• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Daystate Huntsman Regal XL Thoughts after 18 months.

Ok, so I'm bored at home with no work for a while so here goes. I rarely post anywhere online but with a cool and rainy day outside I don't have any thing else to do. So about 2 years ago I was having trouble with rats and English sparrows in my barn [ a lot of them ] so I bought a Benjamin Steel Eagle break barrel in .177. It was my first pellet gun so I knew nothing about airguns. I could not seem to shoot it accurately enough to hit anything as small as a sparrow and got very frustrated with it. The reason I can't use a rimfire 22 with birdshot is too many other houses around, plus the fact my horse does not like sudden loud noises. One day I googled something like [ whats the best pellet gun for rats ]. The result was I then spent some time on youtube watching guys with PCPs shooting those very small groups at 50 yards and decided I needed one. To make a long story short I ended up buying a Daystate Huntsman Regal XL in .22 cal from AoA and have not looked back. I could not believe the accuracy when I started shooting with it. It handles very nicely and just really fits me well. 2000+ pellets later I now have not seen any rats in the barn for a while. Still have some sparrows but not like before. Darn sparrows seem to disappear as soon as the house door opens even a crack. Also cleaned out the woodchucks from the wood pile. As this is the only PCP in 22 cal I own I cannot compare it to other brands but am totally satisfied with it. I shoot it more than any other gun I own by a long shot. The [ LDC ] it came with does a good lob as far keeping the noise low. Still only have a hand pump to fill it with and no issues there as I am physically fit enough to do that. I am very glad I spent the money and got the Daystate.

Cool story. Which version do you have? Regulated or non-regulated? I have the non-regulated version and I must say that the accuracy still surprises me at 50 yards with a 25 to 30 fps extreme spread. It's easy to fill and easy to work on, especially the non-regulated version. I had a leak in mine awhile back but it was a simple fix of changing out one o-ring.

:) Very similar story to mine. Rats in the barn. I knew I had an old break barrel in there someplace that hadn't been shot in 10-15 years . . . found it and couldn't hit the side of a barn with it (lol). Like you, I wound up on google, and subsequently felt like I was suddenly in an episode of Star Trek! ". . . these PCP things are pellet guns?!?! Holy Crap!! I gotta get me one of these!" :)

Also like you - I no longer have rats in the barn. ( visualize western cowboy movie - shooter blowing smoke off the end of his barrel ) lol! 😂 😁

I'm on my second one. The only quirk that I have is the cocking effort. You get used to it and it's really not a deal breaker as the rest of the gun makes up for it. I was hoping 2020 was the year for a sidelever. 

Jking

My first couple of times cocking it I wondered if I was doing it right. Now I dont even think about it. It is not an issue for me.

:) Very similar story to mine. Rats in the barn. I knew I had an old break barrel in there someplace that hadn't been shot in 10-15 years . . . found it and couldn't hit the side of a barn with it (lol). Like you, I wound up on google, and subsequently felt like I was suddenly in an episode of Star Trek! ". . . these PCP things are pellet guns?!?! Holy Crap!! I gotta get me one of these!" :)

Also like you - I no longer have rats in the barn. ( visualize western cowboy movie - shooter blowing smoke off the end of his barrel ) lol! 😂 😁

Yeah I had no idea there was such a thing as PCP before I did my research. I now have 2 Quackenbush airguns also, 1 50 cal. and 1 44 cal. beside my Huntsman. I am looking at a 308 from Quackenbush but we'll have to wait and see.