• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Daystate 303 Hilite - slight moderator contact with carbon bottle

I just finally got my new 303 fired up this weekend to dial in the scope and it shoots all over he map with the moderator installed. I couldn't help but notice that there was (what seemed to be minor) interference between the carbon bottle and the moderator. At several points along the top of the carbon bottle it is just barely kissing the bottom of the moderator.

After removing the moderator this 303 shoots .75 inch groups at 50 yards all day long. I'm hoping that I can just return the carbon bottle and not have to remove the scope for shipping the entire rifle...

Has anyone else had issues with carbon bottle dimensions being significantly out of spec? I can't believe that there are any machining issues with the gun itself. All of the online images that I've seen show at least 1/8th inch of clearance between a bottle and moderator. The bottle axis and barrel axis look perfectly parallel but there just isn't enough clearance along the top of the bottle.

Here is a link to some pics detailing the issue and my latest email to CTI...
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B2hIrwEZc0v6TGJTVnJ4SlJvNUk&usp=sharing

Latest email to CTI:
"See attached pics. Removing the stock improved the bottle interference issue from 3-points of contact down to a single point of contact. However the single point of contact is still putting load into the moderator/barrel. The moderator and barrel must float freely to have any standard of accuracy. The stock to bottle contact is an easy fix with a little sandpaper on the stock. Being a mechanical design engineer I can't accept a carbon bottle that has been modified in any way. Can you please forward these pics to AoA and see if they will simply exchange this bottle for me? My scope is meticulously mounted and dialed in and I really don't want to remove it. It should be pretty straight forward for AoA to justify a bottle change with Daystate because this bottle has to be well outside of dimensional build tolerances."

"CTI" ? Ctico .com ? WOW haven't even heard of them in years, pick a dealer any dealer and deal with them, just an after thought. It would seem you may be past your "15 day in new condition" warranty from , ummmm, CTI. 
How did you find them? RUN run , well. Hopefully even though purchased through a drop shipping warehouse ( but likely was shipped directly from Aoa, right? it carries the normal daystate warranty.

If you are not happy do call aoa and personally "I" would do so asap. As AoA apparently chooses to do business with these folks I would hope you do have the full daystate warranty and that is fulfilled through the Importer not the ctico.

Have you drained all air and made certain the bottle is screwed all the way in? Maybe it still has another 1/16th of a turn left and will then clear?

"this bottle has to be well outside of dimensional build tolerances" how did you get/discover the "dimensional build tolerances" ? As we would all like to know them.
And if you want to
use that argument ( stick with , "it hit's the shroud" MUCH easier to prove than saying the bottle is defective which may or may not be the case) as it seems the pressure of the stock pushing against it , was, a problem and , almost, cured this problem do you think there is any chance the threads for the bottle are not flawless? Breech/barrel/other alignment is NOT a possibility? Wouldn't you hate to get a new bottle then find that is not the issue? 

Too late for you but for any new person that might come along it is generally best to purchase from a stocking dealer who has actually touched an airgun, supports the air community , wants you happy, ... ... .

cti warranty page
"Our return policy is 30 days for dog training equipment, 15 days for general merchandise& 10 days for rifle scopes, spotting scopes & night vision optics.Merchandise may be returned within 15 days for a refund of the purchase price minus shipping& handling charges, (including the shipping cost of free shipping items) to the sending warehouse only, providing the item(s) are in their original packaging & are in re-saleable condition. An RA number must be obtained by calling or emailing CTI. Return items must be shipped back by UPS or Fed Ex with the tracking number emailed to CTI. There will be a 15% re-stocking fee for all HiLux/Leatherwood scopes returned. Unless defective, all sales are final on paintball markers, automatic knives & crossbows. Refer to the manufacturer for service after the sale.If you have any questions or concerns, you may contact us at:"

Ugh.

John

The drop shipper thing doesn't worry me that much. CTI is communicating appropriately so far. Yes it was drop shipped from AoA and I'm confident that they will take care of the bottle issue. I just don't want to ship the entire gun back. Yes a new bottle could have the same issue or even worsen the same condition, but it is worth a shot before returning the gun. The pics are pretty telling.

I work in design and development and composite components (like this bottle) tend to be more difficult to maintain tight production tolerances on. I'm assuming that Daystate has validated component specifications with appropriate tolerance margins built into each 
component, such that they still provide adequate clearance when assembled together, even with a worst case dimensional stackup. but I could be wrong.

The bottle is on tight and it's axis is parallel with the barrel axis. This gun shoots great without the moderator installed, so my current assessment is that Daystate needs to put better controls on the outer dimensions of their carbon bottles. Come to think of it, given how light weight the carbon bottle is why don't they offer a 650cc bottle that is longer with a bit smaller OD...