• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

DAR .177 owners thread

I have a Gen2 177 and its very accurate. It does really well with 10 and 13gr JSB pellets. The only thing I did was mod my spring a bit. Mine was shooting very hot out the box and with the hammer adjuster all in or backed as far out as I could get it there wasn't a lot of fps change. I shortened the spring a bit so I could tune it down a bit but will still go hot if I need it to!
By "very hot" what do you mean in fps?

My "plan" was to adjust the regulator and maybe the HS to get it to shoot at ~750fps with 10.5 CPUM.

However, since I don't like to tinker, I let it sit and only recently took it back up and decided to use mine as the long(er) range gun at ~850fps with 10.3 JSB/FX pellets.

It took more than 500 rounds to season the barrel and somewhat less for the regulator to settle, but I *think* and *hope* that it has settled in. My most recent test gave me MOA/sub MOA at 35 yards. Not perfect, but not nearly as bad as it was out of the box.

If it does not maintain that consistency, I am going to try polishing the barrel and *maybe* re-doing the crown at the muzzle. I am not afraid of the polishing, but a little bit scared of nervous about messing with the crown as I don't really have the tools to do it.

Last edited:
By "very hot" what do you mean in fps?

My "plan" was to adjust the regulator and maybe the HS to get it to shoot at ~750fps with 10.5 CPUM.

However, since I don't like to tinker, I let it sit and only recently took it back up and decided to use mine as the long(er) range gun at ~850fps with 10.3 JSB/FX pellets.

It took more than 500 rounds to season the barrel and somewhat less for the regulator to settle, but I *think* and *hope* that it has settled in. My most recent test gave me MOA/sub MOA at 35 yards. Not perfect, but not nearly as bad as it was out of the box.

If it does not maintain that consistency, I am going to try polishing the barrel and *maybe* re-doing the crown at the muzzle. I am not afraid of the polishing, but a little bit scared of nervous about messing with the crown as I don't really have the tools to do it.
Its been a long time but I could probably find some notes on it. I want to say I couldn't get a 10gr jsb below 900fps. It also sounded like it was wasting air when fired. I'll see what I can find and get back to you! BTW I have not touched the regulator, still as it came out of the box!

Its been a long time but I could probably find some notes on it. I want to say I couldn't get a 10gr jsb below 900fps. It also sounded like it was wasting air when fired. I'll see what I can find and get back to you! BTW I have not touched the regulator, still as it came out of the box!
Thanks! Sorry for the delay in replying.

My .177 DAR was starting to group much better, but the POI changed so I put it on the chrono and found that it had jumped from ~850fps to ~920fps and I haven't changed a thing.

Although ~19fpe is more than I need, precision/accuracy has always been my creed and I am very careful about the backstop in case of a miss or pass-through.

In any case, since the groups have tightened up since it jumped to 920fps (consistent for at least 20-30 shots... the most I take before pumping back up), I am not changing a thing, but will be checking it more regularly to see if it changes again.

It *seems* that the regulator IS working, but given the sudden change in fps, I am not so sure... (heavy sigh)

Last edited:
Thanks!

My .177 DAR was starting to group much better, but the POI changed so I put it on the chrono and found that it had jumped from ~850fps to ~920fps and I haven't changed a thing.

Although ~19fpe is more than I need, precision/accuracy has always been my creed and I am very careful about the backstop in case of a miss or pass-through.

In any case, since the groups have tightened up since it jumped to 920fps (consistent for at least 20-30 shots... the most I take before pumping back up), I am not changing a thing, but will be checking it more regularly to see if it changes again.

It *seems* that the regulator IS working, but given the sudden change in fps, I am not so sure... (heavy sigh)

I have taken several tree rats with the DAR (40 yards mostly) since it jumped to 920fps, but I find that I have to make follow up shots much more often. Even when the shot placement would have been a clean kill when using the Fortitude at ~750fps. Even at 40 yards, there is ALWAYS pass-through where with the Fortitude at ~750fps it usually entered and stayed there.

I have to say that it IS nice to be able to simply put the cross-hairs on the target at 40 yards instead of having to remember or estimate hold-over! (grin)

If Hades shot accurately for me I would use them, but I haven't tried them since the fps jump... so that is another thing on my list to test... again... (smile)

I have a Gen2 177 and its very accurate. It does really well with 10 and 13gr JSB pellets. The only thing I did was mod my spring a bit. Mine was shooting very hot out the box and with the hammer adjuster all in or backed as far out as I could get it there wasn't a lot of fps change. I shortened the spring a bit so I could tune it down a bit but will still go hot if I need it to!

Thanks!

When I bought my Gen2 .177 DAR, the plan was to make it work at ~750fps with the CPUMs like my Fortitude.

However, when I adjusted the HS tension trying to lower the fps to ~750fps, it became very erratic (fps) and I could never get it to settle down. So, then the plan was to adjust the regulator (void the warranty), but I never could get up the courage to take the gun apart and do that, so it simply sat for about a year without me even touching it.

Then, relatively recently my Fortitude lost accuracy and was frustrating me to no end, so I took the DAR back out and decided to simply use it as it came. I adjusted the HS back to where it was originally (adjustment flush with the end) and testing with CPUM. No go.

Bought a variety of 10+grain pellets and started testing with those. Nothing seemed to work until I got well over 500 pellets through the gun... and it may have jumped to 920fps during this period as I didn't chronograph it on a regular basis.

Anyway, at least for a while, it was grouping sub MOA with the FX/10.3 pellets.

The last test, tonight, it was not doing nearly that well. Didn't feel like pulling out the chrono, but will do that again soon.

It has potential, but consistency is everything... (heavy sigh)

Reactions: Ed24