Daisy Daisy 880 pumps vs impact point at 10 meters

Here's how the impact point varies with number of pumps at 10 meters (what I typically shoot indoors).
These chinese wadcutters weigh about 8 grains.
My take: At this short distance, between 4 to 8 pumps, the impact point doesn’t change much.
I might try this again with heavier pellets.
IMG_7756.jpeg

Reactions: JDR and frankie
just ordered one direct from Daisy over 14 bucks for tax and shipping total bill was 58.07 cheap and i must say i need it like a hole in the head
now i'll get a March scope and be all set LOL
got a few reflex sights sitting around something to stay away from the loading port and i got a ton of R-10 7gr they are 4.49 PA was selling them for 4.00 a can

just ordered one direct from Daisy over 14 bucks for tax and shipping total bill was 58.07 cheap and i must say i need it like a hole in the head
now i'll get a March scope and be all set LOL
got a few reflex sights sitting around something to stay away from the loading port and i got a ton of R-10 7gr they are 4.49 PA was selling them for 4.00 a can
Maybe the rifles coming direct from Daisy are ”select” vs the one I got from Walmart. Let us know how it performs.

Reactions: frankie
the 880 is what it is and very inexpensive rifle, great for the first-time youth or us old timers that can still hold their arms up, in my case barely
it is a basement shooter a short range shooter
try a reflex or red dot pistol scope or diopter
i for one did not need one but this buy to try world and i wanted to try one, so i bought one

Reactions: katfisch
Congratulations on your new air rifle! Let's see some groups!

I just taped (silicone wrapped) my Daisy 880's front sight since it can wiggle side-to-side a little (and the soda straw sized barrel is stabilized inside the shroud by the sight).
My barrel fits tightly in the sight, so I don’t think it needs to be stabilized further by wrapping the barrel inside the shroud/sight (as some people have done to try to improve accuracy).
Here are the latest 10 meter group, rested, after taping. I think it might have helped!
IMG_7763.jpegIMG_7764.jpeg

yes, i saw that in a parts diagram that the front sight was the centering piece for the barrel
you should be able to shim it from the inside, i will see

the tape is not a good look
I agree the tape looks pretty bad and I’m embarrassed — I'll change it to black electrician's tape right now :)
No barrel play, I think (I tried to move the barrel in the sight/centering piece using a thin wooden dowel — no wiggle at all)
IMG_7765.jpeg
… a little better look?

Last edited:
i hate fiber optic and see there are front sights on Ebay that are not so that might be in my future
if the shroud for lack of a better word was not tapered it would be and easy fix
why like made it that way is hard to understand, maybe it was cheap to do, with no set screws of any kind it is held in place with a hope and a prayer
i will be putting my thinking cap on when i get mine and from pictures i have seen there is lots of slop between the shroud and sight piece
and the tape well i can't see it from my house i was just giving you and hard time
i would think you could drill the shroud and put a countersunk screw in on both sides tap the sight be done with it
in any case take care
mike

i hate fiber optic and see there are front sights on Ebay that are not so that might be in my future
if the shroud for lack of a better word was not tapered it would be and easy fix
why like made it that way is hard to understand, maybe it was cheap to do, with no set screws of any kind it is held in place with a hope and a prayer
i will be putting my thinking cap on when i get mine and from pictures i have seen there is lots of slop between the shroud and sight piece
and the tape well i can't see it from my house i was just giving you and hard time
i would think you could drill the shroud and put a countersunk screw in on both sides tap the sight be done with it
in any case take care
mike
I like your idea to drill and tap the shroud, but I lack the tools.
Here’s a pic of one of Leo Kottke’s guitars… duct taped! (function over form).IMG_0046.jpeg

