• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Daystate Huntsman Regal setting Altaros regulator

not sure where its leaking but all i can say is that i use to get about 50 good shots non-regulated and fps was about 875.Now it's regulated and i was informed that you might loose a couple of shot but this is out of line for me. i get between 20 and 25 shots also my ft. lbs. dropped tremendous. went from 30 ft. lbs. to 21 ft. lbs. my hammer spring is maxed out and my fps is around 800. regulator is set about 150 bar. If anyone else have or had the same problem; please inform me on it.

Well shoot 55squirrel from the PM I received I had gathered that you have a leak for sure but after going back and reading the original post maybe it's not a leak after all?? What I would do first off would be to monitor the air tube pressure and see if you're losing air. I regulated mine with a Huma so my gun's gauge reads the regulator pressure until it gets below that then it'll show the air tubes pressure. I would just top it back off to your fill pressure and let it set for a couple of days and in the mean time check it externally for leaks. What are you filling the gun to and do you trust the fill sources gauge?

Jking

So you just got it back from having a regulator installed, and now all this has started? 

Sounds to me like your reg pressure is lower than 150bar, and the hammer strike is absolutely maxed out and wasting a ton of air. 

I's it much louder than before? If so, that's your clue that it's way out of tune.

Also, check your breech seal. If it got dislodged and blown out that would explain the power loss.

Just spitballing here, the OP was very vague and we really need more details. 

thanks you guys; first off i install an Altaros regulator. it came im from factory set @ 130 bar. so after i installed it i wanted to see what the difference was. i love the consistency but like i said the speed dropped dramatic. 875 fps to 775 fps. so i took it apart and reset reg. to 150 bar. Speed went up just about 785-790. Then i turn the hammer spring in ---maxed out and now it's shooting about 805 fps. also shot count is down to about 26 then it starts dropping. before i put regulator i was getting close to 55 shots but not too consistent. anyway i filled cylinder to 3000 psi and let it sit for the day and like you said jking i poured soapy water all over-looking for leaks and not a one. thumper i think you're on to something. i am starting feel the same. as for as for the loudness ; stays about the same. Gun is pretty quiet. maybe the Altaros regulator is not as good as the Huma or the Lane. I wonder if that is a norm for it to drop that much in fps. all i know is that it is troubling me. 

This situation has me wondering if anyone in the forum can provide shot string details for their factory regulated Huntsman.

The complete picture (reg setting, hammer spring, and all the shot string data) would make a most useful comparison with the OP's results

Same info for an Alatros regulated gun would be helpful also as a true apples to apples

55squirrell

Which pellets are you shooting in the gun? (Brand, caliber, weight)

Ed

You have to look at it like this..

When you install a regulator that's set 100-130bar or so, you are basically shooting the gun as if you were right at the end of a fill before you installed the regulator. And that's where the gun is the least efficient, at the end of a fill. You have to tune the gun around this, and sometimes accept less power.

The quick way, is to set the reg to be near the sweet spot of a fill when it was unregulated. Shot count won't be great, but the power should stay the same with decent efficiency since this is where the gun was optimized in stock form. If it's not, you likely don't have enough volume in the plenum that holds the regulated air charge. It's better to have the plenum too big than too small. 

When tuning for lower pressures, you will benefit from a bigger transfer port as well.

The other big killer for efficiency with a regulator is hammer bounce which usually goes up at lower pressures. I believe your gun has the Harper Slingshot system which would make this much less of an issue. So that's good news if that's the case. 

When it's tuned efficiently, you won't see the velocity drop drastically when it comes off the reg, and there won't be a huge velocity spike either. It should taper off gradually. 

I'm not an expert, but those are some things I've picked up. The biggest thing I learned is that a regulator is NOT a drop in affair, despite whatever the seller may tell you. 

