Will soon be dropping into this.

IMG_1306.jpg

IMG_1307.jpg

IMG_1308.jpg

IMG_1309.jpg

IMG_1311.jpg

IMG_1313.jpg

IMG_1314.jpg

Are you cutting out the shape of the stock on a lathe? Or milling machine?

I've made a few stocks. I first inlet them for the action while the wood is a square shaped blank and then I bandsaw to rough shape and then use various tools to bet the outside to final dimensions. I've been using my domino machine a lot recently (a hand-held slot mortiser) for the inletting but a plunge router works well too. Never used a milling machine or metal lathe, however. I attached a picture of the most recent stock.

Retuned P35-25 in new stock.jpg

Reactions: Deerstalker
Nice work! I'm also a cnc operator.
Thanks, what kind of equipment do you run?

More modern way to do it. It probably also makes the inletting much easier. That is the hardest part with more traditional tools.
Easier...maybe. There is a ton of work before making a cut. It does allow for creating more complex geometry.

Years back ... Richards Micro Fit had a HUGE collection of profiles for the REM 700 action.
Nice to see a fabrication as a one off .. just a whole lot of work getting it there.
Will be watching this one ;)
I actually had already model and cut stocks for some Remingtons. I used one of those models as a starting point for my CAD model which did save a bunch of time. This action is NOT a drop in for a Remington 700 stock. Close, but that only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades

Too cool. Can we see a video of some machining ?
Thanks, at this point nearly all the machining is done.

Reactions: JimD and Motorhead
Fresh off the CNC. Cut the tooling lugs off the ends and dropped the action in. I think it is going to look pretty sharp once fitted out.

View attachment 422527
My mind wants to flatten the hand grip to the same line as the butt. But that could be your signature. Extra props on all the gauge cut outs, you must be one of the few that can do that work. You must have been inspired.

Also really want an Alteros M24, unfortunately not in my budget any time soon. Also no SPA M30, or Remington Vought

Last edited:
My mind wants to flatten the hand grip to the same line as the butt. But that could be your signature. Extra props on all the gauge cut outs, you must be one of the few that can do that work. You must have been inspired.

Also really want an Alteros M24, unfortunately not in my budget any time soon. Also no SPA M30, or Remington Vought
It came to function over form. Bringing the grip bottom up starts making the grip a bit to short. I made a number of 3D printed prototypes of the grip before cutting wood.

Reactions: genericAGuser