• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*

Dampening FX Wildcat BT or Maverick hammer slam

I'm tuning my FX Maverick .22 for a 27 gr HP slug. It has a 600 mm barrel, 12 gr hammer weight, req 1 at 180 and reg 2 at 150 with a Huma pin probe.

The slug performs well almost at any speed. But I'm trying to bring it up to 980-ish FPS, which the gun is capable of. However, the hammer slamming the valve is louder than the noise of the slug leaving the barrel, which is moderated with a silencer well.

I know that lowering the spring tension is probably the way to go. But I wonder if anyone has an idea of modifying the internals to achieve noise reduction? Like using Depinger (I don't understand if the noise that I'm referring to is called a ping or if a ping is something else) that I've been reading in this forum, but I can't find an instance where it's applied to a Maverick or Wildcat BT. However, there is a discussion about installing a depinger into the plenum with some vinyl roll or a tube with two o-rings to keep it in place. unfortunately, the discussion thread does not mention whether someone did it or the result.

I'm also thinking of making an extra (carbon fibre?) shroud covering the exposed barrel housing under the picatinny rail and glue both ends to the slot housings with silicone glue. But I don't know enough about how sound attenuation works to make an intelligent judgement if it's feasible.

Please share your thoughts. I'm sure a lot of people would like their guns to be whisper quiet when their silencers had done all they can do.

Hmm. Perhaps it's the MK3 tube version which I'm not familiar with but had watched on YouTube that an aftermarket plenum can be added. I don't think we can add anymore plenum on the BT version....
I just watched a video of a Wildcat MK3 getting a 50fps boost by adding a power plenum. Reportedly all settings remained the same and the velocity increase was attributed solely to the additional plenum volume. Wonder if something similar would allow you to decrease the hammer spring tension in your Maverick while still picking up some speed?

Reactions: techna
Several ways to skin the cat.

1) Run lower regulator pressure as 18.13 suggested, provided you can still achieve your desired FPS/FPE goal.

2) Modify where the hammer strikes the valve with a peek insert.

3) Tinker with the balance valve's vent size so you can run a much lighter hammer strike, and then run a lighter spring

4) Increase the hammer throw which will allow you to run a lighter valve strike, thus allowing less preload on the spring or a lighter spring

5) Reduce the valve stem diameter, would require bushing the valve stem bore and a custom poppet, but this will allow less preload / lighter spring.

Several ways to skin the cat.

1) Run lower regulator pressure as 18.13 suggested, provided you can still achieve your desired FPS/FPE goal.

2) Modify where the hammer strikes the valve with a peek insert.

3) Tinker with the balance valve's vent size so you can run a much lighter hammer strike, and then run a lighter spring

4) Increase the hammer throw which will allow you to run a lighter valve strike, thus allowing less preload on the spring or a lighter spring

5) Reduce the valve stem diameter, would require bushing the valve stem bore and a custom poppet, but this will allow less preload / lighter spring.
Hi Stubber,

For your suggestions. I'm only capable of doing num 1, although I don't think the FPE goal can be achieved; I grasped the concept of num 2, and can only roughly imagine numbers 3-5. I'm not mechanically inclined. :)

With inserting the peek into the FX floating hammer. Has anyone done it? Any vids or pics to help me out?

Thanks.