. I really like the e-triggers on my Renegades as well. The Redwolf shoulders and balances perfectly but the Pulsars and Renegades not so much but I like them anyway as shorter compact guns because of their triggers IMHO. The Airwolf with the CF bottles are well balanced and very comfortable to shoulder as well but they have only 2 power settings in which a Heliboard would really do wonders to.

Those videos down below literally blew me away. YO!

Oh-oh is it the one that the magazine index pop up pin damages the probe? Forgot about that HP quirk or have they remedied it already? YO!

It's not the pin that contacts the probe, but the hand (advance lever?) in the magazine. The new mag design cures that, as does the CARM magazine. I have a couple for my Red Wolf and they work well. That said, the "problem" of the probe damage has, in my opinion, been a little overstated. Yes, it can visibly mar the probe, but it's not at a location that causes any issue with functionality. I don't think the new mags are readily available yet. 

Oh-oh is it the one that the magazine index pop up pin damages the probe? Forgot about that HP quirk or have they remedied it already? YO!

It's not the pin that contacts the probe, but the hand (advance lever?) in the magazine. The new mag design cures that, as does the CARM magazine. I have a couple for my Red Wolf and they work well. That said, the "problem" of the probe damage has, in my opinion, been a little overstated. Yes, it can visibly mar the probe, but it's not at a location that causes any issue with functionality. I don't think the new mags are readily available yet. 

Oops, somehow double posted and can't delete, sorry.