Daisy Daisy 880 barrel weight test (offhand)

The Daisy 880 is a very light rifle (about 3 pounds), even with its little stock scope, and it sports a very light barrel/shroud combo. It came to my in a dream that a barrel weight might help offhand accuracy. I happen to own a cow magnet (used by dairy farmers to prevent Hardware Disease — I’m not making this up) that weighs about 4 oz. I protected the barrel shroud with a strip of electrical tape, and tried some 10 meter standing offhand shooting (R10 8.2 grain pellets) with the weight at 3 positions (forward, back, and mid-barrel).

In my hands, the barrel weight doesn’t improve my shooting at all (unfortunately). Fun to fool with, but disappointing (although the 880 is an adequate offhand shooter out of the box). See examples below (that last target without the weight was pretty bad — I blame fatigue)
IMG_7754.jpeg
IMG_7753.jpeg

The Daisy 880 is a very light rifle (about 3 pounds), even with its little stock scope, and it sports a very light barrel/shroud combo. It came to my in a dream that a barrel weight might help offhand accuracy. I happen to own a cow magnet (used by dairy farmers to prevent Hardware Disease — I’m not making this up) that weighs about 4 oz. I protected the barrel shroud with a strip of electrical tape, and tried some 10 meter standing offhand shooting (R10 8.2 grain pellets) with the weight at 3 positions (forward, back, and mid-barrel).

In my hands, the barrel weight doesn’t improve my shooting at all (unfortunately). Fun to fool with, but disappointing (although the 880 is an adequate offhand shooter out of the box). See examples below (that last target without the weight was pretty bad — I blame fatigue)View attachment 410735View attachment 410734
nice experiment , thankyou

I came across this a couple years ago, but I have no experience with it (or any barrel weight)

Reactions: katfisch