• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Custom Marauder leaking problems

Hi Airgun Nation,

I've had my custom .357 marauder for about a year and a half and it has had leaking problems for about 8 months. I use to hear a little air coming out of the transfer port at a relatively fast rate but I was able to fix that but now I have an extremely slow leak. I'm talking 50-100 psi every two weeks. I tried the soapy water trick but it didn't yield any results. it doesn't at all affect the rifle's accuracy or energy at all (230 FPE). I'm thinking since the magnum valve I have, has such a light poppet, I may have over adjusted the hammer spring. I just adjusted it to a lower setting so I'll have to wait a 1-2 weeks to find out. I have a JSAR aluminum tube on it as well. It's not a major problem but its kind of annoying me since I've put so much time, money, and energy into it. any ideas, solutions, and suggestions are much appreciated.

thanks,

Matt

Hi Airgun Nation,

I've had my custom .357 marauder for about a year and a half and it has had leaking problems for about 8 months. I use to hear a little air coming out of the transfer port at a relatively fast rate but I was able to fix that but now I have an extremely slow leak. I'm talking 50-100 psi every two weeks. I tried the soapy water trick but it didn't yield any results. it doesn't at all affect the rifle's accuracy or energy at all (230 FPE). I'm thinking since the magnum valve I have, has such a light poppet, I may have over adjusted the hammer spring. I just adjusted it to a lower setting so I'll have to wait a 1-2 weeks to find out. I have a JSAR aluminum tube on it as well. It's not a major problem but its kind of annoying me since I've put so much time, money, and energy into it. any ideas, solutions, and suggestions are much appreciated.

thanks,

Matt

Was it leaking BEFORE you changed over to the JSAR tube?

now that I think about it, it wasn't and I just looked at where the fill nipple meets the air tube and there are some small air marks where the meet. I've changed that o-ring every 6 months and inspect the new rings for any damage before installing them so I wonder if the air tube is the issue.

You "may" be able to polish the oring sealing area of the tube smooth, assuming the leak is due to rough machining. It could be as simple as the edge is too sharp and cutting the oring during assembly. As long as it isn't machined too big, or with significant gouges you should be able to work it out....you shouldn't have to, but that is a different story, with many other threads on that topic. Your best course of action prior to throwing in the towel is seeing if you can take care of it yourself...

I would enjoy seeing more details about your build--barrel type/length, porting, valve type/specs, etc. What did you do for a bolt/probe/bolt lug, etc. I have a similar project under way.

I had a Talon tube extension that I had to wrap with some tape to get it to seal properly. Maybe that might be an option for you too. I use the gorilla tape from amazon. I'm also interested to hear more about your 357. I've had a barrel for almost a year now and haven't done anything with it. Every time I start looking into parts I hit a road block and loose my motivation. If I spend the money and take the time to build a 357 I want to be able to use a magazine. Thanks.

Whatever you do, I would avoid any band-aids that result in the threads being a seal, thus under pressure. They were not designed for those purposes.....

Bearair---Understood on the mag requirement, pre-covid 19 Darko was more inclined to do smaller, one of type work and could easily up-size his .30 mag we developed earlier this year. Seems he is pretty busy these days. My .357 will be my first Marauder, "one piece at a time" , is going to be a little single shot carbine based on a breech that I traded into a while back.

1595782308_16674859885f1db4a4442b33.39065905.jpg
1595782312_17300458825f1db4a854df55.07368738.jpg

1595782406_5034996675f1db506af5bd8.92623310.jpg
So for my setup I have a 28in lothar walther un-choked barrel meant for firing slugs. the WAR valve provides the rifle with more than enough power to push some heavy bullets through. the valve port and the breech are machined for a half inch transfer port. the reservoir is lightweight from JSAR. the barrel is also threaded to fit a Donny FL 10.5in emperor, which is needed because without it, it is a bit louder than an M80. I also put a 12lb hammer spring. right now I can get 3 accurate shots from one fill (3000 down to 2000psi). At 3000 psi its shooting a 142 gr BT HP slug at around 830fps. I built the rifle to hunt deer. at 60 yards i'm able to get a 2.5in-3in group. All the machining was done my JSAR so much thanks to them. Great work and stellar service. 

Whatever you do, I would avoid any band-aids that result in the threads being a seal, thus under pressure. They were not designed for those purposes.....

Bearair---Understood on the mag requirement, pre-covid 19 Darko was more inclined to do smaller, one of type work and could easily up-size his .30 mag we developed earlier this year. Seems he is pretty busy these days. My .357 will be my first Marauder, "one piece at a time" , is going to be a little single shot carbine based on a breech that I traded into a while back.

Thats what I love about the marauder. the possibilities are endless with it. I'm waiting for someone to make a .45 version lol.