Daily dose of ground squirrels

I've been steadily picking off ground squirrels for the last month or so in the barnyard. This morning I was able to whack two in about 20 minutes. They were the only two I saw. Both made the fatal mistake that so many squirrels commit; the popped up for a secondary look.

The first guy was sitting on a curb at the end of the freestall barn at about 25 yards. He spooked, but instead of going to his hole he ran behind the curb. As they almost always do, he/she decided to peek over the concrete to get a better look. I don't know if curiosity kills the cat, but it's usually always fatal for squirrels. He presented a 20 yard shot and I had a rest. A headshot wasn't an issue at all, and I watched the mist go into the air at impact (ironically from my .25 MKII Impact) I didn't recover that beast as he was literally right at his burrow when I shot him. However, there was meat on the concrete and a blood pool leading under the slab. I hope he rots out the rest of them under with his stink.

The second one was sitting on a fence rail by the mini horse pen. Again, it was at close range (20 yards) and again it scurried down and out of sight. As usual, it didn't even take a minute and he back up trying to get a look of what disturbed him. He found out quickly as the last thing that went through his mind was an NSA slug.

I will never eradicate the gs's from the ranch, but I notice a difference (as does my brother who runs the dairy operation) that there are less and less of them around the hotspots of the barn foundations and junk piles (remnants of barns blown down in last year's wind storms)

theeyeshaveit.jpg

bigsquirrel.jpg

evidence.jpg

evidence2.jpg