Daystate red wolf 177 hp and slugs.

Hello guys i need your feedback on something. So my gun shoots the jsb beasts 16.20 grains at high power (900 fps) but when it comes to slugs i shoot the 15.5 grains nielsen slugs at (860fps). Thats 40 fps drop for 0.70 grains lighter ammo. So my guess is that because is not a diabollo shaped projectile it doesnt have much friction with the barrel to spin it fast enough?.Btw it shoots the slugs very accurately even at that speed. What do you guys think?

Thank you. 

Hello guys i need your feedback on something. So my gun shoots the jsb beasts 16.20 grains at high power (900 fps) but when it comes to slugs i shoot the 15.5 grains nielsen slugs at (860fps). Thats 40 fps drop for 0.70 grains lighter ammo. So my guess is that because is not a diabollo shaped projectile it doesnt have much friction with the barrel to spin it fast enough?.Btw it shoots the slugs very accurately even at that speed. What do you guys think?

Thank you. 

I would think more contact area=more friction=lower velocity for a slug.

Would you mind posting some pics of the groups you are getting with the .177 slugs?

I currently own an MKII Impact setup to shoot pellets and slugs in .22 and .25. Don’t know if FX ever plans to make slug liner in .177. If I can’t get my Uragan to satisfactorily shoot the .177 slugs, I will probably start looking to purchase something like your RWHP in .177. 

I really, really want an air gun that can shoot .177 slugs with extreme precision and consistency. 

Would you mind posting some pics of the groups you are getting with the .177 slugs?

I currently own an MKII Impact setup to shoot pellets and slugs in .22 and .25. Don’t know if FX ever plans to make slug liner in .177. If I can’t get my Uragan to satisfactorily shoot the .177 slugs, I will probably start looking to purchase something like your RWHP in .177. 

I really, really want an air gun that can shoot .177 slugs with extreme precision and consistency.

I don’t have any pictures.i will get some next time I go out but to give you an idea you can cover a 5 shot group at 75 meters with a 1euro coin. Pretty amazed by the results. 

The slugs base doesn't flare out like a pellet skirt to seal the bore. Thus causing blow by and reduced speeds. 

cbuckley: My S500 with lw 12 groove barrel did well, Shutik has had luck with a zobroia bullpup using a lw 12 groove barrel and a RAW TM1000 sporting a lw polygon barrel. The trick is getting the slugs over 700 fps, though over 800fps is recommended.

Thank you. 

I would think more contact area=more friction=lower velocity for a slug.

Is it also because is hollow point and not a round nose?

it is going slower because of the drag is more on the slug and it is slowing it down , If you removed your bolt and pushed a pellet threw and then your slug you will feel the slug is harder to push

as for spinning both are spinning the twist of the barrel so they spinning same rate , If you are shooting accurate the slugs must fit your barrel good and they are biting into rifling , usually when I do make slugs for my guns I measure bore and add .0005 bigger

Example

.25 caliber

bore at tighest point .249.0

I would make slugs finished size at .2495

this much drag is about pushing a slug threw your barrel with about 10 pounds of force with your cleaning rod

and to verify push a slug threw and look with a light and a magnifying glass for good rifling grooves all the way around slug

LOU

The slugs base doesn't flare out like a pellet skirt to seal the bore. Thus causing blow by and reduced speeds. 

cbuckley: My S500 with lw 12 groove barrel did well, Shutik has had luck with a zobroia bullpup using a lw 12 groove barrel and a RAW TM1000 sporting a lw polygon barrel. The trick is getting the slugs over 700 fps, though over 800fps is recommended.

Yes I noticed that when I push the slug into the bore it goes extremely smooth in. My barrel is 600 mm polygon. 

it is going slower because of the drag is more on the slug and it is slowing it down , If you removed your bolt and pushed a pellet threw and then your slug you will feel the slug is harder to push

as for spinning both are spinning the twist of the barrel so they spinning same rate , If you are shooting accurate the slugs must fit your barrel good and they are biting into rifling , usually when I do make slugs for my guns I measure bore and add .0005 bigger

Example

.25 caliber

this much drag is about pushing a slug threw your barrel with about 10 pounds of force with your cleaning rod

and to verify push a slug threw and look with a light and a magnifying glass for good rifling grooves all the way around slug

LOU

Thank you I will do that. Is there any way shooting slugs damage the barrel?also my barrel doesn’t get that dirty shooting them. 

Have you been able to recover any slugs or push them through the barrel to see how much engagement/deformation is occurring to the slug? I've found my 12 groove to leave even clean marks starting 2/3 down from the tip. When I load it there is very little resistance as well.

Slugs won't damage your barrel. The NSA brand use softer lead the a JSB.

If you're getting a repeatable poi and predictable wind shift I wouldn't worry about your current drop in fps.

Example

.25 caliber

LOU

This is exactly my experience as well.