DAVV compressor froze up !!!!

Hi all, I bought this compressor off Amazon, 14 months ago, and has had very few hours on it. Turned it on, to top off a tank to 4000psi, which is where the electric cutoff is set. Went out a few minutes later, and it had shut off, but the pressure was only 3500psi. I tried to turn it back on but nothing. Found the circuit breaker had been tripped. Re-set breaker, and tried to turn on, but just a hummmm. Locked up! Managed by turning the blade back and forth, to get it loosened up. Turned it on, and it ran for a brief second, and came to a REAL squeeching halt. Now it's locked up solid. I have the Colibri oil in it, full to the mark, very clean, no smell. VERY upset with this, "to me" high dollar compressor. Any suggestions?

Also note the link to Amazon, now goes to a totally different compressor, and they no longer list this one I bought, on their site. Very strange..... I guess when I feel like it, I'll start loosening each cylinder (4), one at a time, to see if I can determine which one might be locked up.

HPDAVV 300bar High Pressure Air Compressor PCP Paintball,Paintball Compressor 4500 psi,Faster Inflation,110V 60Hz,English Operation Manual(110V 60Hz)

Sold by: HPDAVV

$2,199.00

This morning, I was able to get it to move a little, back and forth, using the fan blades as handles, and it's actually making a scraping noise, like one cylinder is bone dry. I'll start the disassembly later today. I have a kit I ordered for it, to have as a just in case, so I guess this is just in case time. We'll see. Doesn't sound good though.😂

Yup, looks like the one in the pic above. 4 cylinder "radial" I thought it a neat design. Maybe I was wrong. Just went out and laid it on it's side, hoping to move some oil around to where it needs to be. Later, I'll flip it on the other side. Would at least like to have it free turning, to disassemble. From the diagrams I have, the high side piston, (just a rod), has no rings. Looks like just grooves for oil. ??? We'll see. In the middle of a motorcycle project at the moment.🚴

HOPE you didn't try to fire it up while the line was still connected with back pressure that would most definitely kill any compressor (well maybe not an Alkin though).

Perhaps relocate it to a dedicated fuse box with nothong else connected.

If it's still no go then Try to tighten everything mechanical up.

Cooter, exactly as Odoyle’s first sentence, I hope you didn’t try and turn it on with 3500 psi built up on your compressor. That is surely the death of these types of compressors. That’s the one thing I miss from my Hatsan lightning, was it has a built in safety to prevent one from doing that. 

And yes, Odoyle, the Alkin can easily do that, but still not a good practice to do so.

It is false economy to buy off brand Chinese compressors. Add up the cost of two Yong Hengs, a Kaliette, and the DAVV and it would pay for a new Bauer. A new Alkin would leave a grand in your pocket. The Kaliette was Mrodair's import knock off of the Alpha Carette. Mrodair is out of business, No one is importing Kaliette's, yet Alpha Carette is still a competitive brand. The DAVV at $2199 is a Chinese clone of the Coltri MCH-6. A genuine Coltri MCH-6 costs $2500 at Nuvair in California, or $2175 plus $189 shipping from DiveInn in Spain. All 4 of Cootertwo's compressors are made in China.

Buy once, cry once.

Cootertwo, have you contacted DAVV? They are supposed to provide support for their compressors in the U.S. Good luck, I hope it's a simple repair.

I agree completely. I just emailed my friend, and told him, I had enough money spent in these 4 compressors, that I could have bought a REAL dive compressor. It's a fault I seem to have. Start cheap, and slowly work my way up. One of my Yung Hengs is still in the box unopened, bought as a spare. Live and learn, the hard way.😂

I started with two Vevor compressors (similar to Yong Heng).

I could see working up from the Yong Heng to maybe a Carrette. And if that did not suit you, the next step could have been a real Coltri MCH6 as they are only about 10-15% more $ than the DAVV.

Documentation/quality/support/parts_availability is good for the Coltri, but maybe not so much for the DAVV.

The Coltri is probably the minimum for a "REAL" dive compressor. Next up from there might be the Alkin, and then a Bauer.

Tinker a lil bit with it today. Got the shroud off, and by hand, turning the blade, I got it to where I can turn it one complete revolution, either way. BUT, it's very stiff most of the way, and then has a sweet spot, where it almost feels like a cylinder that has water in it. Weird. Always been inside, and I do purge every 15 or 20 minutes. Tomorrow, I'll start taking off all the lines, and will no doubt make more discoveries. 71 year old kid, taking apart a watch! Ha!😴