Tuning Daystate Delta Wolf .22 HP please educate me

Hi
I am not into electric airguns at all.

But a friend purchased a brand new Delta Wolf .22 HP.

It was not shooting well and he brought it to me to tune it to shoot good.

As a new to electronic guns, I studied various forums, Daystate's videos and thus learned how to select various factory settings and how to manually tune it and adjusting mechanical regulator, voltage and the pulse through its electronic system.

Based on all this acquired information and based on my experience of mechanical guns, I started tuning it with .22 jsb redesigned 25 grain pellets at around 950fps.

At 50 yards it was not shooting well. Then I entered into manual settings and gradually started tuning the gun and finally the gun started showing it potential. It was getting dark and I was reasonably satisfied what I had achieved so far.

But the very next day when I started from the same setting, the gun did not perform as good as I had left it last evening.

Again did tuning to achieve accuracy. Later also tried 18 grain jsb at various settings. But the gun didn't shot well and if it shot well one time it didn't do same the next time.

I understand that the barrel of the gun is held with just one screw which is not enough. There should have been a barrel holder type part at the front from where barrel comes out of action.
Just like FX Impact M3.

Further the chrony inside the shroud also takes my attention as a suspected problematic design.

It can create problem to barrel harmonics.

The gun is not showing itself even at 24 yards.

Please share if any other user faced such issues.

How he got fixed these issues?

I am ready to be educated.

Bhaur

Reactions: merpo
I don’t own a DF but was thinking about it being my next purchase, I have a RW I have found out the temperature can change the performance I would tune it one day 75° and then the next day I would be 60° the speed would drop 20 FPS
There is a difference between Red Wolf and DF. DF barrel is held with only one grub screw

It’s not the grub screw
For starts turn your speed down to about 880 fps which is ideal for Diablos - slugs do better at 910 fps and up
Also make sure to put a business card gap between barrel seating against action but maintain chrono connection - this avoids temp shifts. If it is a new gun under warranty send it home - newest versions have an ultra valve and new tables/firmware updates. Mine is a laser beam in .22 and .177

Right now I just removed shroud and chrony. Now its only the barrel, nothing on it.

I went out and took a few shots and found that the behaviour of groups has greatly improved and they shrinked.

Now I plan to re check its behaviour tomorrow without changing any settings.

If it behaves fine then I can conclude that shroud and chrony are the culprits.

In such case I shall take the route of making a good muzzle break and then install the shroud and chrony to see if it helps.

Bhaur

Reactions: merpo
Did you try cleaning the barrel ?
Cleaning the barrel has already been done while trying to shoot it well out of the box form.

Then cleaned barrel at various intervals.

But removing the shroud and chrony helped.

I might make a barrel holder too like FX Impact.

Let's see it tomorrow if it gives same accuracy or not.

Cleaning the barrel has already been done while trying to shoot it well out of the box form.

Then cleaned barrel at various intervals.

But removing the shroud and chrony helped.

I might make a barrel holder too like FX Impact.

Let's see it tomorrow if it gives same accuracy or not.
did you clean the chrono? erratic input equals erratic output.

Don't even try slugs. You might get a few to somewhat group out to 50 yards but then they go nuts. The barrel on these are too slow of a twist and will not stabilize them. Pellets only.
Daystate is supposedly developing slug barrels, so it's pellets only for now (at least for .22).
Does it have the new updated valve and software?
I do not like the factory/auto mode at all. It's good to see if a pellet will work well or not around a certain velocity, but it is not as consistent as a locked in advanced mode "tune".
They come with some advanced mode tunes built in for specific pellets. For example the "2225" tune is for JSB Monster Redesigns. I used those as a baseline to build my own tunes off of.
The "2218" tune was a little hot, around 950fps and could hear that it was wasting air. I eased down the voltage and hammer/dwell until I found my sweet spot.
Mine is shooting JSB 18.13's like a laser beam at 930 fps. Standard deviation is only 1.62 fps.

Here is the "tune" that is slam dunk for 18's on mine:
Alpha Wolf Safari .22 JSB 18.13g
Reg 90bar.
Hammer/dwell: 2200
Voltage: 63

Well over 100 shots per fill.

