Daystate Pulsar

Look to the UK. They have not landed in the US yet (as far as I know). Tony Belas told me (at IWA) that Jerry Moss and his militia from Penrith & District Red Squirrel Group have had a go with the gun. Said that they were a little weary of the whole bullpup thing. But after a day of shooting the Pulsar, their traditional rifles were said to feel like broom handles. :) If memory serves me, official release date was to be in May.

Reactions: DylanSanders
Um, yes, production did start in March, but has run on into April... First manufactured batch is the Limited Edition (OS) and like most limited editions they tend to be a big hit in the UK, but you are right about the standard model, AofA has hoovered up the first production batch of all of them, so the first Pulsar standards that will be seen will be in the USA.

Looks like June in USA for the .25's then. Darn, I guess my deposit goes for the .22 cal, and Ill just have to buy a second one in June- it's only $, right? Will be going into airgun withdrawal soon since my Regal's gone, sold my Discovery setup to Brother-in-law last night and all that's left is the Benjamin 312 I've had since 1957, and a break barrel from
"Got.Aim.Miles.Off"

I hope the Pulsar will push a 25 gr pellet at a usable trajectory. Maybe that will bridge the gap somewhat in lieu of true .25 cal energy.

"Jama"
I hope the Pulsar will push a 25 gr pellet at a usable trajectory. Maybe that will bridge the gap somewhat in lieu of true .25 cal energy.

Agreed. I am hoping for 45+ ft/lbs. The AirWolf .25 shot just fine, but at 40-42 ft lbs, I think it was frequently passed on for a higher powered option (I know I passed on the gun because of that reason). Owners want as flat of a trajectory as possible, without sacrificing accuracy. JSB 25.4's at 880-920 fps seems to be the "magic zone" right now. I think an electronic gun with those specs (at that size) would turn some heads.

I have asked Daystate for the fpe of the 0.25 - but received no reply to date. If it is proved to be a genuine 45 fpe then that's the one I would go for.
The next question would be which stock; I like the laminate but the contour lines seem to be discontinuous - as if the stock is made up of several sections.
And lastly, will Daystate modify the cocking lever position - as has FX with their new Impact and Bobcat II ? In which case would it be better to wait for the updated model ?

Short answer is that we dont know as we do not have a .25 to test until the barrels arrive, and anyway we have our hands full at the moment with the initial production and other projects. But given that we quote 35 fpe max in a .22 and the maximum pellet weight are 25.4 in both .22 and .25 I don’t expect the .03" to make a Difference to the available power. If we still had the 36 gr pax bullets - maybe, but then the accuracy wasn’t as good as with the JSB and do you want power over accuracy? Some do, but most take accuracy as a given.

It’s an electronic rifle so we just don’t have the same power available as a slide hammed and bed spring; On top of that we have everything crammed into a box to fit into the available space on a bull pup. In theory the new GCU unit gives up about 10% more power than the CDT from an air wolf, but in practice its slightly less and we also have 300cc of air tube against the Air Wolfs 500cc milk bottle.

Laminate: you are probably judging colour from photos which can distort things. The laminate colour is the same all the way through J. Since the great fire at Boyds in South Dakota (?) all laminate is coming from Finland, generally the Fin colours are more vibrant, more even and...more expensive - which is why Boyds were first choice!Cocking linkage. At the time of the design concept 18 months ago we looked at other linkages, but decided to keep it direct, as it’s simple fast and allows for easy adaption – to left hand for example. Ok it takes a little practice but we thought it better to avoid too much extra mechano. Since then the FX has appeared at IWA and I admire the solution, but it wasn’t for us and I don’t think we will be following that path, as – when you actually get to shoot the Pulsar for a bit, you will find that its not really a problem.

"DaystateUK"At the time of the design concept 18 months ago we looked at other linkages, but decided to keep it direct, as it’s simple fast and allows for easy adaption – to left hand for example.

As a chauvinistic right-hander, that is a point I almost always fail to consider. The forgotten lefties can rejoice, as they can switch the cocking lever on the Pulsar. Until recently, manufacturers weren't even making reversible bolt actions. Now, the lefties get a reversible lever? Me thinks the squeaky wheel got some grease. :)

"I loves me some Daystate"!
I really am impressed with the candor and insight provided by Tony, et al. I feel reassured that the .22 cal will be essentially as good as it will get on this platform in its current design (which is brilliant, I believe) and near a dedicated .25 cal, given its compact size. If I get really power hungry later on, then I'll get another brilliant design from Daystate in .25 or .30 or so. Who knows what great things are just over the horizon? I'm sure i've got some growing to do with the Pulsar; I'll learn to do it justice.

I loved my fully electronic Pulsar .25, but traded it in for an Impact .30 for the extra power. Now, I hear Daystate's coming out with a .30 cal. Pulsar! 

I'm seriously considering trading in my Impact .30 when the new Pulsar .30 becomes available. Notwithstanding the awesome capability of the Impact to field swap bottles, I have to defer to the uber-low SD of the Pulsar. (My shot strings are full bottle fills through a Beta Master Chrony.) I was getting an SD of 2.12 with my old Pulsar .25. I gotta say, I'm disappointed with the SD I'm getting with my Impact .30. When it was new, I was getting an SD of 5.26. I had the regulator rebuilt and then ran another shot string. Then I got an SD of 6.89. I just ran another shot string after breaking in the reg, and now the SD is a whopping 8.33! This is wholly unacceptable for a high-end regulated air rifle. Quite honestly, it is beyond me how FX takes top banana at Extreme Benchrest almost every year with such a high SD. I find it hard to believe that the Smooth Twist barrel trumps the uber-low SD of the electronic reg of the Pulsar.