• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Daystate Hutsman HARD COCKING PROBLEM

A redesign of the bolt or an upgrade to a side lever would be great. When I first got my Huntsman Regal, the bolt was hard to cock but it did ease up with time. Now it's not so bad. Like oldsparky said in the above post, you have to shoulder it when pulling the bolt back. Motorhead also mentioned about cocking it close to the centerline of the bolt which I figured awhile ago works well.

Thanks to all of you for the advice.

The action is out of the stock, & I will disassemble tomorrow to take a peek

(power outages expected tonight during impressive T-Storms)

I'm using this as my bible

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/daystate-regal-teardown-guide/

It appears as if I should remove the shroud & receiver from the rest of the rifle in one piece & then remove receiver from the barrel

Not a big deal!

Just that I was not expecting that.

I'd assumed I could pull the receiver directly off the barrel once the safety had been removed

No matter

It will be a good learning experience for me.

Ed

Whatever you do, DON'T try to remove the BOLT HANDLE from the BOLT(pellet pusher-probe) itself. You may be SORRY if you do.

I suspect breech bolt cocking pin and or sleeve either worn or wobbly-loose and dragging when being cocked. 

You won't know for sure if that hammer spring is OEM unless you check it against your 25. I would FIRST take that 22 hammer spring out to inspect then thec25 to compare and swap. Lucky you have that 25 you can try swapping hammer and spring to see just by doing that fixes your problem before tearing the whole gun apart. Would be a total waste of time if the problem was this simple.

Good luck. Yo!

No never seen the older TWIN finger type cocking handles ever offered.

Sadly BSA suffers the same .... There manufacture my own TWO finger handles
1591332086_17089519605ed9ccf61c3b52.32595606.jpg
1591332009_20459246425ed9cca9254d58.23532214.jpg

No not manufacturing alternate handles ... Just addressing the issue with Daystate Regal having an issue that has a work around.

No never seen the older TWIN finger type cocking handles ever offered.

Sadly BSA suffers the same .... There manufacture my own TWO finger handles
1591332086_17089519605ed9ccf61c3b52.32595606.jpg
1591332009_20459246425ed9cca9254d58.23532214.jpg

No not manufacturing alternate handles ... Just addressing the issue with Daystate Regal having an issue that has a work around.

Interesting... Could you make a twist and pull ring? Like a key ring attached to the back of that bolt? Yo!

Hi all

I'm the new to me owner of an immaculate Daystate Huntsman Regal XL . FAC 22 caliber.

It was bought from a trustworthy forum member.

The rifle is not regulated; and according to the previous owner is in an OEM state of tune

The one chrono string so far is evidence of that, as is shot count

THE PROBLEM

The rifle is hard to cock, requiring a strong pull.

Every once in awhile it gets harder to cock

So much so that a second pull is required to get it to lock in

SOLUTION?

Where should I begin in approaching the problem?

Any and all experienced advice & suggestions appreciated

Thanks

Ed

Hello again

Here is an update

Encouraged by many of you, and warned of what not to do by some of you, I removed the scope, pulled the action from the stock; and 4 screws later had the hammer spring parts from the Regal Huntsman XL 22 cal. on my table.

This was so easy that I decided to do the same with the 25 cal. as a comparison

I did not remove the shroud, did not disassemble the probe from the bolt, & did eat my spinach laced with Geritol

Oh yeah!!

Almost forgot to mention, .................I also found the problem

In the attached photos you will see a sleeve that goes over the hammer spring on the 22.

It is not there on the 25

As I thought obsessed about this difference, it occurred to me that the spacer could be the problem as itmight not be allowing the spring to compress enough for the rifle to cock easily.

Crude measurements reinforced the idea

So, I put the 22 completely back together without the sleeve; and VOILA ("Bingo" in French) the rifle cocked smoothly & without any issues.

The chrony string without the sleeve was practically identical to the string with the sleeve.

