Tuning Custom shrouds and baffles for the Vet?

F38529AF-2F31-47FB-B441-5D215F8F4BE8.1648410733.jpeg

I know that any rifle can be made quieter. But, my .22 Standard Vet is the quietest full power rifle I've ever owned, and I shoot it in the yard with close neighbors. Isn't the shroud on the Standard and/or Long longer than your Compact? Maybe an easy replacement.

After messaging Gino, he told me that there are 3 sizes of shrouds for the Veteran: Compact, Standard and Long. Yeah, I suppose I could have gone one size up and added some more baffles, but that kind of defeats the purpose of having a compact bullpup. I initially was looking for a slightly longer, custom shroud 2", would have allowed me to put in two extra baffles.

But last night I had a member contact me about making a custom suppressor which will be only 4.5" long and only weighs less than 2 ounces. It is a 3D printed unit. If that passes muster, I will be posting my thoughts.

I know that any rifle can be made quieter. But, my .22 Standard Vet is the quietest full power rifle I've ever owned, and I shoot it in the yard with close neighbors. Isn't the shroud on the Standard and/or Long longer than your Compact? Maybe an easy replacement.

After messaging Gino, he told me that there are 3 sizes of shrouds for the Veteran: Compact, Standard and Long. Yeah, I suppose I could have gone one size up and added some more baffles, but that kind of defeats the purpose of having a compact bullpup. I initially was looking for a slightly longer, custom shroud 2", would have allowed me to put in two extra baffles.

But last night I had a member contact me about making a custom suppressor which will be only 4.5" long and only weighs less than 2 ounces. It is a 3D printed unit. If that passes muster, I will be posting my thoughts.

Will this be attached to the existing mod with an adapter, or will it attach to the barrel and replace the existing one. If the latter, I doubt you will see much difference in performance. But it is interesting, please post your findings.

Are there members here that are making custom shrouds and baffles for the Taipan Veterans? I have a .25 Compact with a plenum extension. I'd like to add enough length to add at least one more baffle, maybe 2.

Thanks in advance!

My first thought when I read this is that improving the design of the OEM Vet shroud is a tall order. But then I wondered if you've got the power maxed out. A Compact Vet has a barrel around 12 inches long, pistol length by many standards. Screw in that hammer tension to where it'll just barely cock still and it'll do 32-34fpe.....and waste air like crazy. That short barrel isn't long enough to make good use of the air. 

An example: My Short maxed out around 760-770fps with 25.4gr pellets. And was loud at that. My Long, in OEM form would put them out around 900fps. The only quantifiable difference is the barrel length. People say the Long comes with a higher reg pressure but I just took mine apart and it has 125 written on it with red marker, purchased new. So both the Short and the Long have reg pressures of 125. So reg pressure can't be blamed for the energy difference. The hammer springs are the same too, in the Short, Standard, and Long (same ID, OD, length, coil count and wire diameter) so there's no difference there either. The difference of 32 and 45fpe is all barrel length. That is a lot of wasted air in the Short on max power. And that wasted air is why it's loud when maxed out.

Reduce the hammer tension and your gun will be much quieter. OR keep the power cranked up and you're going to need more volume in the husher to get it quiet. That's likely going to require an increase in length. I've never understood adding an additional moderator to a Veteran cuz I don't want the extra length, but I think folks who do it are running them at max energy output. 

Here's my gun as is, with plenum. Running the JSB's 25 grs at 865 fps. Sweet spot for decent ft/lbs (42). Super accurate, but a touch loud to my ear, hence my want for either a slightly longer shroud or standard compact shroud with a 4 1/2" moderator. Hammer spring feels like its almost backed out. Not planning on reducing power any time soon.

IMG_8276.1648587625.JPG

Once I get the moderator I will follow up with a report.