Custom R9 scope

Anybody deal with bearbasin.net?

Swarovski makes very few adjustable objective scopes and I don't believe any are AO below even 50yds. They just don't do anything with target shooting. It is all hunting. Most of Zeiss is same way but the one below is a lot better than a Chinese Hawke or even most Leupolds. 

I would call bearbasin and make sure they actually have stock if they are like the only one who has something. They are not the most current with stock changes. I have bought from them during more stable times. 

Here is the entire Zeiss Conquest line... You might find one you like better. https://www.eurooptic.com/zeiss-conquest-v4-riflescopes.aspx

This is nice: Zeiss CONQUEST V4 4-16x50 $1100 Only down is it is 50mm (they have the 44mm in some other reticles you might like)

• Scope Weight:21.7 oz
  • Scope Length:14.5"
  • Magnification Range:4-16x
  • Scope Objective Diameter:50mm
  • Scope Tube Size / Mount:30mm
  • Turret Adjustment (Click Value):0.25 MOA
  • Elevation Turret Details:80 MOA, Ballistic Stop
  • Windage Turret Details:60 MOA, Capped
  • Parallax Adjustment:10 yds - ∞
  • Reticle Position:Second Focal Plane
  • Reticle Details:ZMOAi-1 Illum. Reticle (#93)
  • Field of View:28.5 ft - 7.1 ft @ 100 yards
  • Exit Pupil:8.5 - 3.1
  • Eye Relief:3.5"
  • Twilight Factor:11.7 - 28.3
  • Illuminated Reticle:Yes
  • zeiss-93-zmoai-reticle.jpg

Awesome! Thank you so much.

Yah, 50mm might be a deal breaker, but I'll check out the line.

Anybody with knowledge of the zwarovski z5 line?

Just like fishing.....I researched a ton. I opted for my penn spinnfisher V SSV 5500 over the Van Staal. It turned out to be a bullet proof reel that I absolutely beat the heck out of routinely and surfcast. Get it covered on sand and salt. Hardly ever maintain it at all and it works perfectly--when I do anything it's just a quick rinse in fresh water. That's it. YEARS AND YEARS of reliable service. I saved a ton of money, and got a quality reel.

I don't want to spend more than I need to, so I'd go Hawke if I'm being told the difference is negligible. If it's night and day in terms of clarity...I'd spend 3000 on a scope. I just have never entered that territory with scopes so I don't know...

Just like fishing.....I researched a ton. I opted for my penn spinnfisher V SSV 5500 over the Van Staal. It turned out to be a bullet proof reel that I absolutely beat the heck out of routinely and surfcast. Get it covered on sand and salt. Hardly ever maintain it at all and it works perfectly--when I do anything it's just a quick rinse in fresh water. That's it. YEARS AND YEARS of reliable service. I saved a ton of money, and got a quality reel.

I don't want to spend more than I need to, so I'd go Hawke if I'm being told the difference is negligible. If it's night and day in terms of clarity...I'd spend 3000 on a scope. I just have never entered that territory with scopes so I don't know...

Clarity is totally subjective. Nobody else can decide what is good enough, what is a "marginal" difference or anything else through your eyes and past experiences with scope glass. One thing is a decent lower midrange scope with Chinese glass bought 10 years ago is a garage sale item so you lost your $400. That is assuming it even lasts ten years and you used a moderate piece of equipment all that time. You "spent" your $400 etc.

A good higher end scope with Japanese or German glass is worth about double what was paid ten years ago. You "invested" your $1200 which is still there plus adjusting for inflation ten years later. They can't make good optics cheaper even after several decades of trying. 

A scope with no glass would be similar to a fishing reel where they are all marketing driven garage sale items after ten years. Just get the Hawke Compact from the poster above and move on. It is an R9 springer not a Benchrest PCP. You will be fine. 

I can't believe I am writing this, but for pesting in the backyard, I am still using an Aim Sport Alpha 6 4.5-27x50 30mm. Yeah, I have made some critical posts about it, and that is all true, but I only paid $209.95 shipped for it. The fact that Yo/Odoyle hyped this scope so much is a negative for me, but the glass is pretty good. 

I had some trouble getting it to hold zero and it is not for those looking to twist turrets instead of using hold over. Right now, it has held zero consistently for about 3 months without me having to adjust the turrets, so I think it has "settled" in. Note, I did adjust the scope within the last 3 months only to finally figure out that the problem was with the shooter (me) and some bad pellets... not the scope.

Do I categorically recommend it? No... Or at least I only recommend it if you can get it for around $200 or less.

Focuses down to 10 yards and accuracy (for me) at any zoom level seems consistent.

Life time warranty, but that is only good as long as Aim Sport is around. The DAR Gen 2 .177 I recently bought also comes from Aim Sport, Inc. Apparently they import and distribute a number of shooting items including firearms.

Good luck!

P.S.

I have no idea if this scope is springer rated or if it will survive any springer. Mine is mounted to a Benjamin Fortitude Gen 2 in .177.

Clarity is totally subjective. Nobody else can decide what is good enough, what is a "marginal" difference or anything else through your eyes and past experiences with scope glass. One thing is a decent lower midrange scope with Chinese glass bought 10 years ago is a garage sale item so you lost your $400. That is assuming it even lasts ten years and you used a moderate piece of equipment all that time. You "spent" your $400 etc.

A good higher end scope with Japanese or German glass is worth about double what was paid ten years ago. You "invested" your $1200 which is still there plus adjusting for inflation ten years later. They can't make good optics cheaper even after several decades of trying. 

