Cutting CF tubing

I purchased a piece CF tubing to make an outer tensioning shroud for my FX Dreamline Tactical. Since the tube was $50 with shipping, I'd rather not screw it up.

I'm familiar with the safety precautions needed, but I'm interested in ways folks have accurately cut CF tubing. Also I'll be using a Donny FL moderator to tension the tube. Is there a specific number of threads on the barrel I should overlap with the CF tube?

Thanks for the input.

Diamond cut off saw. Use a mask as the fibers are not healthy. If you have an indexing saw just fit a Diamond blade to it and get a good 90 degrees. Go slow or the heat will leave unsupported fibers. A tile saw with water would be good if you can get a good 90 degrees on it. You can sand it down with 100 or finer or finish off with fine grit sand paper if you need micro trimming. I have not done this for a gun, so some one else may chime in with gun experience. I have cut carbon plate and rods so know about the dust..

I’ve done it exactly like Nathan with a piece of masking tape but I use a Dremel tool. If I have to touch it up at all, I use the Dremel tool for that too. Leave the maximum amount of threads, just be careful not to cut it too short. 😉 Here’s mine…the only thing I did a little differently is add a small nut that I ground down to almost fit inside the carbon tube. This way it tensions the barrel but I can remove the moderator without it messing up my accuracy or POI. It’s not difficult at all, just measure twice and cut once! 

Stoti
974E64DD-A4B4-4F9A-9A98-E1C92990BCED.1633238591.jpeg
C47C40C5-8B01-421F-A953-01BA9DEFB1DE.1633238621.jpeg

If you get the fibers on your arms do not rinse off your arms with hot water. Use cold water to rinse off the fibers and I mean rinse. If you use hot water your pores will open up and the fibers will get into them and drive you nuts. I was a composite tech for 30+ years in aerospace. A big YES to the use of a filter mask. Try and use a n95 mask as it's the only one that will keep the dust from your lungs. A tile cutting saw will cut CF very well.

A really big Thank You to everyone who provided input!

After digesting all of your good ideas, I pulled up my big boy pants and had a go at cutting the tubing. Given that I had 2-3 mm of leeway, I measured the length 4 times to make sure I was on the money. I then built a simple jig to hold the CF tubing (see photo). All it is is two 3/4" emt clamps screwed to a piece of wood which was then clamped to my work bench. I added very small wedges between the EMT clamps and the tubing to hold the tubing firmly while still allowing the CF tubing to rotate. To get a fairly precise mark on the tubing I used a tubing cutter and lightly scribed a mark around the tubing. For the cutting I used a Dremel with a thin cutting wheel.

Before cutting the CF tubing I practiced on some 1/2" schd 80 tubing to make sure everything was working. Then came "The Moment". I donned enough PPE to qualify for a part-time job at Chernobyl, clamped the tubing in the fixture and cut away. After a quick buff on the table sander and cleaning, came the moment of truth. I slid the shroud on the barrel and it fit parfectly. The first time! That never happens to me...

There were two motivating factors to this project: To cut the CF tubing as precisely as possible. And not having to explain to my wife why I needed a second $50 piece of CF Tubing...

Thanks again to all who helped out. Airgun Nation rocks!

20211003_151650.1633302290.jpg