Keep that barrel clean. I have to clean mine every 200-300 shots or it opens up.

Don't even try slugs. You might get a few to somewhat group out to 50 yards but then they go nuts. The barrel on these are too slow of a twist and will not stabilize them. Pellets only.
Daystate is supposedly developing slug barrels, so it's pellets only for now (at least for .22).
Does it have the new updated valve and software?
I do not like the factory/auto mode at all. It's good to see if a pellet will work well or not around a certain velocity, but it is not as consistent as a locked in advanced mode "tune".
They come with some advanced mode tunes built in for specific pellets. For example the "2225" tune is for JSB Monster Redesigns. I used those as a baseline to build my own tunes off of.
The "2218" tune was a little hot, around 950fps and could hear that it was wasting air. I eased down the voltage and hammer/dwell until I found my sweet spot.
Mine is shooting JSB 18.13's like a laser beam at 930 fps. Standard deviation is only 1.62 fps.

Here is the "tune" that is slam dunk for 18's on mine:
Alpha Wolf Safari .22 JSB 18.13g
Reg 90bar.
Hammer/dwell: 2200
Voltage: 63

Well over 100 shots per fill.

Keep that barrel clean. I have to clean mine every 200-300 shots or it opens up.
So kind of you.

If you could also guide me about your tunes for jsb 25 grain redesigned, it will be great.

Bhaur

Reactions: balver
So kind of you.

If you could also guide me about your tunes for jsb 25 grain redesigned, it will be great.

Bhaur
Keep in mind, I'm running the updated valve and software.
I like the power and accuracy I getting out of the pre programed "2225" tune.
I did come up with a tamed down tune for that one as well.
Reg 135
hammer 2715
voltage 71

Last edited:
Hi
I am not into electric airguns at all.

But a friend purchased a brand new Delta Wolf .22 HP.

It was not shooting well and he brought it to me to tune it to shoot good.

As a new to electronic guns, I studied various forums, Daystate's videos and thus learned how to select various factory settings and how to manually tune it and adjusting mechanical regulator, voltage and the pulse through its electronic system.

Based on all this acquired information and based on my experience of mechanical guns, I started tuning it with .22 jsb redesigned 25 grain pellets at around 950fps.

At 50 yards it was not shooting well. Then I entered into manual settings and gradually started tuning the gun and finally the gun started showing it potential. It was getting dark and I was reasonably satisfied what I had achieved so far.

But the very next day when I started from the same setting, the gun did not perform as good as I had left it last evening.

Again did tuning to achieve accuracy. Later also tried 18 grain jsb at various settings. But the gun didn't shot well and if it shot well one time it didn't do same the next time.

I understand that the barrel of the gun is held with just one screw which is not enough. There should have been a barrel holder type part at the front from where barrel comes out of action.
Just like FX Impact M3.

Further the chrony inside the shroud also takes my attention as a suspected problematic design.

It can create problem to barrel harmonics.

The gun is not showing itself even at 24 yards.

Please share if any other user faced such issues.

How he got fixed these issues?

I am ready to be educated.

Bhaur
The thread linked below was my experience sorting out the major issues with the chrony,shroud and (in my case) barrel with the Delta wolf. Mine was from an early batch, so I don't know if the assembly under the shroud is exactly the same, but I doubt there will be major differences.

Hope it helps in some way 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: mubhaur
Today when experimenting with Advanced Mode 2218 it called for 90 bar. In Factory Mode, it recommends 145 bar. Worth noting, my has new valve and software.
When you load an Advanced Mode program is posts up the reg pressure that was manually set during the programming (if using the PC link) or the pressure the reg is set to when saved via the DW/AWs LCD screen.

I understand but the question is why 90 bar versus 145 bar?

That is definitely odd. I'm having no issues with advanced mode, but I would be happier if factory mode performed better. Those crazy reg recommendations may be the culprit. If I were going to try factory mode again, I would disregard that recommended reg pressure and go with @Centercut 's method for adjusting your rifle for factory mode. I haven't had time to do it, but his method makes more sense than any I've read.
Here is a link to his post: https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/basic-delta-alpha-wolf-tuning-concepts.1283652/post-1421150