• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Daisy 177 Pointed pellets "Made in Spain"

DeoreDX

Apr 22, 2020
AL
Made in Spain Daisy 22 HPs have gotten a lot of good talk on the interwebs lately. Lots of talk of how great the new Spanish hollow points perform and look. I wandered through the sporting goods section of my local Wal Mart to pick up a tin of CPHP and saw they had some made in Spain 177 pointed pellets. I only recalled seeing the HP talked about for the most part and I've not seem much on these so I bought a couple of tins to try out.

First impressions were positive. They have a nice clean polished look and the mold line is much less pronounced than the Crosman PHP's that I normally shoot out of my Fortitude. I weighed a group of 10 pellets at 76.2gr for an average of 7.62gr a little short of the advertised... wait i just realized they don't advertise a weight on the packaging. I thought it was 7.8gr not now that I look I don't see a weight listed on the package. I weighed a 2nd group of 10 and got the exact same 76.2gr for 7.62gr average. At this point I had high hopes for them. Clean, looks good, no obvious deformed babies in a quick glance through the tin.

Once the shooting started it went down hill from there. Wild was an understatement. At 15 yards most of my shots could be seen curving hard to the left. out of the barrel

(Colored dot shows the point of aim)

10 shots Daily Precision Max 177 Made in Spain

Maybe my Fortitude hates pointed pellets? I admit this was the first time I've shot a pointed pellet out of the rifle. Maybe there is a hidden feeding problem that damages the pellet that only show itself with pointed pellets? I'm not a pointed pellet shooter and I've never had the best of luck with 22 cal pointed pellets in the past in my other rifles. But a ~1" group is a far cry from a pellet curving wild'y to the left like it was throw by Clayton Kershaw. I have some JBS Sranton 8.26gr pointed pellets in 177 I've never shot and they have a very similar shape and profile to the Daisy pellets so I loaded up 5 of those and got this:

JBS Straton 8.26gr

JBS with just 5 shots made a great group. The Daisy on the other hand... I've never had a pellet shoot so wildly out of any air rifle I've ever shot before except the one time I had baffle strikes in a brand new 3D printed moderator . I'm wondering if I'm getting baffle strikes which is causing curving so wildly to the left with the Daisy pellets. My current hypothesis is that the pellet must be yawing as it exits the barrel and clips a baffle sending it spiraling to the left. Not sure what else could cause an almost 2" curving miss to one side at only 15 yards.

Wondering if the pellet would be more stable at lower energies I turned my Fortitude down to 2 turns of the hammer spring and it still printed a wild pattern. I then tuned it down to 1 turn on the hammer spring, the lowest setting that it makes consistent FPS. With it tuned down to 1 turn I got 6 of the 10 through one hole but still threw 4 wild fliers.

10 shots Daily Precision Max 177 Made in Spain low power

The price is right and the pellet looks good but it's just not a shooter out of my rifle. Maybe it would shoot better out of lower energy setups? As I only own one 177 pellet shooter I guess this tin will get put in the bottom of the pile and be forever forgotten about.

Hi DeoreDX

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but daysi is from Arkansas and I think Gamo Usa is in charge of exporting it. Gamo its origin if it is Spanish. The only decent pellets that there are Spanish are the Cometa manufactured with the JSB patent

1591280524_13890280895ed9038c082333.57050004.jpg
Regards 

Enkey 

Well, I haven’t tried the pointed variety because that shape almost never performs well at distances that are useful to me, but I did try the new Made in Spain hollow points and I could have copied and pasted your post and it would have perfectly described my experience. They look nice but they don’t group worth a flip at 25 – 30 yards at any velocity, and not even from otherwise unpicky barrels like a choked LW. In contrast, the .22 hollows look pretty ho-hum but they group really well in several of my PCPs.

Over time I’ve learned that a clean appearance (and tight tolerancing) are always present in the very best grouping pellets, but seeing those characteristics in a tin of pellets unfortunately provides no assurances whatsoever that they’ll do well.

Conversely, pellets that look a bit janky usually won’t group well but on occasion you’ll find an exception. Like a lottery, those keep me spending money on pellets...in spite of the odds.

Believe it or not those 177 bargain basket priced Daisy pointed pellets actually shoot Good in some guns.

177 Crosman 7.4gr Pointed pellets in the 250 or 500 count tins are ok so are the 14.3gr 22 in the 175 count tins. The 7.4gr Pointeds also come in 1250 count milk cartons however I personally haven't tried those bulk packaged ones specifically as of yet. Your mileage may vary based on your rifle or pistol. Yo!

Believe it or not those 177 bargain basket priced Daisy pointed pellets actually shoot Good in some guns.

177 Crosman 7.4gr Pointed pellets in the 250 or 500 count tins are ok so are the 14.3gr 22 in the 175 count tins. The 7.4gr Pointeds also come in 1250 count milk cartons however I personally haven't tried those bulk packaged ones specifically as of yet. Your mileage may vary based on your rifle or pistol. Yo!

My 1322 came with a tin of the 14.3's. Forgot about those but I shot up the tin and they shot respectably.

I'll back Gabpan on the .177 Daisy wadcutters. The newer Made in Spain ones, to be clear. The old ones were hot garbage.

I want to qualify that statement though...I've only bought them once so far (Dec 2019) so I have no idea if they will keep it up but my recent experience with these and the .22 hollow points are a complete 180° from previous years. I mean, don't expect JSB Exact groups but they do better than a lot of CPHPs I've gotten over the last few years. 

A 500ct tin is $6.80 on Amazon at the moment https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002XP1NG if anyone is interested in taking a gamble on a potentially cheap but useful 25 yard wadcutter.

The general reputation for pointed pellets is that they only group under 500 FPS and become very unstable over 650 FPS. The wadcutters are generally good to 35 yards in most rifles. If I was stuck with a few tins of pointed, I would shoot them out of the P17 pistol that is not pellet fussy or give them to someone who shoots a Daisy 880 at 5 pumps.