DAR .22 hunt this morning.

I got to the area I hunt squirrels at 8 am and noticed grass high which means stalking the squirrels on rocks. After two hours I decided to set up in the shade of two oaks in the center of and area where I could shoot out to 50 yards or so One squirrel got up on a 6x6 fence post but went down before I could get a shot off (35 yards). Then I spotted a squirrel on a rock but shot was 98.6 yards lasered. I decided to try the shot from my Stoney Point tri-pod and squeezed the trigger. I actually heard the pellet hit the squirrel and the squirrel rolled off the rock limp. I was so excited that I took a picture from where I made the shot and gathered my gear to walk to the rock I hit the squirrel. No squirrel so I figured he made it down in his burrow. It was then I found an impact mark on the rock from my 15.9 Gr JSB. So either the pellet or a piece hit the squirrel as I was certain I heard the impact.

I also realized I had forgot to adjust for the wind in my face which pushed the pellet low by an inch (estimate). I looked everywhere but no squirrel. Picked up my gear and started back downhill and there was the squirrel in the grass with blood all over his head. I thought ok either a piece from the pellet had ricocheted and got the squirrel because the pellet impact was just 3/4" below squirrel (see pic with mark on rock and glove was where squirrel was. See pics below:

Squirrel was on rock beyond fence line at center of pic. Mark on rock center of pic 2nd pic. In my experience I have had 3-4 long shots with success of 96.106 etc. But this one I made a mistake not considering the wind in my face. Guess at my age I now need a "shot checklist"....lol.

IMG_0699.1622063925.JPG
IMG_0701.1622064023.JPG

IMG_0703.1622064164.JPG
IMG_0700.1622064206.JPG

IMG_0705.1622064239.JPG

I have used the JSB 15.9 GR pellets for squirrel hunting since 2009. Where I hunt prevailing winds are favorable at 5-10 mph. But I think I have discovered something with my scope reticle that threw me off. It is a Center Point Spectrum FFP 4-12-44 mm. Hash marks below centerline are spaced more than those above and I do not know what they represent. So I have to shoot some test shots on a target. Near as I could tell I was !" low and wind was in my face so I thought I mis-judged the wind, hence the ricochet.

I read years ago about tests JSB did with these pellets. And more recently a post here indicated test shots are very accurate at FPS 954-960. I am shooting them at 944 FPS.

I have used the JSB 15.9 GR pellets for squirrel hunting since 2009. Where I hunt prevailing winds are favorable at 5-10 mph. But I think I have discovered something with my scope reticle that threw me off. It is a Center Point Spectrum FFP 4-12-44 mm. Hash marks below centerline are spaced more than those above and I do not know what they represent. So I have to shoot some test shots on a target. Near as I could tell I was !" low and wind was in my face so I thought I mis-judged the wind, hence the ricochet.

I read years ago about tests JSB did with these pellets. And more recently a post here indicated test shots are very accurate at FPS 954-960. I am shooting them at 944 FPS.

Like you, I shoot 18gr JSB thru my RAW @ 950fps and @ this speed they are more accurate than I am! LOL! Recently went on a 2 day, 3 hour (1.5 hours per day) GS permission with a friend and the first day was windy and we got about 30, second with day no wind, we got about 60....they had never had any pressure and had no idea what was happening, oblivious to seeing their comrades being shot right next to them, very easy pickings from 40-100yds. The first day with wind, longer shots were much more difficult.