Custom barrels

Hello all from a newbie to the forum. Am in the process of building a Crosman 600 carbine and am having difficulty finding a reputable source for an extended barrel. Have reached out to one shop in South Carolina and one in California without luck. I'm looking for a standard 24" long 7/16" Crosman barrel in .22 cal. machined to fit the 600, nothing exotic. Any ideas would be appreciated. Will post photos and performance improvements when the project is finished.

Reactions: Treefrog
Reactions: RAMJET66
Thanks for all of the advice, guys. I did purchase a barrel from Crosman and sent it to a shop in California, but have only gotten radio silence since, even though he agreed to make me a barrel. Will try to call tomorrow and see if I can nudge them. Meantime, I've contacted the other shops recommended here. Hopefully, they are more attuned to customer service. As far as having a local machine shop make the barrel, I don't know of anyone in the area with the technical capability. I know that sounds sad-maybe there is a shop I don't know about. At one time it was common to offer extended barrels for these guns, but as vintage pieces become more scarce, demand drops off I suppose. Thanks again for the ideas. This forum is a great resource for novices like me.

Here are photos of something every good soldier needs-a Crosman AR-600. The grips and forearm were fashioned from Canadian rock maple. The receiver and forearm are equipped with picatinny rails that hold a quick-release combat flashlight, a shoulder harness, a Pinty 2.5-10 x 40 scope with integrated green dot/red dot laser and illuminated reticle, and a quick-release hand grip with retractable bipod. The forearm has a spring-loaded release pin that allows it to slide off the barrel and frame to refresh the CO2 cartridge. The barrel is tipped with a Buck Rail suppressor made on a 3-D printer that comes off easily to remove the forearm. The foldable alloy stock is spring loaded and folds to the side for close range shooting. Last but not least, I added a knob to the cocking slide so it can be charged like a proper AR. Received a message today that my 24" carbine barrel is in the mail. I can't wait to get it so I can find out how it shoots. Thanks for your interest in my project.

AR600 4.jpg

AR600 5.jpg

Thanks, Tim. I was so pleased when my friend gave this gun to me as it showed very little wear and no signs of molestation. After I swapped out the seals and tuned it up, it fed flawlessly with the stock barrel and RWS wad cutters. It didn't seem to like Crosman premier domed pellets though. I hope to get the extended barrel fitted well enough to feed properly as well.

Reactions: Hw9720
---
Thanks, Tim. I was so pleased when my friend gave this gun to me as it showed very little wear and no signs of molestation. After I swapped out the seals and tuned it up, it fed flawlessly with the stock barrel and RWS wad cutters. It didn't seem to like Crosman premier domed pellets though. I hope to get the extended barrel fitted well enough to feed properly as well.
they tend to like wadcutters or gently sloped domes. I have had more than a few of them, but none as cool as yours. Try the JSB 22 flat nose.

tim

Received my extended barrel and was able to finish the Crosman AR 600 carbine. The barrel arrived .5mm over specs and I had to dress it down with fine grinding stones and sandpaper. After that she slid home and I was able to mate it perfectly to the loading gate. Here is a final photo of the barrel installed along with the Buck Rail suppressor. Haven't had a chance to zero in the scope to check accuracy, but so far the action functions perfectly and rips off 10 rounds in the blink of an eye. Have another 600 in a drawer and am trying to figure out how to customize it. First thing is a solid reseal. Thanks for your interest. Happy plinking.

AR 600 Carbine.jpg

Polygonal is a good way to describe it. I don't have an eye for design, but I do know how to make them function. I just resealed my other 600 and will keep form in mind while turning it into a carbine. Am looking at pre-formed hand guards instead of fabricating one from wood. The trick is mounting it to the frame stable enough to allow the barrel to be free floating. This time I'll be making my own 14" barrel. The 22" seems to be a little too long and though it's very accurate, it seems to reduce velocity. Anyone know the alchemy regarding barrel lengths?

Received my extended barrel and was able to finish the Crosman AR 600 carbine. The barrel arrived .5mm over specs and I had to dress it down with fine grinding stones and sandpaper. After that she slid home and I was able to mate it perfectly to the loading gate. Here is a final photo of the barrel installed along with the Buck Rail suppressor. Haven't had a chance to zero in the scope to check accuracy, but so far the action functions perfectly and rips off 10 rounds in the blink of an eye. Have another 600 in a drawer and am trying to figure out how to customize it. First thing is a solid reseal. Thanks for your interest. Happy plinking.

View attachment 320679
What's the story on the holster and knife in the frame behind the 600?
tim

They're just a couple of artifacts I picked up when I lived in Montana several years ago. The holster reportedly was owned by Jack Slade, one of the founders of the Pony Express and later a notorious gunfighter who murdered a man for holding up an overland stage. He was hanged by vigilantes in Virginia City, Montana after getting drunk and shooting up the town. The knife was made by a Crow Indian named Willy Lone Wolf. I bought it from him when he tried to pawn it at a local pawn shop in Billings. The blade is a piece of old car spring, the handles are elk bone, and the sheath is elk hide. What really caught my attention was the Indian symbols drawn on the sheath with ball point pens with different colored ink. If you like these, you'll love the classic cowboy art depicting a cowboy portrait drawn on a bleached-out ox jaw. Picked it up in a small shop in Wyoming. Thanks for your interest.

Ox Jaw.jpg

Ox Jaw 2.jpg