Custom WorkBench (2,000+ Pellets and Slugs)

Ozark

Mar 31, 2019
MO
Always a project going on....

I built a Work Shop in my basement (first idea was a small room that I could installed for sound and be able to run my compressor to fill tanks), but it turned out I built it a bit bigger so I could have a place to keep all my airgunning in one spot.

If there is one thing I'm good at its taking a simple project and turning it into a long drawn out overly complicated project..... Yeah, it happens. (Yes, that is indeed a Mini Fridge built into the Wall Below the TV. Also Yes, it does have a Hatchet Embedded into the Front of it to act as a Handle to Open it) See, I even Over Complicate the task of keeping beer cold. (Don't get me started on the Dart Board.... It May or May not have a Wall Safe Behind it that is revealed when Pushing a Secret Button that Lowers/Raises it using a Electronic Linear Actuator)

I acquired an old school teachers desk, but wanted it to be standing/bar stool height so I fabricated some brackets and secured them to the concrete wall to give the desk the perfect height. (My wife said, why didn't you just buy a taller desk?) Well, that would be too simple and what fun is that??

After the desk was installed I was happy with it, but didn't really like the top.... So instead of getting some old barn wood that I had and building a top I decided to over complicate it and try my hand at Epoxy Resin (never used it before, but hey it looked like fun).

3 Cedar Planks, 1 Torch, and 3 Hours later I had my first bit of material ready to start. After mapping out how I wanted them to lay I built a form out of Melamine Board and secured the planks down so they wouldn't float when pouring the Epoxy. Easy enough.

After this point I realized that I hadn't order the Epoxy yet... I busted out my calculator and started figuring out how much I would need... Hmmm that can't be right? Over 10 Gallons? Yup, 10+ Gallons and that would cost about $1,000.

Plan B: Fish Tank Gravel
I poured a think layer of Epoxy at the bottom of the mold and added about 1" of Black Fish Tank Gravel mixed with a Tinted Epoxy. They brought me down to around 4 Gallons of Epoxy needed for the project which was better than 10 haha.

Plan C: Projectiles
Now that I had saved some money on the Epoxy my brain was like let's throw in a few thousand Pellets and Slugs to make up the difference... (Miller Lite makes you do crazy things at 2am)

List of Things Added into the Top:
Imbedded Decals, Allen Key (the one that fits the FX Impact Regulator aka The One I Always Lose! Well now it's permanently in my table so I'll always know where it is), DonnyFL Moderator Tube, JSB .30 Hades Pellet Tin (My All Time Favorite Squirrel Hunting Pellet), and a ton of other Slugs and Pellets

Final Note:
Epoxy is easy to pour, but don't start at 9pm because you'll be up until 4am making sure all of the bottles that rise up get popped. I don't know about you, but drinking Millers and Popping Bubbles with a Torch until 4am isn't as fun as it sounds!

Attached are some images of the Build Along the Way and a video of the Second to Last Epoxy Pour. (Can you spot the Allen Key in the Short Video?)

20220313_131614.jpg
20220319_134221.jpg
20220319_144127.jpg
20220319_145145.jpg
20220319_145436.jpg
20220417_112014.jpg
20220417_111938.jpg

20220723_194035.jpg
20221110_173559.jpg

Bonus Room Feature:

Last edited:
Nice work! Careful with the top though, because the epoxy will scratch pretty easily. It can be sanded and polished back out if needed. I like the black painted conduit and boxes too.
Yes! I have noticed this. Plan on getting some hardened top coat to roll on with the addition of a large piece of leather or gun mat to place on top when servicing a rifle.

RIP Allen Key lol.

I might have missed it but what type of epoxy did you use and how much? Id say you did a fine job and hope it brings you many years of enjoyment.
I used a few different Brands of Epoxy, but would recommend the brand "Total Boat". I first used some Epoxy that could only be poured to less than 3/8" to prevent cracking when cured. The Total Boat Brand has an Epoxy that can be poured up to 2" at a time so it makes it a lot nicer instead of having to make multiple pours like I had to on the project.

Reactions: MongooseV8
Nice setup.
I like the dart board, i have thrown quite a few arrows myself and was a pretty decent player back in the day,,,,,, though that was decades ago.

Whats the other screen ? if my friend is any indicator then its for CCTV cameras.
I wanted a game to play in my room for when I have down time or a buddy drop by for a beer and a Dart Board was about the only game I had room for.

The screen by my desk is used for Seurity Cameras that are on the outside of the house and also a computer.

Reactions: Peashooter