Custom R9 scope

Picked up a beauty. Looking to scope it. Given it's only 12fpe, I don't need 50x mag.

Price no object. 

4 -12 mag preferred. Does not need illuminated reticle. Must be SFP. Reticle not too busy, but some hash marks for holdover, etc.

Will be used mostly for pesting, but wouldn't mind paper punching and field trial.....

My biggest wish is crystal clear glass at all mags, reliable turrets that can be clicked, and as light as feasible.

This would be a nice scope. Only issue is capped turrets but should be extremely nice and reliable as most all Athlons are now.

https://athlonoptics.com/product/midas-hmr-2-5-15x50-ahmr/

Don't mind the capped turrets. You have experience with the glass? I want it to be my clearest scope. I have a leupold, a few vortex, a sig. So far, the leupold and sig are my clearest glass .

I do like that reticle....

For what you are looking for I would not even consider buying new. The glass has all gone downhill, most are heavy as a brick and have not been springer tested for long. I would consider most a poor choice for a springer. You have to spend $2000 to get real old school Japanese glass nowadays. 

Get one of the older Leupold 6.5x20x40 EFR with the target turrets. Magnum springer successfully tested and reliable for like 20 plus years and we are talking RWS 52/54. . One of the most used scopes in several types of competitions. No question focus's clear down to 10yds. You can get a lot more magnification range and still get a smaller, lighter and more managable scope with the older 40mm scopes. Support is off the chart best in the industry and you can get reticle changes including customs for 20 plus year old models. 

The newer Leupold EFR's are not bad at all compared to the current competition. They are heavier, have side focus, big turrets etc. I think they cut some corners with the glass and overall build quality over the older EFR models.

I would also consider an older Sightron Big Sky that focus's down to 10yds. There were labeled an SII scope but had SIII glass. Made in Japan and quite a scope. I had them on several springers and were in their day a go to scope for the springers. Sightron stopped making them because they were cutting in on the SIII sales too much. 

You can always buy the Stoney Point and others make target turrets for standard turrets if you otherwise like an older scope without them.

For what you are looking for I would not even consider buying new. The glass has all gone downhill, most are heavy as a brick and have not been springer tested for long. I would consider most a poor choice for a springer. You have to spend $2000 to get real old school Japanese glass nowadays. 

Get one of the older Leupold 6.5x20x40 EFR with the target turrets. Magnum springer successfully tested and reliable for like 20 plus years and we are talking RWS 52/54. . One of the most used scopes in several types of competitions. No question focus's clear down to 10yds. You can get a lot more magnification range and still get a smaller, lighter and more managable scope with the older 40mm scopes. Support is off the chart best in the industry and you can get reticle changes including customs for 20 plus year old models. 

The newer Leupold EFR's are not bad at all compared to the current competition. They are heavier, have side focus, big turrets etc. I think they cut some corners with the glass and overall build quality over the older EFR models.

I would also consider an older Sightron Big Sky that focus's down to 10yds. There were labeled an SII scope but had SIII glass. Made in Japan and quite a scope. I had them on several springers and were in their day a go to scope for the springers. Sightron stopped making them because they were cutting in on the SIII sales too much. 

You can always buy the Stoney Point and others make target turrets for standard turrets if you otherwise like an older scope without them.

Great advice and tremendously appreciated. 

If money is no object, forget any bells and whistles, let's say we go deep into the territory...what would you get?

Perhaps this: March Compact 2.5-25x42 MTR-1 Reticle 1/4MOA Riflescope D25V42M ( Wouldn't want anything larger than 42mm or longer than 13" and more than 21oz on that R9 dovetail. Anything larger would look goofy on the R9 and inhibit your cocking not to mention ruin the balance of the gun. You could put this scope on literally any gun if you wanted something different at some point for the R9. 

​​Scope Weight:21.87oz

• Scope Length:12.36"
  • Magnification Range:2.5x - 25x
  • Scope Objective Diameter:42mm
  • Scope Tube Size / Mount:30mm
  • Turret Adjustment (Click Value):1/4MOA
  • Elevation Turret Details:100MOA
  • Windage Turret Details:100MOA
  • Parallax Adjustment:Side focus 10yds - infinity
  • Reticle Position:Second Focal Plane
  • Reticle Details:MTR-1 Reticle
  • Field of View:42 - 4.2ft at 100yds
  • Exit Pupil:1.68mm
  • Eye Relief:Low: 3.35-3.94in
    High: 3.5-3.78in
  • Illuminated Reticle:No
  • march-mtr-1-reticle.jpg

You asked,

March-F scope the best airgun friendly scope out there (my thoughts anyway) 3x24x52, light weight and compact having top tier glass and turrets. FFP and 10 yrd parallax.