Again, just spitballing here. 

hey guys; i will try to let you know first what the gun was shooting like when i bought it. first of all i been shooting JSB 15.89 gr. pellets forever. nothing but jsb 15.89 gr. thumper from what i can understand of what you are say is i should start from scratch. which i will do. tell me if i am right. here we go; 1- take out the reg 2- fill cylinder to 3000 psi 3- shoot till my air rifle peaks out which is usually around 915 before the fps starts to drop off 4- check where the air gauge is at;at that time which is right about 2000 to 2100 psi from there set my reg to the bar which corresponds or equals to the psi. tell me if i am somewhere in the ball park thanks

hey guys; i will try to let you know first what the gun was shooting like when i bought it. first of all i been shooting JSB 15.89 gr. pellets forever. nothing but jsb 15.89 gr. thumper from what i can understand of what you are say is i should start from scratch. which i will do. tell me if i am right. here we go; 1- take out the reg 2- fill cylinder to 3000 psi 3- shoot till my air rifle peaks out which is usually around 915 before the fps starts to drop off 4- check where the air gauge is at;at that time which is right about 2000 to 2100 psi from there set my reg to the bar which corresponds or equals to the psi. tell me if i am somewhere in the ball park thanks

If you do that, your speed with the reg installed and set to that pressure should be the same. If not, something is up. 

And shoot it on down till the bottom of the fill too, and see where you're at. 

You really need a good baseline unregulated shot string to work with. 

55squirrel, first, I'm not sure how you are adjusting HST on the Huntsman. I have a Revere, and I see no easy way to do it. I have no experience with this brand of regulator. But, I know the Huma set points are notoriously inaccurate, and maybe this one is too. Disregarding the indicated set point, I would be inclined to find a combination of HST and reg setting that peaks out a bit over 900 fps, back ot down to around 880, and see how you like it.

thank you all for the info i will start tomorrow. just for info have extra parts such as dowdy seals different sizes and some o-rings if you'd like. not a whole bunch but enough to help out. let me know if you ever need any. it's on me. it's the least i can do for all the help. SilentSquirrel if you would like to see more on the Daystate huntsman regal regulated air gun check out Steve on AEAC. He's very thorough with his video's and good luck whenever you install the reg. on your air rifle.. jking it's been a while since we chatted last. nice chatting again Talk to you guys tomorrow when i get done setting up my airgun Thank you Thumper

elh0102; are you saying combining the two together the reg and hst to 900 and then come down to about 880 if so ;i can't do because right now reg is @ 150 bar and the hst is turned in all the way. and my fps is topped at about 803 fps. but when i didn't have the reg installed i was shooting from a filled air cylinder which is a 162cc and filled to 3000 psi and my fps started @ about 880 going up to about 915 fps then coming back down to about 875 fps and then really dropping because i was about on my 55th shot.. i am not sure what you are trying to say. but my top speed at this very moment with reg installed i can't go any higher as for fps.

elh0102; are you saying combining the two together the reg and hst to 900 and then come down to about 880 if so ;i can't do because right now reg is @ 150 bar and the hst is turned in all the way. and my fps is topped at about 803 fps. but when i didn't have the reg installed i was shooting from a filled air cylinder which is a 162cc and filled to 3000 psi and my fps started @ about 880 going up to about 915 fps then coming back down to about 875 fps and then really dropping because i was about on my 55th shot.. i am not sure what you are trying to say. but my top speed at this very moment with reg installed i can't go any higher as for fps.

Okay, I misunderstood your situation, sorry. Regardless of the setting, it seems apparent that you are not getting sufficient pressure from the reg. I remember reading of instances where too much HST can actually lower velocity, might be worth exploring.....probably already have. 

elh0102 i am going right now to see if that is the case. i know it's holding pressure very well because i filled the cylinder up and for about 2 days pressure stayed and then i checked for leaks. after i will try to do what Thumper recommended. nothing to lose and everything to gain. The only thing i don't care for is the pumping with my Hill hand pump. get's to be a little tough at my age.