• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Daystate Daystate chronograph cleaning question

I was thinking about cleaning/maintenance of the Delta Wolf/Alpha Wolf and was wondering if it was feasible to put something like a cut off finger from a nitrile glove over the chronograph (using the two largest O-rings to secure it) to make it easier to keep lead dust off the little windows that measure the speed. It would be easily replaceable as long as you had spare gloves around.

If the inner clear tube is intact, these SHOULD be sealed... there are orings at each end of the clear tube and orings on the outer diameter of the chrono frame. If you're seeing lead dust on the chrono board, one of these four orings is not sealing well. The clear tube can be removed for cleaning by unscrewing the brass ring on the exit end, picking out the oring, and tilting it to drop it out. I clean the inner diameter of the clear tube by using a large cleaning patch on a loop style rod to reach in an wipe it out.
Bob

Is it necessary/recommended to remove the barrel from an AW/DW in order to clean it? Or can it be cleaned in place?

On a related note, how often do you all clean your barrels? And what do you all use to clean the AW/DW barrel? Do you use pull through patches on a patch worm, nylon brush on a rod, bore snake? What kind of cleaning solution do you use (that won’t damage the clear Chrono tube)?

It's a single grub screw to remove the barrel... I don't see a good reason to not remove it. My zero is pretty much always dependable, even removing and reinstalling.
I uee a ball bearing rod with jag and patches so they're pretty tight, and Gunzilla. The lead is gone in 1 patch and most all the black in 3 or 4. The breech oring is slightly larger than the bore so you don't even have to remove it. I wipe the chrono tube after, as described above, because the cleaning process will splatter the inside of the tube. Takes 5 minutes at most.
Pull through cleaning will not remove any lead, in my experience.
How often I clean is dependent on how fast I'm pushing the projectile and how dirty they are. I generally clean every couple of hundred as I like to check for lead and I expect high accuracy all the time. I've been shooting the 20 cal 13.7s @ 810 for a while and wouldn't probably clean for many hundreds of rounds unless I put a bunch of 15.89s and slugs through it.
Bob

Reactions: Stone02 and NRPy