• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Daystate Red Wolf accuracy problem

Bought Daystate Red Wolf Cal 5.5, HP 50ft/lbs last month.

Pellet tested JSB in 18.13, 25.39 redesigned and 33.956 Jambo Beast. Velociry spread is up to 32 fps. Targets very inaccurate.

Any suggestion for enhancing its accuracy
1570168473_6583557475d96de9903b820.41943504_20191002_195125.jpg

download.png
View attachment 1570168494_10460933195d96deae409cf7.05068802_Daystate Red Wolf velocity chart.xlsx

You didn't indicated whether you bought it new or used. I would be curious to know the answer to this question.

Mine shoots the JSB 25.39 Redesigned on HP and the H&N Baracuda 5.53 Match on medium power into +/- 1/2" groups at 50 yards, and virtually single hole groups at 20. At 100 yards, it will shoot <1.5" all day. The JSB 18.3 grain shoot ok but not nearly as good as these two pellets.

I believe this rifle was pretty much set-up for the JSB 25.39 so as suggested by others, I would stay with it until you get your problem worked out, on high power only.

My rifle was purchased from and tuned pre-delivery by Ken Hicks at Southern Precision Air Weapons. He also altered the magazines pre-shipment so as not to have the much discussed accuracy issues. Even so, I shoot mine utilizing the single shot tray 99% of the time as this allows me to utilize the focus wheel on my scope.

You definitely have an issue, and if you did purchase it new, I would suggest you have discussions and seek assistance from whence it came. Otherwise, I would seek out a tuning expert for this rifle and get help from an expert.

Reactions: woogie_man
My RW standard power had accuracy issues, turned out to be a bad barrel. But your velocity spread suggests something more. I had a RW HP also, and it was hard to keep the barrel clean, which could be part of your problem, as I don't think that spread would result in such poor accuracy. It's probably not going to shoot anything other than the 25 redesigned.

I am assuming the targets were shot at 50 yards/meters. I suggest you do all remaining set up using only the HP setting, and the 25 gr redesigned pellet. That will eliminate variables, and it's almost certain to be the best pellet anyway. I think there may be an O ring or electronic issue that is causing a 30 fps ES. But, I believe the most common fault is with the barrel, and I would concentrate on that first, try to eliminate it as a variable. A fouled barrel can cause enormous accuracy problems, and these poly barrels and high velocity are noted for it. Remove the barrel and breech O ring, and then scrub the barrel well with a brush and some type lead solvent, Ballistol should work. Scrub from the breech to aoid any damage to the crown. While the barrel is off, look closely at the muzzle crown and the air port at the breech, both should be smooth. The original barrel on my RW had a small burr at the port that was causing pellet damage and accuracy problems. 

Reactions: maxtrouble
Hi Friends

Finally Daystate sent me the new barrel, 

Attached are my two targets and velocity data with JSB pellets 5.5mm using25 grains redesigned at 50 meters using new barrel which was sent by Daystate.

Using at hi power maximum velocity was 914 fps and minimum was 891 fps in 40 rounds. Can this gun be further tunned or pellets need to be replaced.

Do you suggest Heliboard can further increase accuracy
1582539578_21300173105e53a33a7178b2.11822699_20200222_183949.jpg
1582539579_18067326255e53a33b101e43.82504475_20200222_183726.jpg
1582539580_21188130055e53a33c1c6048.26357287_20200222_140056.jpg

I'll offer a couple of thoughts, but remember, I'm no expert, although I do own a Red Wolf. First, I'm not sure your expectations are fully realistic. The groups above seem to indicate that the rifle is willing to shoot. I don't know the conditions under which the target was shot, or anything about your bench technique, both of which are important. I would clean the barrel and shoot it more. My experience with the Red Wolf is similar to yours, although mine is standard power. I also had to replace the original barrel, and it shoots very well now. I haven't done a chrono run in a while, but I can tell you it is not as consistent as my regulated rifles. But frankly, it doesn't have to be, as it shoots very well. If pushed to its extreme distance, then I expect that a higher degree of consistency would be noticeable. I had a HP Red Wolf for a short while, and I know the poly barrel in that rifle required more diligence in cleaning that the cut rifled barrel in the standard power rifle. My guess, with attention to barrel maintenance and shooting technique, your rifle may be okay. 

Reactions: Stone02
I'll offer a couple of thoughts, but remember, I'm no expert, although I do own a Red Wolf. First, I'm not sure your expectations are fully realistic. The groups above seem to indicate that the rifle is willing to shoot. I don't know the conditions under which the target was shot, or anything about your bench technique, both of which are important. I would clean the barrel and shoot it more. My experience with the Red Wolf is similar to yours, although mine is standard power. I also had to replace the original barrel, and it shoots very well now. I haven't done a chrono run in a while, but I can tell you it is not as consistent as my regulated rifles. But frankly, it doesn't have to be, as it shoots very well. If pushed to its extreme distance, then I expect that a higher degree of consistency would be noticeable. I had a HP Red Wolf for a short while, and I know the poly barrel in that rifle required more diligence in cleaning that the cut rifled barrel in the standard power rifle. My guess, with attention to barrel maintenance and shooting technique, your rifle may be okay.

Is yours the .177cal or the .22cal?