35 shots and not a bit of difficulty.

Now, whether removing the sleeve was the correct fix; that is the question

I may send pix to Daystate to see what can be learned

That's my story, & I'm sticking to it.

Ed

1591663654_9395067195ededc265f4008.08273539.JPG
1591663655_2680184705ededc27dfaa21.43244465.JPG

Thanks for giving an update. Glad to hear its easier cocking. I am anxious to hear if that was supposed to be there.

Sparky

Good morning Sparky

Good to now you have found this interesting/helpful

Tell me please!

Which model Daystate do you own?

Also, if you have had it apart, which hammer spring components does your gun have?

Ed

The white nylon collar is there for hammer spring twang suppression. I just installed a Huma regulator in mine and thought I'd go ahead and remove the collar at the same time. I had a suspicion that's what it was for and after firing my first shot the buzz and feel of the loose hammer spring was very obvious. A couple more shots to confirm and back on it went. No twang and back to it's great shot cycle. By the way the Huma regulator seems to be working great.

jking

The white nylon collar is there for hammer spring twang suppression. I just installed a Huma regulator in mine and thought I'd go ahead and remove the collar at the same time. I had a suspicion that's what it was for and after firing my first shot the buzz and feel of the loose hammer spring was very obvious. A couple more shots to confirm and back on it went. No twang and back to it's great shot cycle. By the way the Huma regulator seems to be working great.

jking

Thanks jking

Good to know that I did not remove a crucial part.

In your opinion, is there any way the collar could interfere with cocking?

My thought was it might have been restricting full rearward travel of the bolt during cocking

If not, then perhaps simply R&R of the spring & spacer fixed the problem

I've not had a difficult time cocking the gun since reassembly.

Also

What caliber Hunstman (Regal XL?) did you install the Huma into?

Ed

Hey Ed, I quess there is a chance that the edge of the plastic collar could be making contact with a spring coil from time to time. There may be another/better material for the collar that would not be as rigid. I'd would think that if it was too long it would be giving us fits with the sear not latching onto the hammer very often. One option to test that would be to trim it down a little. 

I installed the Huma XXL in my 22cal Regal XL. I didn't have a chance to shoot a full string yet but hopefully tomorrow. I set the regulator at what I thought was going to be 160bar according to the tape on the regulator but after pressuring it up it came out to 150bar (Huma gauge) which I checked against a very good test gauge. It's shooting the 15.89gr JSB at 910-915 at that pressure. It was shooting the same pellet at 935-945 max fps at what I estimated 160 with the Daystate gauge before regulating.

Jking

Hey Ed, I quess there is a chance that the edge of the plastic collar could be making contact with a spring coil from time to time. There may be another/better material for the collar that would not be as rigid. I'd would think that if it was too long it would be giving us fits with the sear not latching onto the hammer very often. One option to test that would be to trim it down a little. 

I installed the Huma XXL in my 22cal Regal XL. I didn't have a chance to shoot a full string yet but hopefully tomorrow. I set the regulator at what I thought was going to be 160bar according to the tape on the regulator but after pressuring it up it came out to 150bar (Huma gauge) which I checked against a very good test gauge. It's shooting the 15.89gr JSB at 910-915 at that pressure. It was shooting the same pellet at 935-945 max fps at what I estimated 160 with the Daystate gauge before regulating.

Jking

Thanks for the quick reply JKing

Good idea about trimming the sleeve.

Before doing that I am going to put the sleeve back in (untrimmed) with the lengthwise slit facing down toward the seer.

I must admit not taking note of its orientation when removing it

HUMA XXL

Oh boy!

That's the large plenum version.

Very interested in learning more as you continue working with it.

I assume no mods to the hammer spring or shim, correct?

FWIW

IMO the Daystate gauge, with markings at 250-200-100-0 is much to vague

As soon as it arrives, I am installing a 0-250 gauge delineated in 20 Bar increments

Ed