Daisy 415 works good on Cottonmouth's

It is raining cats and dogs where I live. Weather com is reporting STRONG storms for the next few hours. We just had a gully washer that flooded about 15-20% of the apt complex I live at in East Texas. The complex has a man made canal that runs through the middle of the complex. It's used for flood control. It's approximately 15 feet wide, 12 feet deep and maybe a furlong in length. Usually it works as its supposed to when it rains. Sometimes, like today the flow of water is too heavy for it. 

I've been living here for the past 12 years. This is the 2nd time I've seen the canal overflow and spill out to flood apartments. My apt is situated so that my backyard is on one side of the 'ditch' as we call the canal. Fortunately, my apartment is about a foot higher than the apts on the opposite side. Today's rain caused the highest flooding I've seen.

Anyway, I was standing at my backdoor oohing and aahing at the flooded apt's when something caught my eye. I looked down and saw a water moccasin: aka 'cottonmouth'; approximately 3 feet long, slithering around my tomato plant. It had evidently decided it wanted to stop swimming in the floodwater and came out of it where my apt is.

I keep my homemade Crosman 1389 and my Winchester 1977XS on the dining room table. They're handy that way for backyard pests. I grabbed my 1389, then changed my mind. Ran to the bedroom and grabbed my Daisy 415 to use instead. Ran back to the dining room. By that time the cottonmouth was slithering toward a crawlspace between my apt and the one next door. There is at least 1 foot long garden snake living in the crawlspace..It eats some of the insects that would otherwise harm my plants. 

1st shot hit the cottonmouth in the head. 1st 5 shots hit it in and around the head. Next 5 shots hit the lungs. Daisy 415 is one of the airguns I keep in my tacklebox when I'm fishing. This isn't the first time its done snake duty.

Nice!

I picked up a refurbished 415 a year or more ago and it's Really a Fun little pistol! ...And it spits bb's out at a pretty good speed. Enjoy!!

Mike

I've been using them as a back up tackle box pistol for the past several years. One of my ongoing searches is for the 'perfect' tackle box air pistol and/or air rifle to take along while fishing. ATM, I have settled on a Beeman P-17 w/ a Feyachi RDS-22 Micro Red Dot Sight - 2 MOA, Compact Red Dot Scope, 1X22mm. The dot on the scope makes a snakes head a huge target. The P-17's limiting factor though is that it is a single shot and as P-17 owners know it can be a PITA to reload. Particularly when one is excited.

So rather than reload, I pick up the Daisy 415 for any finishing shots if needed. The velocity of the 415 by the way is 475 fps and the rapid fire velocity is 462 fps. 

When I threw the snake over the fence this morning I saw that I had literally defanged it w/ approximately 3 shots through its snout. Maybe all 5 shots of the 1st rapid fire burst hit its snout, the front half of its head was pretty much gone. No brain hits as I had previously thought, but the 2nd rapid fire burst had all hit its lungs.

I really like my powerline 415 also....accurate enough at 10-15ft to control cottonmouths here in the swamp.

i have them occasionally coiled up in strike mode right under my front door step.

my 415 is hanging just inside the door. and has taken several juvies in the last couple years after heavy rains.

you gotta keep your eyes open here !!!!👀

I really like my powerline 415 also....accurate enough at 10-15ft to control cottonmouths here in the swamp.

i have them occasionally coiled up in strike mode right under my front door step.

my 415 is hanging just inside the door. and has taken several juvies in the last couple years after heavy rains.

you gotta keep your eyes open here !!!!
1f440.svg

Just inside the door is a darn good place for your 415 to hang. I too find 5 to 15 feet to be the best range. I did a thread on the 415 a few years ago at another forum. At that thread, I included 5 pics of 5 rapid fire, 20 shot groups fired at 3 inch sticky bullseye targets at 5 feet, 10 feet, 15 feet, 20 feet, and 25 feet. The groups started to come apart at 15 feet, more so at 20-25 feet. At 5 feet, and 10 feet, the groups were tight and fairly well centered. Just gotta remember to aim high at 5 feet and aim low past 15 feet. Some say the effective range of smoothbore pistol barrels is 6 yards. They're probably right..
At 5 feet 15.1620768104.jpg
At 10 feet407.1620768167.jpg
At 15 feet.1620768218.jpg
At 20 feet 34.1620768279.jpg
At 25 ft. 0155.1620768314.jpg