Check-em-out,

Cheers

Good brand and choice but the entire F series are FFP scopes and he want a SFP. I would also go with the 3x24x42mm over the larger 52mm on an R9. 

You asked,

March-F scope the best airgun friendly scope out there (at least for my needs) 3x24x52, light weight and compact having top tier glass and turrets. Check-m-out

Thank you. Getting closer, and I appreciate the input a ton.

I am looking for one I can purchase asap and not have to search for. Also, to add, weight should be important...the lighter, the better.

Prices won't scare me, but I don't want to regret the purchase! Lol

Unfortunately, all the best guns, scopes and pellets are on backorder. Most, not all, things sitting in stock are there for a reason. 

The only Hawke I would even consider is the new Frontier line. The glass is miles better than the other Hawke models. Some of the best sub $1000 list price glass out there. I am personally not a huge fan of the rest of their scope. The scope above would be fine for a grab it now scope if it had the Frontier glass otherwise I would pass since you have the money to pay double or triple that price. 

If you want to go Hawke get either the 3/15x44 or 4-20x44 Frontier. They offer 10 different reticles (the LR Dot looks best for you). Unfortunately, all the stock ones appear to have the tacti-cool illuminated Xmas tree reticles, most FFP. Call Hawke on Monday and ask them how you order the Frontier with the reticle of your choice. You can buy direct from Hawke. 

This is the 50mm but I would want the 44mm with same reticle

https://cameralandny.com/shop/hawke-frontier-30-sf-2-5-15x50-lr-dot/9380fc10-3254-0137-3cb3-00163ecd2826?variation=1930615&query=frontier%20LR%20dot

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1452690-REG/hawke_sport_optics_18420_2_5_15x50_frontier_30_sf.html

Unfortunately, all the best guns, scopes and pellets are on backorder. Most, not all, things sitting in stock are there for a reason. 

The only Hawke I would even consider is the new Frontier line. The glass is miles better than the other Hawke models. Some of the best sub $1000 list price glass out there. I am personally not a huge fan of the rest of their scope. The scope above would be fine for a grab it now scope if it had the Frontier glass otherwise I would pass since you have the money to pay double or triple that price. 

If you want to go Hawke get either the 3/15x44 or 4-20x44 Frontier. They offer 10 different reticles (the LR Dot looks best for you). Unfortunately, all the stock ones appear to have the tacti-cool illuminated Xmas tree reticles, most FFP. Call Hawke on Monday and ask them how you order the Frontier with the reticle of your choice. You can buy direct from Hawke. 

This is the 50mm but I would want the 44mm with same reticle

https://cameralandny.com/shop/hawke-frontier-30-sf-2-5-15x50-lr-dot/9380fc10-3254-0137-3cb3-00163ecd2826?variation=1930615&query=frontier%20LR%20dot

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1452690-REG/hawke_sport_optics_18420_2_5_15x50_frontier_30_sf.html

Thank you, sincerely appreciated.

Is there a reason other brands, say swarovski, aren't offered as a suggestion?

Anybody deal with bearbasin.net?

Swarovski makes very few adjustable objective scopes and I don't believe any are AO below even 50yds. They just don't do anything with target shooting. It is all hunting. Most of Zeiss is same way but the one below is a lot better than a Chinese Hawke or even most Leupolds. 

I would call bearbasin and make sure they actually have stock if they are like the only one who has something. They are not the most current with stock changes. I have bought from them during more stable times. 

Here is the entire Zeiss Conquest line... You might find one you like better. https://www.eurooptic.com/zeiss-conquest-v4-riflescopes.aspx

This is nice: Zeiss CONQUEST V4 4-16x50 $1100 Only down is it is 50mm (they have the 44mm in some other reticles you might like) Sorry I tried to shrink the flipping reticle picture but no go. It looks fine before I save it then i blows up to 4 times as large. 

• Scope Weight:21.7 oz
  • Scope Length:14.5"
  • Magnification Range:4-16x
  • Scope Objective Diameter:50mm
  • Scope Tube Size / Mount:30mm
  • Turret Adjustment (Click Value):0.25 MOA
  • Elevation Turret Details:80 MOA, Ballistic Stop
  • Windage Turret Details:60 MOA, Capped
  • Parallax Adjustment:10 yds - ∞
  • Reticle Position:Second Focal Plane
  • Reticle Details:ZMOAi-1 Illum. Reticle (#93)
  • Field of View:28.5 ft - 7.1 ft @ 100 yards
  • Exit Pupil:8.5 - 3.1
  • Eye Relief:3.5"
  • Twilight Factor:11.7 - 28.3
  • Illuminated Reticle:Yes
  • zeiss-93-zmoai-reticle.jpg