• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

DAR Gen II .22 Leak

After finally getting the fill probe to fit and then sighting the rifle in for approximately 40 rounds, I refilled the air again to just below the recommended limit. When picking up the rifle the next morning to see about sighing in a scope that I just reset to factory zero, I noticed that there was NO air in the reservoir. When attempting to pump it back up again, I heard air hissing out of the muzzle end somewhere, and when I put my finger over the fill area and the barrel, it was coming out of the barrel.

Nothing unusual has been done - such as dry-firing, dropping, over-filling, etc. As seems to be usual to date, attempts at contacting DAR by e-mail or phone have been ignored. Seems like the DAR rifles are pieces of junk if they only last for 40 or so rounds before blowing out seals or other possible malfunction(s).

Hopefully I can eventually get someone at DAR to respond so I can possibly get a refund and purchase a rifle that will fire more than 40 rounds before malfunctioning. In the mean time, is there any other hand pump friendly PCP under $350 that is more reliable than DAR?

I have a .177 and a .25 DAR (the .25 I bought used as it was a leaker and the owner just wanted out of it) and both have been nothing but good for me.

It was leaking from the reg vent hole so I replaced the o-rings on the outside body of the regulator and that sealed it right up.

Keep trying to get ahold of DAR. They are a small outfit and like many of us that are actually working right now they are crazy busy.

The guns are very simple to work on if you have any mechanical abilities at all and have a basic understanding of how a regulated pcp works.

Yours sounds like a Poppet issue. Might have gotten a piece of debris stuck between the two faces.

Might check over on GTA forum. There are quite a few threads on the DAR and quite a few guys have them.

This is supposedly a brand new rifle from DAR (which may have been a return from someone else as it came with some bluing and lettering rubbed off) as opposed to a used one. Once I got my open reflex sight centered, the rifle seemed to be pretty accurate, but that does no good if it will not hold any pressure to shoot anything.

My knowledge of PCPs is minimal as up to this time I have shot mostly break-barrels. I got the DAR based on feedback from this site as I was considering a Stoeger XM1 or a Umarex Gauntlet before considering the DAR (I had never heard of DAR before this site). No one knew much about the Stoeger, and a few recommended against the Umarex due to quality control issues.

Don't know much about rebuilding an air rifle and don't know what kind of debris may have gotten lodged as it has not been in a place prone to debris. I am pretty disappointed that a supposedly new air rifle only lasted for less than 50 rounds. It has already taken me quite a bit of experimentation with various O-rings to get the DAR fill probe to fit in the Air Venturi G9 hand pump. All this problems with less than a month with the rifle does not bode well for the future.

Unfortunately DAR is junk. Fortunately they are east to work on. Mine came out of the box with the bleed screw leaking. No matter what I did. I would check there. Now for your other problem. I had the same problem every time I de gassed the DAR. When you try to pump from empty there isn’t enough pressure to seal the poppet. That is why it leaks out the barrel. You need to remove the air tube. Take off the stock. Then remove barrel band. At the receiver end of the air tube on the bottom you will see three screws one being the lug that holds the stock. You have to remove all three and pop the air tube out. You will see the stem to the poppet sticking out. I used a pair of pliers on the stem. With one hand I gently moved the stem around and in and out with the pliers. With the other hand I pumped air with my pump. You can do it one handed as it doesn’t take a lot of air. Eventually you will move it around just right and it will seal up. It did this all three times the gun emptied while I was messing with sealing up that stupid bleed screw. I got super pissed at the gun and sold it at a big time loss for 200 bucks with full disclosure on it. I think the guy that bought it came to the it’s a POS conclusion too and trashed all but the barrel. Couldn’t give me another one. Only thing sweet was the packaging. Man that box was nice. 

They just finally replied by email after multiple attempts by me to send the gun back for a full refund - no replacement or offer to fix it. I had the rifle for about 30 days. I asked about a possible replacement but have received no answer. They are very hard to get a hold of - especially via email, but also by phone. I think there is only one person running DAR as whenever I phoned, they answered as Aim Sports(?). When I initially placed the order, it took a while with finally a phone call connection to confirm that everything had gone through.

Do you think it worth another try with DAR? The only other PCP that seems to have decent quality control according to feedback is the Gamo Urban; however, the specs seem to indicate it has less muzzle velocity than the others. It seems that Air Venturi and Umarex have leaking and barrel troubles too.

Is there any tutorial out there regarding O-ring replacement/rebuilds for PCPs? The break barrels I have had up through now only require some silicone oil and a barrel cleaning every once in a while, and I understand that PCPs have a far greater number of rubber/nitrile parts to potentially blow out.

My Benjamin Maximus zero issues. Best $135 on sale with free shipping spent on a very hand pump friendly 2000 pound psi max fill for a first PcP. Trigger blade upgrade and light weight moderator recommended. Still under $220 total.

My Fortitude was not as lucky. 

5 year factory warranty is a plus too for both.

A buddy has a Benjamin Discovery similar to the Maximus probably 8 to 10 years old with zero issues.

They just finally replied by email after multiple attempts by me to send the gun back for a full refund - no replacement or offer to fix it. I had the rifle for about 30 days. I asked about a possible replacement but have received no answer. They are very hard to get a hold of - especially via email, but also by phone. I think there is only one person running DAR as whenever I phoned, they answered as Aim Sports(?). When I initially placed the order, it took a while with finally a phone call connection to confirm that everything had gone throu

You have to ask for Joe when you call AIM sports. He's the DAR man. 

You mentioned the gamo urban. I have one and love it. It is super accurate. To get velocity close to 900 you have to shoot 14 gr pellets. If it were me buying a first gun knowing how great the urban is I would go on Ebay and search for BSA buccaneer. There are black stocked ones on there for 300. Basically the same gun as an urban. It has a slightly bigger air cylinder and a 4-5 inch longer barrel. With the longer barrel it will produce more power. I would guess it would push an 18 gr pellet in the mid 800's. Perfect and the BSA barrels are laser accurate 

For the money the Dar platform is hard to beat in the $300 price range. One of the best mags in the business. No matter what price, all pcp's sooner or later need maintenance and will leak. I have some nice guns and was curious. Purchased a .177 and it will hang with my cz 200. Both shoot a small cloverleaf @ 35 yds. Have mine running @ 15 fpe but you can get 20+. A new guy could get in the game with a .177, .22 and .25 cal for $1000 bucks and be happy. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.
20210527_112114_HDR.1639605946.jpg