• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Daystate at the competitions

According to video released by Extreme Benchrest they've had some pretty good results:

Bronze
2015 Speed Silhouette
2015 Junior Speed Silhouette
2014 Field Target
2013 Field Target
2013 75y

Silver
2015 Junior Speed Silhouette
2014 Field Target Hunter
2014 Junior Speed Silhouette
2014 Junior 25m
2013 Speed Silhouette
2012 75y
2011 75y

Gold
2015 Speed Silhouette
2014 Field Target

"Termocefalo"Your example its no a good one...its not fair when in that competition was 40 FX´s vs 8 Daystate´s
Actually, you're right. Based on this I think a better question would be why do so many more people choose to compete with FX's rather than Daystates. I'm not trying to be a wise ass or start a brand bashing war, I'm actually legitimately curious if anyone would care to contribute any meaningful guesses as to why. Both brands are equally available and similarly priced. Why not a more even mix between the two brands?

All the best,
Cliff

as one of the guys that shot a Daystate Airwolf Extreme at the EBR last year, I think that there are two advantages to FX.
1. the smooth twist barrel is less effected by wind, and there was a lot of it last year.
2. at 45 FPE the time the pellet spent in the air effected my pellet more than a gun shooting at say 60+ FPE
Another I think is the expense, Daystate is expensive but you get what you pay for.
I was surprised to make the finals the way the wind was blowing, and I could watch the pellet go in every direction as it traveled down range.
I am very pleased with the performance of my Daystate and I knew that my gun was a bit under powered for the 100 meter competition considering the wind.
this is my opinion.
Mark 

Actually, most FX rifles do not come from the factory regulated. The new Impact and Wildcat are regulated and the Boss is regulated, but that's all. Even the Royale series does not come regulated from the factory. It's an upgrade. The valving on the FX guns with that floating hammer is excellent though. The extreme spread and standard deviation on their non-regulated rifles is excellent. 

"Biagio26"I think there is one more factor that sway people in to buying a FX gun over a Daystate. I think all of FX's rifles are now regulated and all of Daystare's rifles are not.
At least that's what I thought of when I bought my FX rifle. Although I like Daystate's rifles, but some of their electric guns may have had some trouble in the past.

Biagio
Now that you mention it, I think you just nailed it, for me anyway. While Chasdicapua is right, that regulators aren't standard, I've tried 3 FX's and no Daystates simply because a regulator is not even an option on the Daystates. I'd actually rather have the FX upgraded with the regulator over the Daystate with no regulator even if it means paying more for the option. Their Harper valve system seems nice and I'm sure it's better than an air gun that has no regulation at all, but I don't think there is anyone making the argument that it is as effective as a fully regulated gun. In retrospect it seems like such a big miss for what appear to be otherwise awesome airguns. If they regulated the Wolverine and had a side lever rather than a bolt, I'd be all over one in a second. They sure are gorgeous guns and it seems their build quality is second to none. If only........

Come to think of it, Air Arms don't regulate their guns either. Beautiful with great build quality and no regulator seems to be a British theme of sorts. I sold the S510 I had mainly for the fact that the shot curve was so steep and made longer range shooting that much more complicated. Maybe it has something to do with their target audience being 12ft pound customers across the pond?

Regards,
Cliff

Yes, and BSA doesn't put regs in most of their rifles. There's a brisk after-market in the UK, retro-fitting regs to BSAs and AAs.

But at least Air Arms now has a regulator option for the Galahad. They tend to 'evolve' their models, so I wouldn't be surprised to see regs appearing in some other parts of their range soon.

Cliff, have you considered entering your 'attack-goat' for the EB this year? Would he stand steady on a bench? Does he favor FX over DS? Is he house-trained?

Edit: My Map Compensated (MCT) Airwolf 40 is at least as consistent as my regulated (sub 12) Wildcat.

Reactions: Cliff_Allen
It all depends on the class/rules. Look at the Field Target 2 Steyr / 4 Daystate / 0 FX and Hunter classes 5 Daystate and 2 FX.

I also think it would have been interesting to see what would have happened if the 200 yard guys got to compete in the 100 yard. My bet would be FX would not have 2 guns in the top 3.

It's all about how you set the rules as to how the results come out.

"american extreme benchrest" is a one of a kind event that does not follow standard BR rules ( in some classes you could shoot standard rules but it's not sanctioned BR) which makes it something totally different to look at. If you want to see who/what is winning in "competition " look at sanctioned events, BR, FT, 10m as the "american extreme benchrest" once a year event is much more of a fun shoot/promotional event than any standard competition which might draw slightly different gear and shooters.

John

Even though Daystate rifles do not come from the factory with a regulator they still do extremely well. Azuaro installed a regulator in his .177 Daystate Regal & according to the chrono testing he did before and after the regulator install the difference was negligible. 

For what it's worth:
On my end I use my .22 Daystate Huntsman XL for plinking and hunting (pest control). I get over 90 shots out of a full tank and I have taken starlings out at 80+ yds on my 90th shot.