Here's how the impact point varies with number of pumps at 10 meters (what I typically shoot indoors).
These chinese wadcutters weigh about 8 grains.
My take: At this short distance, between 4 to 8 pumps, the impact point doesn’t change much.
I might try this again with heavier pellets.
View attachment 411445
I pulled out my own 880 for some target practice a couple of days ago and noticed a difference with the lightest of the lead free pellets I'm now using exclusively. It only happened when I was shooting with higher power levels (more pumps), which typically I just don't change during target practice sessions. However, when using my usual 3 or 4 pumps, my sights were still perfect, but now that I've switched to lead-free only, I definitely get a higher impact point with more pumps, IF I'm using the lightest of my lead-free pellets (H&N Field Target Green); anything five or six pumps and above now and I'm well off target! I was stunned when I first noticed it, mainly because it was a fluke I shot with more pumps than usual in the first place, but also because it had never happened before with lead pellets, and I've tried MANY different brands, weights and types at every different pump number -- the Daisy was my oldest air rifle. How strange! Before, my 880 just didn't seem to be even close to pellet picky at thirty feet with lead pellets. Now though, with the lightest lead-free pellets, at the same distance, the aim that produced a dead-center bulls-eye with four pumps was hitting a good half to three-quarters of an inch higher every time I tried using more. It wasn't a big deal to adjust my aim, once I finally figured out it was the pellets and not my air rifle (thank goodness), but it still took me completely by surprise while I was shooting! I guess I'm lucky, all things considered, since it wasn't the rifle -- for awhile there, I was starting to feel all but sure I would have to replace it.

I'm still glad I've gone lead-free, but heck! Finding out one of the already much-too-small number of types of different lead-free pellets available was definitely a bummer, especially considering how much more expensive they were (and are) than lead alternatives. Oh well. Live and learn, I guess. :)

I pulled out my own 880 for some target practice a couple of days ago and noticed a difference with the lightest of the lead free pellets I'm now using exclusively. It only happened when I was shooting with higher power levels (more pumps), which typically I just don't change during target practice sessions. However, when using my usual 3 or 4 pumps, my sights were still perfect, but now that I've switched to lead-free only, I definitely get a higher impact point with more pumps, IF I'm using the lightest of my lead-free pellets (H&N Field Target Green); anything five or six pumps and above now and I'm well off target! I was stunned when I first noticed it, mainly because it was a fluke I shot with more pumps than usual in the first place, but also because it had never happened before with lead pellets, and I've tried MANY different brands, weights and types at every different pump number -- the Daisy was my oldest air rifle. How strange! Before, my 880 just didn't seem to be even close to pellet picky at thirty feet with lead pellets. Now though, with the lightest lead-free pellets, at the same distance, the aim that produced a dead-center bulls-eye with four pumps was hitting a good half to three-quarters of an inch higher every time I tried using more. It wasn't a big deal to adjust my aim, once I finally figured out it was the pellets and not my air rifle (thank goodness), but it still took me completely by surprise while I was shooting! I guess I'm lucky, all things considered, since it wasn't the rifle -- for awhile there, I was starting to feel all but sure I would have to replace it.

I'm still glad I've gone lead-free, but heck! Finding out one of the already much-too-small number of types of different lead-free pellets available was definitely a bummer, especially considering how much more expensive they were (and are) than lead alternatives. Oh well. Live and learn, I guess. :)
That is curious. What distance are you shooting? So are they shooting high relative to lead pellets or high relative to less pumps with the same pellet, and you didn't observe any high/low POI with lead pellets?

got my 880 today and it is not a rifle for sausage fingered men
i nightmare to load but working one it
front sight on mine is rock-solid no need to fix
pump handle clatter is a bit much and the cocking loading handle feels like it could break at any time
it is what it is

i will see it it and i can find a happy place or it will be back in the box
Congratulations on your new 880! I think the plastic is tougher than it looks.
Yeah, loading pellets takes some practice. I find tilting the rifle nose down a little helps, and sort of rolling the pellets in. Also, closing the breach part way keeps pellets from falling into (and getting stuck in) that dang BB port. Let’s see some groups!

Last edited:
That is curious. What distance are you shooting? So are they shooting high relative to lead pellets or high relative to less pumps with the same pellet, and you didn't observe any high/low POI with lead pellets?
I was shooting with my Daisy 880 from a rest at 10 yards (not meters). Before that, I'd never had an issue with the rifle using any of probably close to twenty different types, weights and brands of lead pellets; it just didn't seem to be the least bit pellet picky! I was target shooting exactly the same way I do about three to five times a week, but using lead-free pellets exclusively, as I've been doing for at least a couple of months now, with nothing unusual happening until this last session. The pellets in use were all .177 caliber lead-free, including: GTO Predator (domed), H&N Baracuda Green (domed), H&N Field Target Green (domed), and Olympia Match pellets (wadcutter). Oh, and a Crosman alloy/plastic pellet called a Penetrator or something similar (?). Very nice, actually, but they're all gone now except about forty or fifty of the .22 caliber version. All of the pellets named in .177 are mirrored in .22 caliber, except for the Olympia Match I bought to try out (.177 only so far) and those Crosman Plastic/Alloy pellets; in .22 caliber, they are a red-plastic backed/alloy pointy headed combination, instead of the gold plastic/alloy pointy .177 version. Anyway, from the products named above, my particular pellet preferences have turned out to be:

