DAR Gen II in .177 Help please.

I have a DAR Gen II in .177. I love this gun once I got the lead deposit stuck in the barrel out it is one heck of a shooter. Better yet it loves CPHP's. Today I saw my first ground rat and grabbed the DAR. Loaded a mag then dispatched of the critter. Seeing that I was a bit low on air I decided to top it off. Well now I had to load up three more mags and have some fun when I noticed the gauge was going down fast. So I figured I would use the compressor. Well I lost all the air. Air is going down the barrel instead of staying in the tube. I did not have the gun cocked. I can not get it to take air so I think a value is stuck or something.

Does anyone know what could of happened or even a link to how the gun is put together so I know how to take it apart to fine out what is wrong. I target shoot my other air rifles in 22s but this is the one I use for the ground rats and well the season is here. Any help would be great. Thanks Outer.

Key topic gun will not accept air leaking from barrel.
DAR Will not hold air.

Classic symptom of a cracked poppet, or sometimes called the valve stem. The one on my Gen 1 broke like the picture you see here:

At the time all I had was a drill press, a piece of Delrin, and a can-do attitude. A few entries below the post above you’ll find a step-by-step of how I made the replacement. It’s still holding up years later.

Last edited:
I don’t recall seeing a pictorial but fortunately it’s one of the easier PCPs to disassemble. The whole air tube assembly detaches from the receiver after you remove the stock retainer nut and one grub screw. From there you’re holding in your hand the tube with the valve stem poking out the end. Unscrew the end with the stem exposed and you’re there.

Presumably the tube is already evacuated of pressure since the poppet is leaking. Otherwise it needs to be degassed first.

Last edited:
Well thats a bummer. Everything looks fine. Think I will drill a hole in a piece of wood and get some sand paper. What could it hurt at this point.

signal-2023-04-25-183549.jpeg

signal-2023-04-25-183605.jpeg

Last edited:
Agreed, possibly a bit of debris was trapped on the poppet face. Clean it and inspect it with the aid of magnification to be sure it isn't scratched or dented, or perhaps even has a metal shaving embedded in it. Have a good look at the mating face down inside the valve as well for good measure.

Cock it before attempting to refill so the hammer spring isn't holding the valve open. Or better still, just air up the tube assembly before reattaching it to the gun.

Nevermind, I was posting at the same time.

You said hammer spring. I think you mean valve spring...the conical spring in your photo. Unfortunately I'm not getting any new ideas from the description of the poppet locking up tight or not seating but I'll keep an eye out if you have other questions.

Last edited:
If I put the poppet back in and blow on it air passes. If I remove what I am calling the hammer spring from the back side and blow on the poppet value no air passes. As soon as I push the spring from the adjustable hammer air flows bye. I do not think it is the poppet. I think its the part that hits the poppet. Now I need to figure out how to get that apart and look. My favorite gun is quickly becoming my least favorite. LOL

signal-2023-04-25-192500.jpeg

signal-2023-04-25-192453.jpeg

This post was just in time. My DAR gen 2 started leaking a few days ago. From the fill port. After it bled down, it wouldn’t take on air. I called DAR or AIM sports, and was told since it is obsolete now, there are very few parts. I totally dissembled the rifle. My only question is how far do you screw the poppet spring retainer in? If it’s too tight the poppet will open only with a hard smack from the hammer. Plus with the poppet being the weakest link in the system, I don’t want it have it too tight. It may break the plastic poppet if the spring tension. So I’m asking, how ,without placing too much preload on the spring many turns in does it go in. The poppet is of a plastic material and has shattered ,probably for too thigh spring tension to keep it seated. Any help will be appreciated. That’s guys.

This post was just in time. My DAR gen 2 started leaking a few days ago. From the fill port. After it bled down, it wouldn’t take on air. I called DAR or AIM sports, and was told since it is obsolete now, there are very few parts. I totally dissembled the rifle. My only question is how far do you screw the poppet spring retainer in? If it’s too tight the poppet will open only with a hard smack from the hammer. Plus with the poppet being the weakest link in the system, I don’t want it have it too tight. It may break the plastic poppet if the spring tension. So I’m asking, how ,without placing too much preload on the spring many turns in does it go in. The poppet is of a plastic material and has shattered ,probably for too thigh spring tension to keep it seated. Any help will be appreciated. That’s guys.
That's is out right sad, I to own a DAR in 25 call that is like new. Been sitting for a couple years and the pressure has dropped off. Makes me wonder if it may have an issue.
Very little replacement parts is of a great concern. Maybe I will sell the dang thing since I never have time to shoot or hunt anymore.

The valve spring need only apply the slightest preload against the poppet. From the 3 or 4 I’ve opened up, just threading the cap flush will do that.

More or less preload will have no influence on how well it seals except when filling from zero pressure. Once the system is pressurized, the air provides vastly more force than the spring for holding the poppet closed.

What the preload _does_ influence is valve dwell…how long it stays open once the hammer has knocked it open, so that would be the reason to use more or less.

One last note, something I’ve seen with valves like this is the adjuster actually working its way inward over time. Completely counterintuitive because the spring is pushing against it so you would think it would back out, if anything. But it won’t, it will work itself inward. And if the threading allows sufficient travel, at some point the hammer may drive the spring to coil bind and destroy the poppet by driving the stem through it. So my advice is to clean the threads well and apply a little purple or blue threadlocker to keep the adjuster from moving.

Yes I actually call AIM sports. Finally got a guy that worked on them..Gene’s. He tried to talk me through what “MIGHT BE” the problem. He thought maybe seals.. So I took it apart and the seals were fine.. Assembled it..Still leaking.. So I took the valve assembly apart. Took the poppet out and cleaned it..It wasn’t dirty. So I put it all back together and presto, it seals again. No leaks. He did say one thing that was good. He said that sometimes the plate or poppet spring plate in the front of the gun may slightly move,and that in turn will un seat the poppet.That guys,and girls..lol. Was the issue.I don’t remember dropping the rifle.But maybe it became slightly askew in transporting the rifle. Wow that was long…Sorry for that.. But he couldn’t tell me how many turns to put it back in. To apply proper pressure to the poppet. I think it’s too tight. But it’s still a lazer to shoot. The poppet is a plastic type material. So I don’t want to apply to much pressure as I fear the valve will slam shut too hard and lead to the breakage of it.

Just know parts are scarce for Gen 2’s.They are concentrating on Gene’s..I send an email to inquire about parts, but got no reply… Go figure..Thanks for your time and attention folks…😁

Not sure this will help but when I re-installed mine I seated the poppet spring cap if you want to call it. The one with the holes in it to just under flush. This is in and around where it was when I took it apart. I am glad you figured ours out as well. They are great guns for what they are. We are finding in all industries these days a lack of customer service like the world is used to. This is due to the instant gratification of the new gens way of buying. CLICK CLICK CLICK return. Sadly most products are now sent out on the world for the customer to find the flaws and normally are rushed to market as the next hottest thing. We got a chance to see this with a very similar type gun that just came to market. One could even say its a gen 4.

Do you have too much hammer spring preload? You say you were shooting for awhile and then air started coming out. Sounds like you shot the pressure in the air tube down to a level where the hammer spring could push the valve open and let air out in the resting position. It would mean you have to cock the gun to fill it back up with air as the hammer and spring are holding the valve open when in the uncocked position.