Dare I Dip My Toe into the Water Once Again!

bowzette

Mar 11, 2024
This is the .117 vs .22 question frequently asked. But I am only interested in the distinction for shooting a springer (15-17 fpe) at a known distance of 50 yards with wind generally around 10 mph with reasonable wind shelter. I don't hunt or shoot FT competition. So the the "mortar" trajectory of the .22 I don't think is an issue? Under these conditions I don't see a holdover problem. Just dial in the scope for 50 yards. The .177 is faster and flatter, but much lighter. The .22 will be in the wind longer but carrying more weight and perhaps more terminal energy. Under these conditions would the .22 be a better choice for bucking the wind, or would the .177 flatter, faster shooting pellet in the heavier .177 be better in the wind? I'm just killing evil paper from the bench for my own amazement.

Reactions: Houli and Sqwirl57
I don’t have a problem using a 15ftlb .22 springer for field target.

At 50 yards the drop isn’t that much, and if you are just shooting targets like you stated the “BIG” drop isn’t an issue.

I would buy a .22, hands down no questions asked. Shoot a 14-18 grain pellet, it will be much better in the wind than .177, and it will be more capable if you do one day decide to hunt.

Throw a .20 cal into the mix.

Screenshot_20240407_161904_Strelok Pro.jpg

Screenshot_20240407_161918_Strelok Pro.jpg

Screenshot_20240407_161849_Strelok Pro.jpg

20240326_134440.jpg

But what did the Campbells every do to me to deserve such abuse:rolleyes:
Campbell’s soup is one of the best lunches on the planet! A sandwich and a can of soup makes a great lunch! The can is a bonus for eating a frugal and healthy lunch.

They make great targets. Hang them with para cord and they always come back to zero.

Poke a hole in the can for the para cord. Tie a a surgeon’s knot in the para cord, easy to undo and makes a huge knot.

Hang them horizontally and vertically for different target aspects.

They get more and more challenging as they deteriorate from shots.

Try and shoot them in half, that is the most challenging and puts lame paper to shame.

Give them a try, they are a hoot to shoot!

Reactions: bowzette