Daystate Red Wolf GURU\'s, Got a question fo you!!

Hi! Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem? I have a .177 cal Red Wolf that is approaching a year old that I shoot almost every day, that being said I also have the programmer and have set my speed close to the 20 ft/lb limit (818 FPS with 13.43 JSB monsters) aloud in the hunter class as the rifle was set at about 779 FPS from the factory.

This actually improved the standard of deviation and extreme spread and the rifle shot at least as well as the factory tune, maybe a bit better. Last Wednesday while shooting I noticed I was shooting a bit low at the longer distances 40-55 yards while practicing but didn't check it out on the chrony until yesterday. I found it was shooting at least 50 FPS slow in all three of the settings so this morning I hooked up my programmer and raised the three settings by 20 points and the velocity stayed the same. NOT A GOOD SIGN!! I checked and double checked the battery finding it to be fully charged as I had charged it just a few days before so I don't think that's an issue, Voltage was 8.4 which is good for a fully charged 2 cell lipo battery.

Has anyone else had this problem? I put a call in to A.O.A. but was only able to leave a message on the tech line for a return call, I really hate not being able to work on my own stuff and it's making me rethink the electric gun stuff as know that Field Target season is finally getting back on track I will be without a rifle if I have to send it back for service, I also have a Safari in .30 cal for bench rest so I'm kind of bought into the electronic thing, shame on me I guess!! Just wondering if anyone has any info or advice. Thank's in advance J.L.

Hmmm, I got a new RW, .177 regular power w/ 1st gen board, about a month ago. First few days I measured the FPS at all power settings with a variety of pellets. An example was with Air Arms 10.4 @ medium. Ave 827 FPS, spread 14, SD 3.9. Impressed and satisfied with that I put the FX chrony away. 10 days later I do some readings and find that I lost about 30 FPS at each power setting (now797 FPS @ medium with the same pellet) and the SD (10.4) and ES (30) both increased. This was the case over several days and extensive fidgeting with the FX Radar Chrony to see if positioning was the issue. I cleaned barrell, tested at several tank fill pressures, battery levels, etc, but the results remained the same. I only have a maximum of 23 yards range at my house and I was satisfied with the accuracy, so i decided not to stress and just make sure I no longer saw a decline in FPS or increase in SD or ES, and I have not.

Not sure it is the same situation as yours, but I observe someting similar.

JL, 5thumbs

Watching this thread closely. Very interested to find out what AoA tech thinks might be your issue. I have a .25 Safari and frequently spot check both JSB 25g and 33g MK2’s with FX Radar Chrony, and so far the FPS readings have been consistent from the original factory settings. Have not observed any noticeable loss in FPS at both Hi, Mid and Lo power levels. Something definitely doesn’t add up here as to why both of you are observing 30 and 50 FPS drops in velocities at each power level with the same pellets. I don’t have the programmer but let us know what AoA finds out after they troubleshoot your issue. Your under warranty so that’s good news in case you have to send it back. 

Good luck.

I know whitefox45 and he does not have a FX chrono so that is not the issue.

Don’t think it’s a Chrony issue either Yo. I know there has been much posted and written about some comparison differences in using the FX Radar Chrony vs. other Chronys. But, the fact that he is shooting lower at 50-60 yards now than he was BEFORE the drop in velocity, suggests it “might” be due to velocity drop. This happened to me also, but with a different airgun. See below:

As an example, I had a Daystate Motörhead HUMA tuned DS Regal .22 which also had a 50 FPS drop in velocity using both the 15.89 and 18.1 Pellets. The tune and accuracy was stellar at 50 yards and less for months. I had many saved Chrony strips showing the before and after using FX Radar, so it wasn’t the Chrony. I traded that gun in to AOA fully disclosing the issue to fund a RW Safari. Not sure how AoA resolved that issue, but I don't think the Chrony is at issue here either.

I’m still wondering about Intermittent voltage drop or programming parameters, but if it were me, I would let AoA work the issue with DS if needed. We all benefit from knowing the resolution. 

A couple of clarifications from my post:

1. I have not used a programmer.

2. I'm using an FX Radar Chrony and even sent for the barrel mount thinking that would help things (it did not)

3. I changed the barrel o-ring.

4. I got the faster/better chrony readings on day 1 or 2 of getting the RW. I do not remember external parameters (temperature, RW in sun, etc) that I shot the 1st set of strings.

I had the same issue, it was a internal o-ring, not exactly sure which one or more than one? If arzrover see’s this post he can guide you in the right direction ( he’s helped me a lot with my RW! ) he is the ultimate RW guru! I sent mine back to AoA for repair under warranty

I bet it was that o-ring for that pop up magazine advance index pin. Yo!

Here is a part diagram of the RW in case arzover or anyone else with "guru status" has a clue to which O-ring it could be and if I can swap it out myself. Thanks.
1591724814_19489695925edfcb0ed22c20.10031974.png

Yo, he would know if that was the issue, by taking SS tray out or mag. out The actuator pin breaks and sticks to The magnets, and velocity is more erratic! If it’s consistent velocity drop across all 3 power levels I believe it’s going to be internal? And probably not the electronics? Believe it or not I’ve never had a electronics issue with either RW’s I’ve owned!

Don't know why on Earth Daystate would do it this way using expelled air to actuate a pin to index a magazine when they could have just simply integrated it onto the cocking lever that feels weird like it's broken with literally no effort to cock it. Could have simply made it a semiautomatic instead since that trigger is already semiauto shooting blanks. 😉 Yo!