Daisy 747 suddenly trigger weight has increased and won't adjust down

Ok, in full disclosure, some of the issue is my arthritic hands, and especially trigger finger which sometimes simply does not respond to brain commands.

The trigger is supposed to adjust from 1 to 3 pounds, and mine is now at 2 1/2. Adjusting it up to 3, then back down as far as it goes still has it at 2 1/2.

Any info on how to make adjustments beyond the standard screw adjustment in the gun?

Polishing trigger, sear? New screw weight somewhere? Anything?

Thanks in advance for any help.

dennis

Be sure you are turning that trigger pull weight adjustment screw counter clockwise if you want a lighter trigger pull. Give that pistol many hard and deliberate slaps on both sides after unscrewing that trigger screw in case something's binding inside that adjustment. If that doesn't work open it up change the spring and add some shims to fix that gritty side to side play and you probably got gunk in there to clean up too due to age. If after that you can't lower it to a pound further instruction can be given however the safety may not work if you want it too light.

Hmmm interesting... no reply on status...

SO! Were you properly unscrewing it counter clockwise to lessen the trigger pull weight?
1593550237_406538025efba59dcf4267.66303929.png

Yo

Sorry, I've been out of touch since I Posted the original question.

Thanks for your response.

Yes, I was turning the screw counter clockwise to reduce trigger pull weight.

I took it apart, tapped around with a small rubber hammer, and some metal filings fell out.

That helped reduce the trigger to a consistent 2 pounds.

That's better than the 2 1/2 it was, but I was hoping to get it closer to 1 pound.

I have arthritis in my hands and have found on other guns that reducing trigger pull weight has helped a lot.

You mentioned changing the spring as possible next step.

Where would I get the spring? I was told Daisy is no longer supporting these guns.

Thanks again for you help so far.

dennis

You really don't want to do too much like a full polish sear trigger work since the metal is zinc and wears out real easy especially you say factory Daisy parts are no longer available. You can go to ACE hardware to go find replacement same size springs bring originals along with you to size them up ALL OF THEM. Buy same size diameter weaker thinner wound ones. The 2 largest diameter ones are the important ones you cut to size and bend the ends with needle nose pliers. Cleaning all of the contact area is more important for a better trigger feel.

IMPORTANT!!! Before you take out the 3 screws (Phillips IIRC) holding that gun together press it to SAFE otherwise that safety ball bearing is gonna go flying and so is the safety spring! Work in a clean area where you won't lose a tiny ball bearing and spring just in case.

Yup, been there. I was able to find it. The spring didn't go far, but that little ball rolls really well once it hits the floor. lol... Fortunately I cleaned up my work area before I started so it wasn't too difficult to find. 

The one thing I could not do is put the rear sight back in. The two halves go together easily without that sight, but I tried a couple dozen times over a couple of days and could not get it to go back together with the sight in there. It all seems to fit perfectly into either side plate. I have a red dot on the gun so I don't need the rear sight installed, but it was driving me crazy that it would not go back in. I have a friend who has taken 747's apart to replace seals for other guys so I'll ask him and see if he can get it back in. Maybe there's just a little trick I can't figure out....or more likely I'm just a klutz. 

Thanks for the tip about the springs, and the zinc metal. I will post more when I get to an Ace to check out the springs.

Try your best to find the springs. I can instruct you how to make your own springs to the size you need worst case scenario but go try to find them first. There's other hardware stores and automotive parts stores and industrial hardware supply locally you can sniff out to get them. Nothings impossible in life.