• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Custom make Hatsan compact?

Hey all,

I was thinking of making a custom compact out of a Hatsan Factor. I currently own one in .22 ( haven't shot it yet) but provided it shoots good and wanted to buy a second one in .25 would I be able to cut 3 inches or so from the barell and recrrown and convert the stock to a foldable one? 
20210217_133736.1614012929.jpg

Those are expensive, no? And heavy? Why would you just not get a dream-lite compact? You're gona end up spending probably just as much if not more. And it will still be fairly heavy/bulky, and will still be a hatsan.

I've got a nova-star I made compact ish. Took almost 10" off of the barrel. But it is still a hatsan.

DSCF5523_edited.1614013966.jpg

Oh, another thing.... Take your shroud off. The barrel is already probably several inches shorter than you are thinking.

Cutting and re-crowning isn't the best idea. ESPECIALLY on a hatsan barrel. With all the high and low spots, you're almost certain to destroy accuracy unless you put a choke on it. Or cut it at the tightest segment of the barrel. Other than the choke, that might be 8" from the leade or it might be 16". Who knows. Slug the barrel and find out. 

Yep, but don't assume someone knows what they're doing.... I've had multiple gunsmiths that do huge volumes of work, and have done so for a long time.... that still managed to do quite questionable if not entirely unacceptable work.....

Best way to go about it is to get someone reputable to refer you. I know mountain air custom does quality barrel work. But they do not work on Hatsans. And I don't blame them, lol. Other than that, I do not know anyone that does it other than seldom, and for their personal equipment.

Yes...it's not a big deal to trim a bit off of any barrel.

But, be awair, if the bore is straight, no problem at all.
If the barrel is "choked", you'll be removing the choked area, depending on how much you remove. Three inches, yeah, you'll remove the choke. But...MANY guns run with no choke in the barrel.

I've cut two barrels, recrowned, with only a tiny loss in fps, and NO loss in accuracy . About 3.15" off of one, and 3.50" from the other.

As far as adding a suppressor, there is a few shops that sell adapters to do this. You just need the barrel O.D.

Mike