Daisy Vl (examine evaluation and discussion)

A spring piston air rifle that is actually a firearm. The Daisy VL. 

A close up examination of the rifle and we will see if the VL will shoot a pellet with the air created by the compression chamber alone.Then will take it to the range and shoot the caseless ammo 

My first test of the gun was a 14.3 grain pellet with the skirt expanded to fit the barrel. This test was done to see if in fact the VL is actually a air gun. my conclusion is. Yes the Daisy VL is in fact a air rifle. But a week one with the pellet consistently shooting at around 130fps. Then I wanted to shoot it at paper from 12 feet to conclude my test before going to the range, where it would be tested with the intended ammo.

FPS
With 14.3 grain pellet the average was 130fps 
With the 29 grain caseless ammo the average 1196fps

A question to you. If you intentionally diesel a pellet using petroleum jelly, or another combustible substance does this make you airgun now a firearm? 
Something to think about. 

Only 19,000 of the standard ones and 5,000 of the presentation models were made in 1968 1969 the years before the Alphabet org shut them dowm., But here is the thing. The VL wasn’t just a single shot .22. It was also a spring-piston air rifle. 

The Daisy VL rifle is a single-shot spring-piston rifle cocked by an underlever. Load the cartridge in the breech — exactly where a pellet would be loaded.

And yes it can also shoot a pellet. But at a lower velocity around 130fps. So in fact it is technically also a pellet rifle. 

The VL is a caseless cartridge developed by Belgian chemical engineer Jules Van Langenhoven. Hence VL. The charge is ignited by high temperature compressed air. The kind of air that’s generated by a spring-piston air rifle. The Daisy VL is a .22-caliber underlever single shot spring-piston air rifle useing a combustible charge to obtain its maximum velocity. 

When you work the cocking lever of the V/L rifle, a cylinder and piston are forced to the rear, compressing a very heavy spring. The breech is now open and you can place a V/L round in the chamber. When the cocking lever is reseated, it brings the cylinder forward, closing the breech. The piston is held in the cocked position by a sear, ready to fire.

rapidly compressed, forced through a small hole and around a ball check valve. The rapid compression of the air causes an extreme rise in temperature. In the V/L rifle, the jet of heated air ignites the propellent attached to the projectile. 

The ball check valve instantly closes, and the full energy of the propellent is focused on pushing the projectile down the barrel. A 29-grain projectile heading to the target at 1150 feet per second.

Now pull the trigger. The sear releases and the heavy spring drives the piston forward in the cylinder. The air in the cylinder is super heated and ignites the propellant firing the gun.

https://youtu.be/VxD3EB4p61w

Professor,

As far as coolness factor, don't think any video will ever top this one. Written notes were very helpful in getting the viewer up to speed on this unusual gun. Must have been something at Daisy when the Alphabet org dropped the hammer. Wonder if they tried to sell the technology to a firearms manufacturer? Can't think of any advantage over a rimfire .22, though. Jules Langenhoven had a sharp mind, that's for sure. As always, thanks for a great look back and please keep up your important work, WM

A spring piston air rifle that is actually a firearm. The Daisy VL.

A close up examination of the rifle and we will see if the VL will shoot a pellet with the air created by the compression chamber alone.Then will take it to the range and shoot the caseless ammo

My first test of the gun was a 14.3 grain pellet with the skirt expanded to fit the barrel. This test was done to see if in fact the VL is actually a air gun. my conclusion is. Yes the Daisy VL is in fact a air rifle. But a week one with the pellet consistently shooting at around 130fps. Then I wanted to shoot it at paper from 12 feet to conclude my test before going to the range, where it would be tested with the intended ammo.

FPS
With 14.3 grain pellet the average was 130fps
With the 29 grain caseless ammo the average 1196fps

A question to you. If you intentionally diesel a pellet using petroleum jelly, or another combustible substance does this make you airgun now a firearm?
Something to think about.

Only 19,000 of the standard ones and 5,000 of the presentation models were made in 1968 1969 the years before the *** shut them dowm., But here is the thing. The VL wasn’t just a single shot .22. It was also a spring-piston air rifle.

The Daisy VL rifle is a single-shot spring-piston rifle cocked by an underlever. Load the cartridge in the breech — exactly where a pellet would be loaded.

And yes it can also shoot a pellet. But at a lower velocity around 130fps. So in fact it is technically also a pellet rifle.

The VL is a caseless cartridge developed by Belgian chemical engineer Jules Van Langenhoven. Hence VL. The charge is ignited by high temperature compressed air. The kind of air that’s generated by a spring-piston air rifle. The Daisy VL is a .22-caliber underlever single shot spring-piston air rifle useing a combustible charge to obtain its maximum velocity.

When you work the cocking lever of the V/L rifle, a cylinder and piston are forced to the rear, compressing a very heavy spring. The breech is now open and you can place a V/L round in the chamber. When the cocking lever is reseated, it brings the cylinder forward, closing the breech. The piston is held in the cocked position by a sear, ready to fire.

rapidly compressed, forced through a small hole and around a ball check valve. The rapid compression of the air causes an extreme rise in temperature. In the V/L rifle, the jet of heated air ignites the propellent attached to the projectile.

The ball check valve instantly closes, and the full energy of the propellent is focused on pushing the projectile down the barrel. A 29-grain projectile heading to the target at 1150 feet per second.

Now pull the trigger. The sear releases and the heavy spring drives the piston forward in the cylinder. The air in the cylinder is super heated and ignites the propellant firing the gun.