Daystate Red Wolf HP .22

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought a Red Wolf HP .22 and it just wont group when I'm using the 10shot magazine. With the single shot tray its fine.. more than fine.. awesome actually!! But as soon as I put that magazine in.. o boy.. I use my gun for pest control on the farm and I dont have time to single load every time. Is that just the way it is with this gun?? Have I just bought the most expensive... most advanced single shot gun there is?? or am I missing something.. is there a aftermarket magazine that works.. or a pellet or slug that is still accurate when using the magazine??

I have Renegade and a Pulsar HP and in both cases the magazines are undependable. I had AOA replace the mag on the Renegade. They said the new magazine likely won't be any better and it isn't.

With both guns I always reload the mag after taking 5 shots, beyond that accuracy goes all to hell. With single loading accuracy is always spot on.

BTW, we're not the only ones with this issue. There is a very long thread on the Daystate owners site on the same subject.

Some of the daystate/brocock magazines have a misalignment issue as see in the photos below, aslo make sure your not using a pellet that's not too long. If the pellet is too long it has a tendency to shave off a but of the nose or tail of the pellet. The bit of gold you see is the misaligned magazine. 

1546191071_7941817375c2900df8d60f1.75239914_20181015_185742.jpg

1546191089_3280198795c2900f105c4f5.39385585_20181015_185722.jpg

Mine is exactly the same. Pinpoint accurate single shot. Basically a musket with the magazine.

I can't for the life of me find the reason for or location of pellet clipping or whatever is going on.

There are some members at my club that have bought and tried a number of magazines until they found one or two that worked properly. I'm reluctant to try that, with no guarantee of success but an absolute guarantee of a very unhappy bank account...

I have found that H&N pellets work better in the magazine due to their harder alloy I assume, but there are still a couple of fliers in each magazine. Plus they're not quite as good as jsb to begin with.

I look forward to hearing people's opinions on this. Might find some sort of cure 🙏🏻

Checked it for alignment.. and it lines up perfectly... I have a theory (please excuse my english and spelling its not my first language)... The anti double load feature.. when does the mag index?? when do it go to the next pellet? So.. when u take a shot with your RW there is a pin that shoot up and hit the bottom of the mag to make it index when u pull the side lever back.. so in the process of making a shot the mag under tension goes and hit the pin (whats the right word) that holds the pellet firmly in the barrel.. u can go and check that pin.. it will have a mark on it from the mag hitting it over and over again in the same place.. now my theory is that the pellet have not left the barrel by this stage and... the pin that comes up.. hitting the mag.. the mag hitting the pellet-probe pin thing.. that all causes vibration and instability in the process of making a shot.. when using the single shot tray there is a space at the bottom of the tray so that the pin dont hit anything.

In defense of Daystate, I have an Airwolf and 4 magazines. I haven't had any issues with them regarding accuracy. On the other hand, I recently got a Brocock Sniper HR, (which is a Daystate company), and the magazine is atrocious ! It doesn't line up at all. The gun is a laser with the single shot tray....hit and miss with the magazine. It just doesn't align the pellet with the breach. Just my two cents worth.

Out of the 7 mags I have purchased for my .22 cal Daystate guns, the RW and Renegade use the same mag. 2 of them currently wont function/feed reliably. I have taken them apart, cleaned them, ensured proper spring tension and they still suck. The mags that are the most reliable for me are the all black mags, the ones that have the metal look to them give me the most headache. As for accuracy I haven't seen this with the mags my problems have all been fail to feed/cycle issues. Like they are gummed up or something. 

Thanks Hookster. The mag functions perfectly.. it aligns perfectly.. I use Jsb Heavy Beast and Monsters plus a lot of H N plus Rifle Premium Series round and pointed Polymags u name it and im waiting for an order for 8 different brands and gr that i dont have yet... just to test and to see if there is not a pellet out there that i can use with the mag and still be accurate... I must state that with the single shot tray all of these pellets i mentioned performs as expected.. espesialy the 25g redesigned jsb its awesome.. but put them in the mag and I cant for the life of me get a decent group.. The Rifle Premium Series is worst of all cant hit a 1inch target at 25.. but single load them and it will punch a 5shot one hole group at 50.

Thanks Hookster. The mag functions perfectly.. it aligns perfectly.. I use Jsb Heavy Beast and Monsters plus a lot of H N plus Rifle Premium Series round and pointed Polymags u name it and im waiting for an order for 8 different brands and gr that i dont have yet... just to test and to see if there is not a pellet out there that i can use with the mag and still be accurate... I must state that with the single shot tray all of these pellets i mentioned performs as expected.. espesialy the 25g redesigned jsb its awesome.. but put them in the mag and I cant for the life of me get a decent group.. The Rifle Premium Series is worst of all cant hit a 1inch target at 25.. but single load them and it will punch a 5shot one hole group at 50.

Drop the power to low on the RW HP and try shooting the JSB 18.13 with the mag, the mags were never designed to shoot the JSB Monster/Beast pellets with the larger skirt size, perhaps the mag is re-sizing them somewhat?

...the mags were never designed to shoot the JSB Monster/Beast pellets with the larger skirt size, perhaps the mag is re-sizing them somewhat?

I shoot the 25.89 monsters in my Pulsar HP on high and medium and they group fine using the magazine, but only the first 5-6 rounds, anything past that... not good.

It would seem to upset the accuracy to the degree that's being discussed considerable damage would have to be occurring meaning that pellets would be chambering hard and there would be something clearly noticeable occurring. Loading off the single shot tray doesn't necessarily mean the pellets are perfectly aligned each and every time either (I would agree it's probably better).

Hard for me to think the magazines are "OFF" that much. Now if it's one type of pellet which is unusually large then different story entirely. 

You fellows that have been experiencing this is it ALL pellets or some and can you feel a bind or a misalignment when loading from the mag? Is it just the HP guns? 

I planning to order a Red Wolf HP in 22 and I'd like to have answers if possible to avoid the problem . I know AOA tests their guns before shipping I would like to think they are working on and with Daystate to solve this. Single loading is a poor solution.

Solutions ??? 

When Jared Clark of AOA tested the Red Wolf (check it out on you tube) at 50 for accuracy... he used the single shot tray.. "im gonna use the single shot tray for accuracy"... meaning?? they know its not accurate with the mags.

Extreme Benchrest.. what did all the Red Wolf guys and gals do... single load.. yes and they won almost every class.. bet there would not even be one podium using the mags..

Im still gonna keep my gun.. just wish Daystate could have told me beforehand that the Red Wolf was not going to be as accurate with the mags... they all know about this but I had to find out for myself after I bought it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.