Daystate LC-110 FAIL

Hey Cootertwo, sorry to hear about your LC110 problems. I know this isn't your first compressor, also read about your other compressor problems and the money spent on them. My question is, isn't the LC110 still under warranty? I know you stated you haven't heard back from AOA as of yet, but if it's under warranty, you may be better off waiting to hear back from them and let them take care of it. You never know, you may even be able to get your money back. Just a thought. It could be an expensive mistake to hook up another motor to your LC110 to get it working. You never know, your new motor may break something else on that compressor. Well, whatever happens, keep us up to date on it. Good luck.

Well, I'm old, and have my own opinions, but warranty on a compressor is sorta "iffy". First of all, the shipping is ridiculous. I emailed AOA, with my order number and date, and asked if the motor could be exchanged, instead of having to ship the whole compressor. Being the season, I'm patient. Besides, the new motor I got is 220 volt, and appears to be of a much higher quality than the original motor. And I got this new motor for $99

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005XRO6SC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

At least it makes you a better human. WITH ADDED STRESS AND GRIEF...

$500 FOR THE COLTRI MCH6 WOULDA SAVED ALL THIS GRIEF.

But HEY WHAT DO I KNOW? 

I WOULD SEND IT BACK FOR REFUND THEN NUVAIR MCH6 BE DONE ALREADY NOT WORTH WONDERING WHENS THE NEXT TIME ITS GONNA FAIL? PERHAPS RIGHT AFTER THE WARRANTYS DONE?

YOU SAID YOU BOUGHT THE COLTRI MCH6 ALREADY? THEN END UP WITH THE PROVEN PROBLEMATIC DAYSTATE LC110?

DID YOU HIDED MEMBER ME SO YOU COULDNT READ ALL OF MY WARNINGS?

The motor on my new LC110 has went up in smoke !!!!! maybe 1 hour total run time !!!! Contacted AOA, no response yet. Have a new 220 volt 1.5hp motor coming via UPS, from Amazon.
1f606.svg

So you just added additional out of pocket expense on top of its purchase price and shipping on a brand new one hour Daystate 110? 

Well, I'm old, and have my own opinions, but warranty on a compressor is sorta "iffy". First of all, the shipping is ridiculous. I emailed AOA, with my order number and date, and asked if the motor could be exchanged, instead of having to ship the whole compressor. Being the season, I'm patient. Besides, the new motor I got is 220 volt, and appears to be of a much higher quality than the original motor. And I got this new motor for $99

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005XRO6SC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That link shows a motor for $324. Title says "Single Phase" but the description also calls out a different "3 phase" motor. Make sure you get the correct one.

A real MCH6 would have been a better choice if you intended to run on 220v.

Well, the motor I received is single phase, select able voltage 110/220 and can select direction of rotation. I did lot's of searching. When I first found this motor on Amazon, it was priced at $99, which I figured was a mistake, but ordered it anyhow. It apparently was wrong, as it is now $324. I got it for the $99. It is a more conventional motor, with the centrifugal point setup for the start circuit. I have not confirmed it yet, but I suspect the motor on my Daystate LC110 is the newer type of "soft start" circuit, that uses some solid state stuff to do the switching, and I believe that is the problem. Seems as if the start circuit never cuts out. The motor will start and run, but humms and vibrates, like some kind of cycling problem, then gets hot, then blows the 15 amp breaker. With the start circuit disconnected, the motor starts and runs normal, and draws 14.5/15 amps. Weird huh? And for those that think me rather silly, I've always been the fool that starts off cheap, then climbs the ladder to the top. Live and learn. I started this hobby with a P-Rod and a hand pump. I now have thousands of dollars worth of rifles, compressors, tanks, etc. etc. At 71 years old, and health problems, I'm going to have fun while I can still enjoy it, living off social security and VA compensation.😉

...At 71 years old, and health problems, I'm going to have fun while I can still enjoy it, living off social security and VA compensation.
1f609.svg

Some might be frustrated but as long as you enjoy the experimenting and are having fun, it’s money well spent.

We as a group are quick to offer advice, even when the poster is not looking for any. It’s OK to post about what you are doing and problems you are solving. You will get lots of advice, but you can ignore it if you want to go your own path.

...At 71 years old, and health problems, I'm going to have fun while I can still enjoy it, living off social security and VA compensation.
1f609.svg

Some might be frustrated but as long as you enjoy the experimenting and are having fun, it’s money well spent.

We as a group are quick to offer advice, even when the poster is not looking for any. It’s OK to post about what you are doing and problems you are solving. You will get lots of advice, but you can ignore it if you want to go your own path.

Well said.

UPDATE !!!! So the motor failed on my LC110. Was running fine, then on one start, hummed bad, still ran, but quickly blew a 15 amp breaker. After much reading, and testing, I sorted it out to the "START" circuit. When I disconnected the "START" capacitor, the motor would start, and run, even under load, and only draw 14.5 amps. This cold morning in SW Florida, I fired it up, just to warm it up some, and when I shut it off, I heard the "CLICK" that the starter circuit centrifugal switch makes. It had NOT been making that noise after the failure. Soooo I re-connected the START capacitor, and she's back to like new. I assume the START switch was stuck closed, which was my original suspicion. So this motor does have the more standard mechanical switch for the START circuit. And once again, I'm a happy boy.😂

Reactions: dgeesaman

At the moment, I'm in the slow process of tearing the defective motor down, just to see what's what. Upon opening one end cap, I got the dreaded burnt wire smell. So it's now more or less an "autopsy" Ha! Just for giggles, I'll post some pics, if/when I find the problem. New motor waiting to mount up. Cost $99, so cheaper than shipping for warranty, and much less hassle.

😁

Do what I did. Get it repaired. Sell it for $1000 and buy an ALKIN It's inevitable stop fighting the feeling 😄

Ouch. He just paid $2,000 for it. That would be quite a hit for a brand new compressor under warranty.

Cootertwo, have you spoken with AofA? I'm sure they will either swap motors or replace this unit altogether. My original LC-110 arrived DOA because UPS damaged it in shipping by dumping the carton upside down. AofA emailed me a return shipping label and had a replacement on it's way the following day. Didn't cost me a dime. That's why I'm a customer for life.

Even multibillion dollar NASA designed products have mechanical problems once in a while.

It appears that Cootertwo has the worst luck of anyone with his compressor buys. Cooter, please don't buy and Alkin. I don't want to know that new Alkins break too. LOL.

Update !!! Tore the stock motor down. Found a set screw that holds the centrifugal weights ( what opens and closes the start circuit) to the armature, had fallen out. Reinstalled, assembled motor, and all is well. It did get a little hot from trying to run with both the start and run circuits going at the same time, but I don't think it hurt it. Pulls only 4 amp unloaded, and 11.5 - 14 full load 4500psi So, I learnt me something today!

pulley.1609270228.jpg

centrifugalweights.1609270250.jpg

setscrew.1609270263.jpg

Reactions: Str8tshooter