1. GTO Predator -- Best pellet overall in both .177 and .22 caliber, but to me, they're jarringly costly! Much too much for casual plinkin' and target shootin.'
2. H&N Baracuda Green -- Another fine pellet, and much more affordable. This and pellet #3 are almost a toss-up as my go-to, most affordable favorite.
3. Olympia Match .177 -- These shoot quite well, all things considered, but they're not as well made as the others. A few times (less than five out of hundreds), after 'shoving' a tighter-fitting Olympia Match pellet into the breech with the bolt of my Crosman 2100 Classic, they've actually failed to shoot with only three pumps behind them, and I've had to use my 36 inch carbon fiber cleaning rod to push 'em back out. Still about 99.9% fine, so no foul.
4. Crosman alloy/plastic 'penetrators.' -- Basically, these are roughly as accurate (or more so) as those above and they get the very best, furthest penetration into my cardboard-sheet stuffed pellet trap. Unfortunately, like #1, they're also far too costly for casual use.
5. H&N Field Target Green -- I can't really say why, but I just don't like what to me are just a shorter, even-lighter version of the H&N Baracuda Green pellets. I still have about a tin and a half of the .22 caliber and a handful of the .177 caliber pellets left over to use up, after which I'll probably not buy more.
X. I'm very anxious to try out the 'new' H&N Match lead-free pellets I just recently noticed on the Pyramyd Air website, which are the most affordable lead-free pellets available there. I'm about to order four tins in .177 to try 'em out and have pretty high hopes for them, since they're made by H&N, which in my experience typically means higher quality and excellent accuracy.

Okay... My collection is made up primarily of variable pump pneumatics, my favorite type, with the remainder one single nitro piston (I don't like it, or any other gas- or spring- piston break barrel I've ever shot) and the rest powered by CO2. In target shooting since I went lead-free, I'd never noticed anything unusual until that day. This time, I'd been shooting with my Crosman P1377 'carbine' (pistol and shoulder stock) and Benjamin 397s (two of the three .177 pumper airguns with which I get the very best accuracy using open sights (the third being my Winchester 1977XS)), using my usual three or four pumps of power, when I decided to switch over to my all-but-equally accurate and oldest air rifle, the Daisy 880.

I'd been using the Olympia Match pellets for the most part that day, but when I picked up my 880, I switched over to my least-favorite H&N Field Target Green pellets to use up, which I've used before in nearly all of my disparate .177 pumpers, with the usual three or four pumps, without noticing anything weird. For some reason I don't remember, I put about seven pumps in for my next shot and even though I didn't do anything different while aiming, I totally missed (by a good one-half to three-quarters of an inch)! That was a surprise, as I was expecting another bulls-eye. Okay, I tried again, with my usual four pumps, and as expected, I'm right on, as are the rest of the three and four pump powered shots that follow. What the $%!? I remembered I'd used more pumps when I missed, so I increased the number of pumps again, and every other same-in-all-regards-but-the-number-of-pumps-used shot produced a hit that was off by about the same distance high (and maybe just a skosh left). Up to four pumps: just fine. Five pumps and above: high every time. Too strange! I VERY carefully examined the Daisy, thinking maybe there was some defect I'd not noticed before, and I tried all my other pellets again as well, all of which were roughly equally accurate, regardless of the power behind them. Switched back to the H&N FTG pellets, and with business as usual, everything was fine, but with more power than usual, they were off high (and maybe a skosh left)!

That's it, as far as I can remember. My Daisy 880 (the all black, 5880 version shipping with the Powerline 880 Kit) has no trouble with anything else I have or have had, excepting only that one remaining tin of H&N Field Target Green pellets and then only with power levels higher than four pumps. I guess it doesn't like the light weight (it is lighter than any of the others). That's my story and I'm sticking with it. :)