• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Daystate Red Wolf Fill Question

I bought a new Daystate Red Wolf and picked her up yesterday. I'm in the process of getting familiar with it and wanted to top off the air pressure. Currently the LCD says it's at 198 BAR but when I connect the stirrup pump it goes up to 220 in just a few pumps, like maybe 10 or so. I think the pump's safety valve is set to around 225-230 because when I reach 220 and give it another stroke it pushes the needle up slightly, I hear what sounds like a click, and then the needle drops back down to 220. I'm thinking maybe the air's not getting into the on-board bottle or something because (1) when I bleed and disconnect it it still says 198 BAR, and (2) when the pump gauge reads around 200 it should take quite a few more strokes to get to 220. I know the instruction manual says not to fill it till you get the "low pressure" readout on the LCD so is it because it won't accept air until then? What am I missing here? I have an FX Royale 400 that I bought in 2014 and understand how to operate most PCP's but this new computerized stuff takes some getting used to. Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated. As a side note, I'm using the stirrup pump because my 750 carbon fiber tank is getting hydro tested - I normally don't use the pump. Also one last question - I thought maybe they topped it off at the place I bought it and maybe the LCD reading is off but 22 BAR would be off by quite a bit. Do you think that's possible?

Thanks, Gene

Sounds like the pump gauge is off. The pressure sensors on all the Red Wolf's I've shot have been exact and that's what I would expect , as well. Gauges are notoriously inaccurate. When filling... whether pumping or from a bottle, the pressure in the hose has to go beyond the current reservoir pressure enough to push the fill valve open before air is allowed into it. That's the click you hear. Each airgun inlet valve may be a little different in HOW MUCH extra pressure will open it. The lcd display or a mechanical gauge are no different in operation, just method of display, so no wizardry to understand. 

My suggestion is to pump till the gauge on the rifle is where you want it.

Bob