A scope with no glass would be similar to a fishing reel where they are all marketing driven garage sale items after ten years. Just get the Hawke Compact from the poster above and move on. It is an R9 springer not a Benchrest PCP. You will be fine. 

Totally agree. I know how subjective everything is!

I was thinking of trying to put the best possible glass on this one. I'm over $1,200 in for "just" a springer, and wanted glass to wow me. I was hoping someone would tell me something like this, "you will find no better at any price", but also knew I wouldn't get that response, lol. If the glass on the zwarovski z5 was league's above almost all else, I'd get that. Buy I don't want to buy a name as much as quality.

Everybody's input is tremendously appreciated. 

I can't believe I am writing this, but for pesting in the backyard, I am still using an Aim Sport Alpha 6 4.5-27x50 30mm. Yeah, I have made some critical posts about it, and that is all true, but I only paid $209.95 shipped for it. The fact that Yo/Odoyle hyped this scope so much is a negative for me, but the glass is pretty good. 

I had some trouble getting it to hold zero and it is not for those looking to twist turrets instead of using hold over. Right now, it has held zero consistently for about 3 months without me having to adjust the turrets, so I think it has "settled" in. Note, I did adjust the scope within the last 3 months only to finally figure out that the problem was with the shooter (me) and some bad pellets... not the scope.

Do I categorically recommend it? No... Or at least I only recommend it if you can get it for around $200 or less.

Focuses down to 10 yards and accuracy (for me) at any zoom level seems consistent.

Life time warranty, but that is only good as long as Aim Sport is around. The DAR Gen 2 .177 I recently bought also comes from Aim Sport, Inc. Apparently they import and distribute a number of shooting items including firearms.

Good luck!

P.S.

I have no idea if this scope is springer rated or if it will survive any springer. Mine is mounted to a Benjamin Fortitude Gen 2 in .177.

Thank you! Much appreciated. 

Good luck!

P.S.

JFYI, it stays at 27x most of the time since I know my ranges in the backyard and where the pests are likely to show up. I like to pick where the pellet is going to go on the head/body, not just aim at the head/body and hope for a clean kill. I can't do that with lower powered scopes. Anyway, that's just me. Others will differ on that approach and many of them are MUCH better shooters than I am! (grin)

If I have to track or scan for pests, I reduce the zoom to an appropriate level. On 27x it is somewhat darker (to be expected with higher magnification), but clear edge to edge IMHO. At least as clear as my Leupold Freedom 3-9x33 EFR at all magnifications.

Good luck!

P.S.

JFYI, it stays at 27x most of the time since I know my ranges in the backyard and where the pests are likely to show up. I like to pick where the pellet is going to go on the head/body, not just aim at the head/body and hope for a clean kill. I can't do that with lower powered scopes. Anyway, that's just me. Others will differ on that approach and many of them are MUCH better shooters than I am! (grin)

If I have to track or scan for pests, I reduce the zoom to an appropriate level. On 27x it is somewhat darker (to be expected with higher magnification), but clear edge to edge IMHO. At least as clear as my Leupold Freedom 3-9x33 EFR at all magnifications.

..and there it is..thank you.

My leopold is extremely clear and bright. I love that glass, just looking for a different scope and maybe some more magnification. I think you are helping me narrow it down.

Thank you.

But, if others still want to chime in...feel free. Haven't bought it yet!!

It’s a classic small rifle with a slim profile and attenuated power, so why would someone want a 30mm tube tactical scope with a leviathan objective bell on it?

It would look totally insipid snd incongruous, IMHO.

I haven't even looked at the scope yet, lol!

I just want some crystal clear glass on it. Maybe slightly higher magnification. I'll post a current pic of it in a few minutes.

What would you scope it with?

It’s a classic small rifle with a slim profile and attenuated power, so why would someone want a 30mm tube tactical scope with a leviathan objective bell on it?

Yes, it does weigh 26.5 ounces. I guess I should have said that I always shoot from an improvised rest. I never... almost never shoot off-hand. So, for me, it is worth the extra weight and length to be able to be more accurate. JMHO YMMV

P.S.

Heck, when the DAR Gen2 .177 comes in, I am putting an Athlon Argos BTR GEN1 8-34×56 on it which I think weighs about 32 ounces. To each their own. (grin)

P.S.p.s.

I intend on adjusting the regulator on the DAR and the HST to achieve about the same fps/fpe that I have with the Fortitude. That is, ~750fps for ~12fpe using CPUM 10.5 pellets.

More than enough for pesting out to 45 and even 60 yards for rats, chipmunks and arboreal rats... if the accuracy/precision is there.

I just want some crystal clear glass on it. Maybe slightly higher magnification. I'll post a current pic of it in a few minutes.

I am partial to Clearidge (Japan), but they no longer have a black version of the RM—-I have 2 silver RM’s, btw.

Their XP line is also nice but quite long, but at least it’s a 1” tube. Yes, I am partial to small scopes with proportionate objective bells.

I am actually thinking of getting an XP with a duplex dot for precision shooting, as their mildot version dots are somewhat portly.

I am partial to Clearidge (Japan), but they no longer have a black version of the RM—-I have 2 silver RM’s, btw.

Their XP line is also nice but quite long, but at least it’s a 1” tube. Yes, I am partial to small scopes with proportionate objective bells.

I am actually thinking of getting an XP with a duplex dot for precision shooting, as their mildot version dots are somewhat portly.

Thank you. Another option to strongly consider

How do you find the looks of the silver??

Make sure your shoes and tie match your gun as well! (chuckle)

Sorry... could not help myself... (grin)

Make sure your shoes and tie match your gun as well! (chuckle)

Sorry... could not help myself... (grin)

Lol