Daisy 717 Repair Questions.

Hello Airgun Nation.

I am the proud new owner of an old Daisy 717 and am seeking knowledge about resealing it. I have seen some reference to replacing the foam wiper with teflon rings. Can anybody tell me more about this modification so that I can give it a try? I am afraid I am uninformed about teflon rings, so any guidance on size or type (are there different grades or compositions) would be very helpful.

I had assumed the purpose of the foam wiper was to act as a reservoir and means of distribution for oil which lubricates the sealing o-rings and other parts of the airgun. Is this correct, and do the teflon rings perform this function?

If somebody has other recommendations about making a suitable replacement for this foam wiper, from another material, I would also welcome that suggestion.

Finally, if anybody knows the correct size o-rings used to reseal the Daisy 717, that would be very helpful information. Are people buying special o-rings to reseal the piston and bolt, or just matching the size at the hardware store? Any advice here about size or type would be welcome.

Thank you for any information you are able to share. I am excited to get this 717 up and running.

Regards,
Airman

I have no idea about your gun or using Teflon or anything like that BUT I have had great luck with JG Airguns and think you should check them out. You can get a whole seal set for like $22 here

I understand if you want to mod it but personally I've re done a Daisy 44 and Daisy 45 using parts from that site and the happiness my dad got from being able to shoot many many pellets through those on one CO2 after decades of them being leakers was worth just getting normal replacement parts from JG.

Last edited:
Reactions: beerthief
You probably saw the comments I made about using the teflon rings. I got the kit with those rings from a vendor on eBay and do not seem then listed any longer. My suggestion would be to get some thin teflon washers, with an inside diameter to fit the groove for that foam washer, and an outside diameter the same as the O-ring on the piston. then cut a diagonal on one side of the washer so they can spread enough to get into that groove on the piston. I think it took 5 or six rings on my guns, don't want to go in and look now. They fill the groove but are loose enough to hold some oil and are still holding oil after about 15 months now, so I am happy with them and I do not think there will be a chance of them flaking like that foam.

I just did a quick google search and these look a lot like the ones in the kit I used.

Thank you, EmptyTin_Tim, for your reply and the link to the parts. I ordered the valve directly from Daisy, and have a good selection of o-rings from which I am hoping to find the correct sizes when time comes. I was trying to avoid ordering the whole reseal kit just to get the foam piece. I appreciate your help though.

Reactions: EmptyTin_Tim
Thanks, jkingrph. It was your post that set me looking for more information on the teflon alternative to the foam wiper. I appreciate you taking the time to reply to this thread and offer some suggestions about how to proceed. Thanks for the information and help.
I thought I had an extra set, but looked through my airgun parts box and nothing. I puled my little electronic caliper and eased it open to 0.049" like those McMaster Carr rings and they look to be 2-3 times as thick as the ones used. You might do a google search for some.

I thought I had an extra set, but looked through my airgun parts box and nothing. I puled my little electronic caliper and eased it open to 0.049" like those McMaster Carr rings and they look to be 2-3 times as thick as the ones used. You might do a google search for some.
Thanks again for the effort to get that information for me. It gives me a better sense of what size the rings should be. (I understood your comment to mean the washers/ rings should be approximately .016"-.025" thick.) Any thoughts on using Nylon washers instead of the PTFE material you linked to? I only ask because I might be able to source the Nylon type from my local hardware store.

Thanks again for the effort to get that information for me. It gives me a better sense of what size the rings should be. (I understood your comment to mean the washers/ rings should be approximately .016"-.025" thick.) Any thoughts on using Nylon washers instead of the PTFE material you linked to? I only ask because I might be able to source the Nylon type from my local hardware store.
No idea about the nylon, since there is no high speed friction or heat involved, I would give them a try. All you want is a relatively close fit, so they can act as a somewhat gentle wiper, and space between the rings so capillary action can hold some oil and wipe it onto the inside of the cylinder to keep the O-ring lubed. There is really nothing critical with that part.ii

You might take the piston down to the hardware store to aid in seeing what will fit, Also the piston O-ring so you do not get the washers too large on the outside diameter.

No idea about the nylon, since there is no high speed friction or heat involved, I would give them a try. All you want is a relatively close fit, so they can act as a somewhat gentle wiper, and space between the rings so capillary action can hold some oil and wipe it onto the inside of the cylinder to keep the O-ring lubed. There is really nothing critical with that part.ii

You might take the piston down to the hardware store to aid in seeing what will fit, Also the piston O-ring so you do not get the washers too large on the outside diameter.
Those are all good ideas. Thanks again for answering my questions and offering suggestions.

Reactions: EmptyTin_Tim
Hello Airgun Nation.

I am the proud new owner of an old Daisy 717 and am seeking knowledge about resealing it. I have seen some reference to replacing the foam wiper with teflon rings. Can anybody tell me more about this modification so that I can give it a try? I am afraid I am uninformed about teflon rings, so any guidance on size or type (are there different grades or compositions) would be very helpful.

I had assumed the purpose of the foam wiper was to act as a reservoir and means of distribution for oil which lubricates the sealing o-rings and other parts of the airgun. Is this correct, and do the teflon rings perform this function?

If somebody has other recommendations about making a suitable replacement for this foam wiper, from another material, I would also welcome that suggestion.

Finally, if anybody knows the correct size o-rings used to reseal the Daisy 717, that would be very helpful information. Are people buying special o-rings to reseal the piston and bolt, or just matching the size at the hardware store? Any advice here about size or type would be welcome.

Thank you for any information you are able to share. I am excited to get this 717 up and running.

Regards,
Airman
if it is working now don't touch it . i did and having a heck of a time getting to seal again.

if it is working now don't touch it . i did and having a heck of a time getting to seal again.
I can appreciate the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it," mentality. Unfortunately this one is leaking.
Thank you for offering the guidance though. Let us know if you figure out how to sort yours out.

Reactions: beerthief